Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 D4D coolant loss and engine problem

Ollie74

Hello,

I’ve got a 2013 RAV4 diesel. 178000 km on the clock, and regularly serviced. It’s recently started blowing coolant out of the nipple behind the filling cap, requiring regular refills.

I took it to the Toyota dealer in France today. Apparently it’s caused by over pressure. In his words. The aluminium engine block is distorted and needs replacing. Cost ~€12k. He said this is not the first time he’s seen it and that Toyota aren’t interested.

I’d be very grateful for any wise words from those with a bit of knowledge.

Thank you

Certain Toyota engines were notorious for this but I thought they were about 2005-2009, and the problem was solved 2010 onwards.

I wonder if his diagnosis was accurate, or he just repeated what he'd heard elsewhere.

Can you get a trusted second opinion from someone else?

On 2/5/2021 at 10:06 AM, Ollie74 said:

Hello,

I’ve got a 2013 RAV4 diesel. 178000 km on the clock, and regularly serviced. It’s recently started blowing coolant out of the nipple behind the filling cap, requiring regular refills.

I took it to the Toyota dealer in France today. Apparently it’s caused by over pressure. In his words. The aluminium engine block is distorted and needs replacing. Cost ~€12k. He said this is not the first time he’s seen it and that Toyota aren’t interested.

I’d be very grateful for any wise words from those with a bit of knowledge.

Thank you

Dippy's reply above refers to this article: 

And, as stated, the problem was reported resolved in production in 2008 / 2009.

By 2010 Toyota had updated to the 150 bhp diesel and, for a while, we believed all was well - but there have since been reports of a very similar sounding issue affecting later 4.3s.

Yours would be the first 4.4 I recall hearing with this issue - so, basically, exactly what Dippy said.

I must admit that I thought that the engine block was good old cast iron, but that the head is probably alloy - I no longer have one so I can't pop out and check it with a magnet. So when your mechanic says "aluminium engine block is distorted" I suspect that something has got lost in translation maybe. The cost quoted sounds about the right price for the 3/4 engine change used for the original problem.

Is it also burning excessive amounts of oil? That is the second of two key indicators of the original issue. If not, it maybe 'simply' a blown head gasket that could be addressed accordingly ...

I had a Lexus IS220D with the same 2.2 diesel. I got tempted by a nice looking example with high mileage. 173,000miles Paid £1,475 for it. My biggest waste of money! Fitted new AC condenser. Used full size wheel as space saver damaged. Then new Avon ZV7 tyres all round. After 18 months and 187,000 miles,  started to pressurise and dump coolant out of coolant reservoir vent pipe. Got far worse over a few months and didn't drive it as could overheat as it was loosing it so fast.

Tried K seal but it didn't work. Last resort as not worth spending on. If you are going to fix existing engine K seal and others can block coolant galleries apparently.

Ended up getting £350 in scrap for it on eBay. Hated the poor economy around 33-38mpg 6 speed gearbox unusable too much turbo lag. Build quality apart from engine great and comfy.

You would be better off finding a good used engine and once fixed PX ing it.

Got an Auris hybrid now and it's great.

Lexus.jpg

3 minutes ago, Auris James said:

A photo of it just before collection. Buyer delighted with the alloys and tyres. As alloys nice and tyres only 2 months old!

Many thanks for the replies.

My mistake, the car was first registered in Nov 2011, if that makes any difference to the mod state of the engine?

I’ve always been surprised at how often it needs an oil tip-up, but have been reassured by the Toyota dealer, and an independent mechanic, that its burn-rate is not unusual at all. I questioned this again with the Toyota mechanic a couple of days ago. He said if it’s burning less than 0.25L of oil per 1000km then Toyota say all is well. 

You may well be right about a misunderstanding regarding the ‘aluminium block’, but the bill for repair was clear enough, and effectively consignes the car to being changed. Bugger!

16 minutes ago, Ollie74 said:

Many thanks for the replies.

My mistake, the car was first registered in Nov 2011, if that makes any difference to the mod state of the engine?

I’ve always been surprised at how often it needs an oil tip-up, but have been reassured by the Toyota dealer, and an independent mechanic, that its burn-rate is not unusual at all. I questioned this again with the Toyota mechanic a couple of days ago. He said if it’s burning less than 0.25L of oil per 1000km then Toyota say all is well. 

You may well be right about a misunderstanding regarding the ‘aluminium block’, but the bill for repair was clear enough, and effectively consignes the car to being changed. Bugger!

A 2011 car would be a 4.3.5 with the first generation of the 150bhp diesel engines and yours wouldn't be the first of those we've heard of with this sort of problem.

At ten years and over 100,000 miles any car could blow a head gasket and if oil consumption is modest you might be able to extend the life of the car by 'simply' replacing the head gasket. But you'd need a competent mechanic to do this. If the head does need to be skimmed you can get thicker gaskets to maintain clearance between the pistons and the head. That wouldn't cost anywhere near €12k but might still be money wasted ...

Your call, and as you say b ...

Being in France, with higher resale value than UK, you will have to make your own cost benefit calculation as to repair or dump. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links