Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v battery maintenance

FROSTYBALLS

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Could somebody please offer some words of wisdom in basic terms. I had a trickle charge fitted to my 70 plate Yaris as the Battery failed at 3 months old. Been charging occasionally during winter months and it's been fine. I've just part exchanged it for a 21 plate Chr and asked Toyota to move it to the Chr. My question is: Why is the trickle charger fitted to the hybrid Battery under the rear seat when Toyota said it was the 12 volt auxiliary Battery in the bonnet that died. Surely that's charging the wrong battery! It did help last winter but I don't understand why. Also does the chr suffer the same battery problems if not used sufficiently. Thanks for any helpful replies.

• Like 1

What C-HR have you got?

The 1.8 hybrid version the 12 volt Battery is under the bonnet.

The 2 litre hybrid version the 12 volt Battery is located in the boot.

• Like 2

From what I've heard the chr does suffer from flat 12 v batteries if used infrequently.

The only reason I can think your trickle charger has been fitted by the rear seat is there could possibly be a 12 v connection somewhere around there where the bigger hybrid Battery transforms power to 12 v for the Battery under the bonnet, why Toyota didn't fit it under bonnet I have no idea......hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along to clear it up👍🤞

• Like 1

Thanks for replying. Toyota fitted the trickle charger under the back seat in the Yaris but yesterday fitted it under the bonnet on the C-HR. That makes more sense to me as its where the 12v auxiliary Battery is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackieP said:

Toyota fitted the trickle charger under the back seat in the Yaris

In the Yaris the 12v Battery is fitted underneath the rear seat upholstery, right alongside the hybrid (AKA traction, or high-voltage) Battery.  It's an unusual location - the back seat base on the Yaris has to be removed to access it, which luckily is quite quick and easy.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am very frustrated as I have a trickle charger plugged into the port on the driver's side (I forget the name of it) and yes STILL my Battery has failed. This is the third time I am going to have to call the AA out and it is getting beyond a joke. anyone got any bright ideas (pardon the pun!). 

I was sitting in Morrison's car park this morning while my better half was in for supplies, probably for about 30mins.

Rather than switch the car off I switched off the heating/aircon, etc and left it on ready. No problem and something I may do as the opportunity arises 👍

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Katm said:

I am very frustrated as I have a trickle charger plugged into the port on the driver's side (I forget the name of it) and yes STILL my battery has failed. This is the third time I am going to have to call the AA out and it is getting beyond a joke. anyone got any bright ideas (pardon the pun!). 

That shouldn't even be possible unless the Battery is completely shot and can't hold a charge anymore.

Was the charger actually working?? If the Battery drained while plugged into the trickle charger, either the batter or trickle charger are not working properly, or the car has a very high power draw when off which would need to be investigated, as it shouldn't be possible for the car to draw so much power when it's off that it pulls more power than even the trickle charger is supplying!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

I was sitting in Morrison's car park this morning while my better half was in for supplies, probably for about 30mins.

Rather than switch the car off I switched off the heating/aircon, etc and left it on ready. No problem and something I may do as the opportunity arises 👍

If I'm sitting in mine waiting I'll always leave it in ready mode so the engine cuts in when required - I'm not a fan of accessory mode draining the 12 volt Battery.

• Like 5

Yeah, there's no reason not to in hybrids and EVs!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That shouldn't even be possible unless the battery is completely shot and can't hold a charge anymore.

Was the charger actually working?? If the battery drained while plugged into the trickle charger, either the batter or trickle charger are not working properly, or the car has a very high power draw when off which would need to be investigated, as it shouldn't be possible for the car to draw so much power when it's off that it pulls more power than even the trickle charger is supplying!

This is why I am very confused and I can only assume I haven't plugged it in properly.  Can it charge from a dead Battery or will I need to have it jumped. Thank you SO much for replying, much appreciated

I hope that's all it was and not a larger problem!!

Assuming the Battery isn't shot, the trickle charger should be able to charge it all the way back up to full, but check the status indicators on the charger as they should say if there is a problem with the charging cycle.

The problem with lead-acid 12v batteries, less so AGM and gel-type ones, but more so flooded/liquid ones, is when they are below 50% charge for long periods, they degrade and loose capacity rapidly. Some fancier trickle-chargers can 'recondition' them, which restores some of the lost capacity, but if the Battery is too far gone there's nothing left to do other than replace it.

• Like 2

More anecdotal evidence time.

The missus Yaris was parked up from 17th Dec to 4th Jan and didn't see any Battery issues.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katm said:

This is why I am very confused and I can only assume I haven't plugged it in properly.  Can it charge from a dead battery or will I need to have it jumped. Thank you SO much for replying, much appreciated

You can try to bring it back to life with long charge via suitable smart charge but once a car Battery goes down to 0 almost certainly will need a new one. , if not immediately in a short time in the future. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Katm said:

This is why I am very confused and I can only assume I haven't plugged it in properly.  Can it charge from a dead battery or will I need to have it jumped. Thank you SO much for replying, much appreciated

Usually you can only trickle charge a totally flat Battery for approx 24 hours before it is in a ready state to use and then plug a solar charger in. I have similar to a MasterPro Power Pack Jump Starter which is a lot easier. Used a few times on the Corolla during lockdown but since getting my MY22 C-CR have never needed it.

• Like 2

I've got a Noco jump start in the boot just in case🤞hopefully never need it but £60 well spent if I do😬

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2023 at 3:04 PM, Katm said:

I am very frustrated as I have a trickle charger plugged into the port on the driver's side (I forget the name of it) and yes STILL my battery has failed. This is the third time I am going to have to call the AA out and it is getting beyond a joke. anyone got any bright ideas (pardon the pun!). 

Bit late but still.......Where are you connecting the trickle charger to, as  power ports inside the car are only live with the ignition on, unless it's a special connection.

• 1 month later...

Just a question to you all I have purchased a NICO GBX55  booster for my car in the event of experiencing a flat Battery
my question is.  Is this okay to use on a hybrid ?    
2 Lt sports GR CHR 

any advice I would appreciate 

thank you 

5 hours ago, ANGIEJ said:

Just a question to you all I have purchased a NICO GBX55  booster for my car in the event of experiencing a flat battery ! 
my question is.  Is this okay to use on a hybrid ?    
2 Lt sports GR CHR 

any advice I would appreciate 

thank you 

Perfectly OK Angie. The GBX55 is way over spec'd for our hybrids but it will do the job perfectly fine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, philip42h said:

Perfectly OK Angie. The GBX55 is way over spec'd for our hybrids but it will do the job perfectly fine.

Thank you, only I been reading up on this n app you can’t use if your car has a lithium Battery but only use against the normal acid type battery 

but then the hybrid has 2 batteries !  Thank you anyway n novo I’d on charge at the mo 

thank you again 

ANGIE