Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

This could be the answer to our prayers - 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This could be the answer - 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

It depends if it draws current when the car is switched off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Does it prevent flattening of the Battery ??

Does it prevent flattening of the battery ??

Obviously not but you already know that don't you. 

Some members have put their own Battery monitor on the car the big plus about this one is you can check it on your phone without opening the car, if you don't drive often it'll warn you when its getting to a point where you need to do something about it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, anchorman said:

Try watching the video that is covered. 🙄

40 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Try watching the video that is covered. 🙄

“You don’t have to worry about it drawing power too much” doesn’t answer the question 🙄

I have a modest solar panel set up (House not car) which includes a bluetooth Battery monitor which I did connect to the car for a while over the life of this thread

The biggest plus is you can monitor the Battery in a stabilzed state (no need to open doors etc) fom a distance, mine worked ok up to around 4 meters from indoors. That unit consumes an average of less than 2ma so would take around 450 days to drag a fully charged Battery down to a 50% charge level if it was the only load.

12 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

This could be the answer - 

Thanks for the info. This looks like a good idea to keep a check on the Battery state. Problem is: with the Yaris the Battery is in an awkward place and has terminal covers that would interfere with the connecting wires. So I was wondering if the connections could be made to the jump start connector under the fuse box cover (modified to allow wire to go through the cover) and an earth point... would the readings be the same as if connected directly to the Battery?

• Like 1

I have the BM6.  My car is in the adjoining garage.  I get good bluetooth about 20 feet away through the  wall. 

I have a CTEK lead hardwired to the Battery and the BM6 connected to that.  I use a long lead from the charger.  Rather than Ali Express, I have ordered 3 Tamiya plugs and sockets and will make my own splitter using the long lead. That will cost about £5.

• Like 1

Robert, in answer to your question, yes, the fuse box gives the same result.  I only tested by pressing the spade to the positive blade. 

How easy it would be to hard wire it is a different matter.  Hard wiring to the Battery is the better solution.  I got my garage to connect a CTEK lead to the Battery

Look at the 12v Battery thread for more discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think in years gone by the vehicle charging system was designed to keep the 12v Battery fully charged as best it could. This improved when the Dynamo was replaced by the Alternator and mpg figures were not the be and end all.

The landscape has now changed and the charging sytem is now designed to also have a minimum impact on fuel economy.

I would imagine the 12v Battery charging strategy has a new level of sophistication to achieve that and may not always result in fully charged batteries. Perhaps a more aggresive charging regime could have acheived a greater charge in less time/miles.

Just my own thoughts and I don't have any real numbers to support them.

On the other hand we have side stepped the trauma of a 'Stop Start' system, thank you Toyota

• Like 3

Mike, I think you are right as any power needed to replenish the 12v can only come from HV regeneration which reduces the HV capacity to power the motor. 

Battery technology has probably changed to limit the full-empty range to a much narrower spread.  No starter motor to hit the Battery for a big charge, no starter motor to drag around when it's done it's start for the day. 

First time I ever gave a thought to batteries was getting a deep cycle one for my caravan. 

• Like 2

There is a huge amount of data on the web and the link below looks quite good.  It suggests the usable voltage range in 12.7 to 11.7 but recommends recharging at abut 12.7 to 12.5v.  That seems to equate to regular use say every 2-3 days.

I know we hear of people without a problem after a 2 week holiday.  I wonder what the voltages actually were at that point.  

AGM Battery State of Charge – workshoppist.com

• Like 3

Here is the latest voltage screenshot.  The last journey was yesterday with 2 legs of 1hr20.  Not sure why there is a gap.  The voltage is pretty steady at 12.5v.

Screenshot_20230214_120101_com.dc.bm6.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Here is the latest voltage screenshot.  The last journey was yesterday with 2 legs of 1hr20.  Not sure why there is a gap.  The voltage is pretty steady at 12.5v.

Screenshot_20230214_120101_com.dc.bm6.jpg

can you still show the graph with the temperature?
Thanks

for me at the moment:

image.thumb.jpeg.9db98614198f4ef5eee654a4496e84ee.jpeg image.thumb.jpeg.e837708ea994361e5d11f52eb0f49a20.jpeg

• Like 2

Dala, not tried as the instructions say secure the BM6 to the Battery and I have not tried that.

See what you make of this

Screenshot_20230214_134652_com.dc.bm6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't see many new posts about flat 12v batteries so maybe intrest has peaked and the knowledge shared has been absorbed just like the volts.

Even Ken from last week has not returned so is hopefuly sorted.

This thread must have sold a lot of CTEK chargers but my money would be on the Lidl offering.

Of course other makes are available and always have been.

Try watching the video that is covered

7 hours ago, anchorman said:

"You don’t have to worry about it drawing power too much” doesn’t answer the question 🙄

You are right and that's probably why he gave the information in the video description below  -

I’ve been having some trouble with my Kia e-Niro’s 12-volt battery and was told about the Quicklynks Battery Monitor II. It’s a Bluetooth 4.0 device that attaches to your 12-volt battery (only drawing 1.5mA) and alerts you of voltage (or problems) when you approach the car.

Hibrid posted earlier in the thread  that his unit consumes roughly the same and it'll take 450 days to kill a Battery (see below) i don't think it drawing power when the car is switched off is going to be an issue with those who are going to probably monitor the Battery daily.

That unit consumes an average of less than 2ma so would take around 450 days to drag a fully charged battery down to a 50% charge level if it was the only load.

• Like 2

Made my splitter today so can monitor the charger  as well as the Battery.  The charge sequence is supposed to increase to 14.7v though the BM6 shows it as 15v.

PS now dropped to 14.84v

• Like 1

Roy124 Gap in your readings I put it down to electronic interferance from another vehicle it most likly wont be repeated for a few days or even weeks.

BM monitors always draw a little curent unless it detect a very low Battery voltage and closes down.

42 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Can you post a picture i am sure members would like to see it.

Just a set of plugs.  Two tricks, lay all the male/female parts out for the Y.  Lay out all the plug pins male/female. 

Set out the cables so you get the + / - aligned and you are good to go. 

The other trick was getting the 2 wires of the Y fork into the plug pins. 

I will see if I can get a pic. 

• Like 2

Monitoring the Yaris Cross Battery for 5 days now I have noted the voltage drop each day between midnight at 10am.  The average loss is between 0.07v and 0.13v.  The average voltage loss is around 0.01v per hour or 1v in 100 hours.  Taking the 0.07v loss that would equate to 1 v in 140 hours.

The start voltage when the Battery is off charge is 12.7v so you could expect the voltage to drop to 11.7v between 4 and 6 days.  This of course is from a very small data sample but suggests that after 14 days in an airport car park you are looking at a voltage of around 10v.

I will continue to monitor voltage drops when my car is unused for longer periods.

From subjective reports many people have not reported any problems.  This suggests that the system starter voltage as low as 10v is sufficient to get in to Ready mode.

From experience with my Corolla when I have experienced a 'flat' Battery the voltage has been around 8v.

I believe voltage excursions below 12v for the AGM battery should be avoided.  My tentative conclusions are:

1.  A fully charged battery will probably have sufficient charge to get the car to Ready mode after 14 days.

2. A solar panel trickle charge will keep the battery with an optimum charge and avoid unwanted excursions below 12v.

3. A jumper pack will be a good investment should the car fail to start at any time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links