Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v battery maintenance, issues, etc.

FROSTYBALLS

On 1/21/2022 at 7:30 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

In April 2020, Toyota gave the following advice on battery maintenance due to cars being left for long periods without use: https://mag.toyota.co.uk/coronavirus-toyota-hybrid-car-maintenance/

I bought my car in March 2020 before the problem was as widespread though it must have been apparent for some owners. Flat batteries after a 14 day holiday were not uncommon with many cars. Now we are better informed. 

I just want to relate my experience getting my new car this week. 

During the walk around the dealer warned me of the problem, opened the fuse box, and showed me the positive jump start connector. 

Of course the classic jump start routine is on the handbook, but good to see the salesman demonstrated the solution. 

Have others had the same experience? 

As an aside, one of the features that I really love and appreciate of Hybrid Assistant is being able to tell how my Battery is doing even if I'm not actually in the car. As long as I am within bluetooth range of my OBDII adaptor, I can fire up Hybrid assistant and see this on my phone... (the action of my phone polling the OBDII Adaptor wakes it up out of its sleep mode)

Ehgt_jz4SBGvzw8BrMnN8mGmSSRW1F2p--Qgn0q0X-FiIgWByekPwwpb4GW7w71R9XLcQFCRPxMxv8J4aQ56CW8DutvskWpLK0IdwKogkT4TovgeOYWxa9JUSBVf8BhXK2qSBJcduDkL4B5fNVc8SGpMswBy_-KLdDghhjmubGHMYm9nieMwuBpExYlC79NxX9caS2N-uNrF201O7QeuMjaMIgFapNCSAMpwUD1Zudx9IlvQKrlNY1jyBYhK8--vIC1VBQour_0ARVHegWBIfKDIhXtuFS7dwS_nQAQ5lCn4U4d1p2nXYJRqLhUGB8aYpfqpLXI6GPZ_UN4Ld5Uj48_7Yr-NYiJ4OAEgjkg09eZ9hP4CFrttZuwmJ_XCjkczRSKNJOffexhwEs3a4NXOkLawLCrdas5grJ3GeBQ7YVtbMYxaRUbO90dajEHCBqAxG54rtNfvbuRy4qNLI6qaKYkvyqQgE4ixLkePDXUTABKTksfRLPJb3rD6ooOTjTAmQeKQzO48a0J_ifPPs_TGa1-cp1J5P0NNSNTpusXOMxriE-eTKUqc9630RZ5jzNigvm1rOrohnHBiUTdV0z_zaY3xqt9bMpoM8mz9Kcm9sPUxDpR1N2KoiafCNaBOfDcOqHSzs0_0bsPdpr944KV6wmqSpd94og7xY76DXZmvoRDO9qi9i_6U64o0A_g-n5aQx5KGoVudZh5UF0bWHJLINp92AV9NEa-L-N5p6K7B5qfOdUCaDza_1rjeO8mly80=w1377-h670-no?authuser=0

(stood by the door...)

😍😁

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, CPN said:

Huh? Sorry but what is the question? 

Ahh, finding the answer to that question is why they built the ultimate super computer known as... The Earth! :laugh: 

(Sorry, hitchikers guide reference :laugh: )

• Haha 1

4 weeks is doable. Just charge it full before your trip, and disconnect the D/C CUT on the fuse box if you have 2.0L corolla, Auris, or Yaris.

Disconnecting the fuse -   sorry

https://toyota-club.net/files/techdata/fuse/yaris_130.htm

fuse number 22 ? D.C.C. ?

I will answer myself - I already found out on other servers
yes it is this fuse
if someone parks the yaris for more than 30 days
just remove this fuse

• Thanks 2

I have just read motoring journalist Mike Rutherford in Auto Express having a rant at the number of hi-tech state-of-the-art, factory fresh manufacturer supplied vehicles that suffered from dead 12v batteries at the recent British Motor Show simply because showgoers were opening the doors.

15 hours ago, Trewithy said:

I have just read motoring journalist Mike Rutherford in Auto Express having a rant at the number of hi-tech state-of-the-art, factory fresh manufacturer supplied vehicles that suffered from dead 12v batteries at the recent British Motor Show simply because showgoers were opening the doors.

Nothing new in that, when new cars are delivered, the dome fuse (interior light) is removed for this exact reason, another journo who is talking complete :censored:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If you set up a solar panel my system is not disconnected if I just moving the car it just stays on the dash.

Lets hope Toyota at least fit it to the options list if the car is updated.

If your solar panel is pluged into the ODB port then you have to disconnect it if plug is in the way plus this is only a push in socket so I hate for it to move when the car running.

