Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

Jump starters not good for regular use of any Battery type.

If its just one or twice a year ok others otherwise you need a slower way of charging your Battery

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Jump starters not good for regular use of any battery type.

If its just one or twice a year ok others otherwise you need a slower way of charging your battery

Thank you.

Yep just thinking of getting one to put in the glove box for emergency use only.

Concerned after reading some posts that this might be necessary after a 2 week holiday (no electric in garage either)

• Like 1

No electric in garage well in that case fit a external solar panel to the roof if pushed for time use the jump start terminals the ones next to Battery will be best.IMG_0298.thumb.JPEG.1f5b4fd29cd12ebf18f25c26a11efd3f.JPEG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Derek.w said:

No electric in garage well in that case fit a external solar panel to the roof if pushed for time use the jump start terminals the ones next to battery will be best.IMG_0298.thumb.JPEG.1f5b4fd29cd12ebf18f25c26a11efd3f.JPEG

Thank you

Would you recommend something like the below for use while on holiday?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photonic-Universe-controller-battery-motorhome/dp/B009FP2R2K

11 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Jump starters not good for regular use of any battery type.

If its just one or twice a year ok others otherwise you need a slower way of charging your battery

Not sure what you are getting at here.   For a conventional ICE starter Battery regular use suggests you need a new 12v Battery

For this Ring jumper pack,  and several less expensive ones on Amazon it does not recharge the car 12v Battery,  nor does it discharge greatly when used. 

It just supplies sufficient power to start the system and enable Ready mode. 

The 2 hr charge mentioned is the time to recharge the battery pack and not the car battery. 

When I used mine it used very little capacity and has no perceptible discharge overtime. 

• Like 1

Solar panels certainly have their place in maintaining Battery voltage and can be the ideal solution in many cases.   There are limitations. 

They don't work if you park your car in a garage, car port,  or with insufficient light. 

In winter,  in England,  you should be OK,  but if there was heavy snow it could be a problem 🌨️❄️

• Like 1

I am using a 20 watt solar panel but unfortunatly plug and usb ports are not waterproof but solar cells are.

I paid a lot less than that.

I am using a 20 watt solar panel but unfortunatly plug and usb ports are not waterproof but solar cells are.

I paid a lot less than that.

You can always build a waterproof case of your own.

You may need a blocking diode.

If you go down the route of jump starting device you can use the post inside fuse box under bonnet passanger side  plus a earth point.

Red cover is folded back showing blade for jump starting.

IMG_0359.JPEG

I got fed up with no-starts and rather than using my jump start power pack, I purchased a solar powered trickle charger which seems to do a decent job of keeping the Battery topped up when the car is not going to be used for 3 days or more.

9 minutes ago, TruBlu said:

I got fed up with no-starts and rather than using my jump start power pack, I purchased a solar powered trickle charger which seems to do a decent job of keeping the battery topped up when the car is not going to be used for 3 days or more.

Can you please share what make and model solar charger have you been using ? Can be helpful for some members. 
Thank you. 👍

• Like 1

You find a lot of solar panels on eBay 20 watt aluminium frame or flexable prices from £15 to £22

See moonmancm (967)

20W Solar Panel Monocrystalline Aluminum Frame.

This Battery issue with hybrids seems to be so common. I'm sure it would put off pensioners from buying a hybrid as they use their cars a lot less than working people. Perhaps Toyota should include a trickle charger with every new car, like they do with a car jack.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, Roy124 said:

Not sure what you are getting at here.   For a conventional ICE starter battery regular use suggests you need a new 12v battery. 

For this Ring jumper pack,  and several less expensive ones on Amazon it does not recharge the car 12v battery,  nor does it discharge greatly when used. 

It just supplies sufficient power to start the system and enable Ready mode. 

The 2 hr charge mentioned is the time to recharge the battery pack and not the car battery. 

When I used mine it used very little capacity and has no perceptible discharge overtime. 

Roy124

Do you have the ring model I mentioned in the link I posted?

Car will have regular use except for a 2 week holiday and I am considering getting it as a precaution in case I have a problem after the holiday.

No electric in garage so other option is the solar panel on roof of garage.

What would you recommend?

