Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio won't go off after key is taken out ignition

Damo58

Hi everyone, I have created an account specifically because of the below issue! I have tried to look online everywhere but haven't found anything.

I have a Toyota Yaris 2011 T-spirit and the Battery has been in slow decline for the last year. Last week the car was flat so I bought and changed the Battery. As I connected the Battery the radio fired up. I thought nothing of it so got in and went for a drive to check it was alright.

When I come to take the key out the ignition the radio stayed on. It is an inbuilt radio with a sat nav screen. I realised it was an issue so turned the radio off manually but it only went to standby and the Speakers were putting out a little bit of white noise so I disconnected the battery.

I checked all fuses etc and even ended pulling them all out individually and the radio wouldn't go off.

Today I have been to two mechanics and two auto-mechanics and none of them know what the issue is. One suggested it may be a software issue but basically they don't know.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Disconnect the battery for 20 mins and let it reset

I've tried that, no joy. Cheers though. 

• Like 1

Is it the tom tom TNS410 ? if so pop out the tom tom unit - top right eject button iirc, cycle the key a few times then put it back in

• 7 months later...

I too have a 2011 Yaris T-Spirit. When I switch off the radio and turn off the engine the radio while making no sound is draining the Battery which sounds a very similar problem to that mentioned above. What does iirc and cycle the key mean please?

Iirc = If I remember correctly and cycle the key means turn the key to the start position then back to the off position, do this a few times as suggested.

3 hours ago, tim thurstan said:

I too have a 2011 Yaris T-Spirit. When I switch off the radio and turn off the engine the radio while making no sound is draining the battery which sounds a very similar problem to that mentioned above. What does iirc and cycle the key mean please?

Hi Tim, welcome to TOC.

Are you sure that it is the radio & not something else draining the Battery (if you are, how)?

Thanks Heidfirst. I've had the AA out who turned off all the things using the Battery and did some test which showed that a charge was still draining the Battery which has ceased once the radio fuse was removed!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi Damo58 did you get your issue resolved? 

My radio has stopped turning off when I switch off the ignition, also the key fob central locking had stopped, not the key Battery I checked it. My radio has also started turning itself on randomly. I think this might have happened as I went to use my car on Christmas eve after not using it for two days and nothing. Borrowed a friends Battery charger, so hopefully my car will work when it's re-connected, but wondering what the long term solution is. I also have a Toyota Yaris 2011 T-spirit with the tomtom satnav. Thanks, Jodie

Ok, you may have a parasitic draw, do you have a dash cam ? Can/have you had the alternator checked ?

• 1 year later...

Hi Did anyone get to the bottom of this problem, My TomTom radio also stays on after you turn the car off draining the Battery and the central locking has stopped working, Fingers crossed you found the fix

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 2:31 PM, chrisyaris said:

Hi Did anyone get to the bottom of this problem, My TomTom radio also stays on after you turn the car off draining the Battery and the central locking has stopped working, Fingers crossed you found the fix

I am also having the same issue... Sat Nav displayed off even with key out and locked vehicle, it killed the car Battery.

After replacing the 12v Battery and both keyfob battery's as central locking now not working either.... does anyone have the solution, cycling ignition has had no effect.

Thanks

On 1/19/2023 at 4:22 PM, TYaris2011 said:

I am also having the same issue... Sat Nav displayed off even with key out and locked vehicle, it killed the car Battery.

After replacing the 12v Battery and both keyfob battery's as central locking now not working either.... does anyone have the solution, cycling ignition has had no effect.

Thanks

We had a 2011 Yaris come in the other day with the same fault it was the start stop module saying live replaced it and all good again 

On 1/20/2023 at 7:14 PM, Franki279 said:

We had a 2011 Yaris come in the other day with the same fault it was the start stop module saying live replaced it and all good again 

Hi Francis,

I assume the module was keeping the CAN network alive hence radio on.

Is there other modules that could have the same effect?... How did you test for this, was there an OBD fault code?

Also, Could you confirm the cost of the module?

Thanks.

On 1/23/2023 at 9:53 AM, TYaris2011 said:

Hi Francis,

I assume the module was keeping the CAN network alive hence radio on.

Is there other modules that could have the same effect?... How did you test for this, was there an OBD fault code?

Also, Could you confirm the cost of the module?

Thanks.

I can’t remember exactly but I believe it was £200ish from Toyota yes was keep the van network alive and no it didn’t give any fault codes 

On 2/5/2021 at 1:48 PM, Damo58 said:

Hi everyone, I have created an account specifically because of the below issue! I have tried to look online everywhere but haven't found anything.

I have a Toyota Yaris 2011 T-spirit and the Battery has been in slow decline for the last year. Last week the car was flat so I bought and changed the Battery. As I connected the Battery the radio fired up. I thought nothing of it so got in and went for a drive to check it was alright.

When I come to take the key out the ignition the radio stayed on. It is an inbuilt radio with a sat nav screen. I realised it was an issue so turned the radio off manually but it only went to standby and the Speakers were putting out a little bit of white noise so I disconnected the battery.

I checked all fuses etc and even ended pulling them all out individually and the radio wouldn't go off.

Today I have been to two mechanics and two auto-mechanics and none of them know what the issue is. One suggested it may be a software issue but basically they don't know.

Anyone got any ideas?

Hi I also have has the same problem, after pulling the car apart looking for the problem it turned out to be eco converter assembly on my 2011 Yaris Part no TG92C0-52030.

My issue was radio not turning off and the central locking not working this drained the batterie as there was still a feed to the radio and the car would not lock as it thought someone was in the car. If you want to test this problem unplug the converter and try the central locking it should work like mine did also the radio will be off.

The converter can be found bolted to the Chassis rail in front of the car batterie. Cost to me in the UK from Toyota was £156.00. I did see some for sale on eBay but the numbers did not match mine. my original part no was TG92C0-52030. the replacement was  TG92C0-52050. 

Hope this helps someone as this was the only link i could find for my problem and at the time there was not the answer.