Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please can someone confirm the type of 12 volt Battery fitted to my 2021 Yaris hybrid  ?

I have been given a Noco GB40 boost starter and this is only recommended for use on lead acid batteries.

Just wondering if it's suitable if I'm ever in the unfortunate position of needing a 'jump start'..

Thanks...

All 12v batteries are lead-acid!

Do you mean it's only suitable for flooded lead acid batteries (Can be trickle-charged) and not AGM (Really don't like to be trickle-charged; Prefer cyclic on-off charging)-type?

TBH as it's just a starter pack, it should be fine - You won't need to leave it connected for ages before trying to turn the car on as hybrids need very little current to start - Just connect it, put the car in Ready mode, then you can disconnect it again. Make sure you know where the + terminal is as it's not in the normal car place (i.e. don't rip the passenger seat apart to get at the 12v Battery!), but rather on a red covered terminal in the fuse box under the bonnet.

• Like 4

That Noco GB 40 is more than adequate to jump start  hybrid Battery. As Cyker says, you need little power to get to the point the hybrid Battery takes over. However, £99 is a lot for a jump starter. If you want a jump starter there are plenty less priced that suits a small 12v Battery.  
My Prius has not been used for 8 days, and not a lot on the last day. Today, I put the car into Ready mode, and just sat in it for 50 minutes (with my ipad so I wasnt bored) and just let the big hybrid battery charge up the 12v battery, just as Cyker said. I Norwich it will be good for another week now.

• Like 2

The 12v Battery you will have is an AGM type, that is Absorbent Glass Mat. There is acid in an AGM Battery but not sloshing about, hence it is a safety feature when fitted inside a cabin area of a car, which it is in your Yaris. In case the Battery bursts open, as in a crash, there is no acid thrown about seriously causing injuries.          
If you keep the 12v battery up on charge either by putting the car into Ready position as already mentioned, or use a battery charger a few times a year to take the battery slowly up to 100% charge. A CTEX 5 is a good charger to do that and more (rejuvenates as well).

• Like 4

NOCO writes that it can also be at WET, GEL, MF, EFB and AGM 

https://no.co/media/nocodownloads/format/g/b/gb40_sell_sheet_4.22.2020_1.pdf

The problem may be in the distance for NOCO cables 

battery.PNG

obrázek_2022-01-01_015318.png

longer cable manufacturer does not produce 
I've already contacted him

• Like 4

There's no need to connect the negative clamp to D point.   The Battery negative is connected to car chassis so there're plenty of points that can be used for negative clamp closer than D point.

• Like 4

Toyota has a recommended point in the manual - see picture 
robo1 wrote: 
There’s are some  nuts used to anchor the shock absorber close to the fuse box.  Using a multimeter they do show they are grounded. The leads are long enough for this.

matice_zem.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies , that was much more than I was expecting..

Really useful info.. 😊

23 hours ago, Catlover said:

However, £99 is a lot for a jump starter. 

If you have to buy it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GB40 is not needed for our cars
GB20 $ 79.95 - that's enough
Designed for car, boat, motorcycle, RV and others with gas engines up to 4 liters.
Compact but powerful lithium starter with a power of 500 A up to 20 jump starts on a single charge.
https://no.co/gb20

gb20.PNG

The under bonnet connections are to provide a 12v power source for starting when the cars Battery is flat, they are not for charging the cars 12v Battery charging this is to be done directly 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The under bonnet connections are to provide a 12v power source for starting when the cars battery is flat, they are not for charging the cars 12v battery charging this is to be done directly 

So what's between the under bonnet connections and the Battery?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

So what's between the under bonnet connections and the battery?

The under bonnet terminal ( AMD ) is directly connected to the DCDC converter

• Like 1

So when people want to use something like the CTEX chargers that are popular here, where do they connect?

• Like 1

Directly to the 12v Battery under the (RHS) rear seat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devon Aygo said:

Directly to the 12v battery under the (RHS) rear seat

Ok, is that easily done , or does the seat have to be removed?

Seat base is clipped down in two spots, carefully feel along between base and trim until you find the clip point then with hands either side of clip point pull up sharply, it is best if you can create a permanent connection to the Battery with an accessible 🔌 most charger brands offer something 

• Thanks 2

Nooo, you don't need to do that in the Mk4 - They added an access panel! :biggrin: 

It's on the base of the rear passenger seat, on the opposite side to the fan vent for the traction Battery. (On mine it's on the driver's side but not sure if the same or reversed on the LHD models)

You need to remove two screws from the door-side of the panel, which may be a bit awkward because of the lack of space in the rear, then it's just a matter of pulling on the inner-side to pop it free of the clips.

To be fair tho', access is probably easier if you pull the seat out as access via the panel might be too tight to do anything useful without removing the Battery out of its little cubby hole first, and it's quite heavy to wiggle out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it may be best, as Devon Aygo says, to create a permanent connection to the Battery that is easily accessible. I know that there is an accessories available to do just that for the CTEX 5 charger.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I’ve have a 2020 new model yaris hybrid. In the last 10 days I’ve had to get roadside assistance twice as the 12v Battery was dead. First time the car had been stationary for 3 days, the second time 2 days. Dealership today checked if there was a electrical fault (no) but said it needed a full charge up, which they did. Issue is - apparently flat 12v Battery is a hybrid issue (due to of engine running from hybrid Battery mainly it doesn’t fully charge the 12v.) Apparently there have been cases of people going on holiday for 2 weeks, coming back to a dead battery. I’m concerned as over the next few months due to work I will be leaving my car a few times for a week or two at the airport.

Seems a serious design fault of Toyota when they have a strong reputation for reliability!  
Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a solution? Am thinking I may well be better to sell the car and start afresh. 
Thank you for any advice. 

• Like 1

Joby, many threads.  It is not your problem, a Yaris problem or even a Toyota one. And running the engine and not charging is a red herring. 

I am guessing you are a new owner.  You don't know whether it had a flat Battery issue before which will have weakened the Battery

The approved solution if you are not running is to put it in to Ready mode for an hour.  The motor will run for short periods to charge the HV Battery.  It will in turn charge to 12 v battery. 

Best result when doing this is to switch off heater, radio etc.  You are also advised not to leave the car unattended.  

You are right to wonder about leaving the car at the airport.  You might consider getting a small backup battery. All it needs to do is to start up the car systems. 

• Like 4