Im guessing there is the chance that the car will be fine without this as regular use except for holidays? (just concerned after reading some posts)

Any feedback much appreciated from a novice!

2 hours ago, Newbie47 said:

Roy124

Do you have the ring model I mentioned in the link I posted?

Car will have regular use except for a 2 week holiday and I am considering getting it as a precaution in case I have a problem after the holiday.

No electric in garage so other option is the solar panel on roof of garage.

What would you recommend?

Im guessing there is the chance that the car will be fine without this as regular use except for holidays? (just concerned after reading some posts)

Any feedback much appreciated from a novice!

I have my car in the garage with the solar panel resting on the roof tiles (covered in clear plastic as it is not water proof). Drilled a few holes and fed the wire through, but had to buy an extension which just plugs in to the existing wire on the solar panel. For holiday parking you only need to leave the panel on the dashboard with the wire running between the door and door frame, then under the bonnet to the connection point in the fuse box (under RED tab). Connect the negative to the suspension bolt close by. My panel has a blue light that flashes when charging and produces more than 14V. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

TruBlu's solution would work although a pensioner might be advised to get a handyman to do the fitting.   I know my wife would insist.  (whether I would listen is something else). 

My solutions are a wall mounted CTEK charger and a hard wired connection from the Battery.   I can then pop on charge as required.   For the holiday case I have a small jumper pack.

In March I was away for 16 days.   The car had been  valet parked and they never mentioned it the car had a flat Battery.  I then had Covid and flat Battery after 8 days.   The jumper worked. 

Apart from peace of mind it can also double as a charger for mobile phone etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not an ideal solution, but a 30M extension cable and smart charger is surely a much cheaper option than a solar panel,or if not at least a reliable electricity source.

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

TruBlu's solution would work although a pensioner might be advised to get a handyman to do the fitting.   I know my wife would insist.  (whether I would listen is something else). 

My solutions are a wall mounted CTEK charger and a hard wired connection from the battery.   I can then pop on charge as required.   For the holiday case I have a small jumper pack.

In March I was away for 16 days.   The car had been  valet parked and they never mentioned it the car had a flat battery.  I then had Covid and flat battery after 8 days.   The jumper worked. 

Apart from peace of mind it can also double as a charger for mobile phone etc. 

Roy124

Thanks I think I will go for the ring jumper pack. Seems the best/simplest option for me. Hopefully not needed but peace of mind as you say.

Various solutions but no one solution will suit every situation. 

As mentioned, solar can be used in a garage but there are drawbacks. 

Extension leads can work but are also a PITA,  a trip hazard  and can be untidy

Solar is pretty good for open field holiday parking but if your car is moved while you are away (Cruise Parking Southampton) or valet parking,  can you be sure they will set it up properly. 

As mentioned here,  a 12v reset option seems to be the neatest solution yet to be discovered by Toyota. 

Does it take a direct feed off a few cells on the traction Battery? It might be a possibke after market add on,  but negate Toyota 15 year Battery warranty,  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Newbie47 said:

Roy124

Thanks I think I will go for the ring jumper pack. Seems the best/simplest option for me. Hopefully not needed but peace of mind as you say.

Just make sure you can get at it when the car is locked down.   Somewhere accessible near the driver's seat for instance. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/11/2022 at 8:01 PM, Dala said:

Yuasa HJ-S34B20L-A or another ?

https://www.countybattery.co.uk/images/companies/1/HJ-S34B20L-A.pdf?1536313603283

add:

sorry , I found it late - Yaris 2016

after few days and some 20mile short drive, I took the Battery out and checked. The Battery is Toyota genuine AGM 35Ah manufacturing date Dec 21.

when car is off the voltage on Battery  pole is 12.7V connected to car and 12.8V disconnected

the voltage at the fuse box is 12.6V

In accessory mode, From the touch 2 service menu is 12.1V, cigarette socket 12.5V.

In ready mode my usb charger in cigarette socket shows 14.4V with a Dashcam. If I plug my iPhone in,the voltage will drop to 13V. I will stop charging my phone with it now. I think the voltage is too low to charge the 12V battery back.

interesting finding
the voltage difference at different places is so big
how big is the voltage difference between the CAN BUS and the car Battery?