It's never left plugged in whilst driving and that would be redundant anyway so there would be no point. Besides, I need the port for my OBDLink LX so that I can make use of Hybrid Assistant whilst driving (which is more useful).

• 2 weeks later...

My 2021 Yaris had its fourth jump start today in 1 and a half years. Last drive was 5 days ago and did 35 miles. Today no start and Battery reading was 4 volts. Useless, unreliable, £22,000 Toyota Hybrid embarrassment. Toyota's slogan for the new Yaris Hybrid was 'Why Stop?' .... that's if you can get it going in the first place. Would I buy another?..... NO!... If you don't use your car that much don't buy a 'small 12V battery' Toyota Hybrid. How pensioners would cope with this car I don't know.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, TruBlu said:

If you don't use your car that much don't buy a 'small 12V battery' Toyota Hybrid. How pensioners would cope with this car I don't know.

If this is such a big problem why haven't they replaced the Battery with a bigger one that will hold a charge longer?

Is there a reason why the car cannot start using the bigger Battery? (Not a hybrid driver just interested)

TruBlu, it is a common hybrid issue.  I am a pensioner, I cope.  The problem is for people that don't visit forums such as these or who do not get good advice from their garage. 

The Toyota advice is put the car in Ready mode for an hour a week.  There is other good advice here. 

A different solution is possible with other makes with Kia enabling start using the big Battery

Max, a larger Battery weights more.  My garage fitted one 20% larger and it still went flat. 

The best fix is like Kia which enables a charge from the hybrid Battery but that is not an option from Toyota. 

9 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Max, a larger battery weights more.  My garage fitted one 20% larger and it still went flat. 

The best fix is like Kia which enables a charge from the hybrid battery but that is not an option from Toyota. 

Thanks.

They missed a trick there.

I think partly the problem is the hybrids use a DC-DC converter to charge the 12v Battery from the big traction Battery, but it charges at a lower current than the maximum you can get from an alternator, so if you drive the car for short periods it never has a chance to put enough charge into the Battery - In that case even a bigger battery wouldn't help.

In normal cars, the alternator can put a much higher load on the engine when the 12v battery is low to charge it faster, but the hybrids seem to have a lower current ceiling.

I've never had an issue but I'm driving most of the day - The car is super efficient so maybe go on a long pleasure drive on the weekend... it won't hurt the wallet anywhere near as much as other cars and it's more fun than watching TV :naughty: 

• Like 1

I think the hybrid Battery is a number of small cells arranged in series. A smaller number could be connected to provide a 12v source that could activate the system. 

It maybe the way Kia manage the system. 

I don't know if Tesla uses a 2 Battery system or just one. 

My method was to attach a 20 watt solar charger directly to Battery via it own 5 amp fuse.

I do not always unplug it just sometimes if all seats are in use.

• Like 1

Apologies been following this endless thread for quite some time. just an FYI I'm a daily user for my yaris hybrid - eventually I've grown dubious of the AGM (12V) Battery (but had more than one incident where my kids left stuff turned on in the car - I've installed a roof mount dvd player) - in which case I always jump started it with an other (lying around) 12V lead-acid Battery in parallel. 

My point (hopefully worthy) for sharing here is that you don't need to replace AGM with AGM which costs three times as much - yes they're tentatively taking longer to discharge etc - so to less frequent drivers it might tip the scale. Just for you to know I didn't "risk" it on own initiative, I called up local toyota dealership and the guy suggested so..and I've gone ahead with it and haven't regret it - it's now been close to a yr - for anyone still in doubt.

3 hours ago, funky2nite said:

My point (hopefully worthy) for sharing here is that you don't need to replace AGM with AGM which costs three times as much - yes they're tentatively taking longer to discharge etc - so to less frequent drivers it might tip the scale. Just for you to know I didn't "risk" it on own initiative, I called up local toyota dealership and the guy suggested so..and I've gone ahead with it and haven't regret it - it's now been close to a yr - for anyone still in doubt.

Funky, you are quite right, any 12v Battery will work.  But ask yourself why Toyota goes to the additional cost of fitting an AGM Battery under a seat or in the boot when any cheaper wet Battery would do? 

Perceived wisdom on the forum is that a wet battery inside the passenger compartment would be a hazard in the event of a crash. 

• Like 1

You still can have a problem before your warranty expires, depending on if you have stop start technology fitted and of course use it.

Wet batterys are vented to outside ie under the floor via tubing.

So if Battery splits in a crash you thats going to be the least of your problems...if you survive.