Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance

FROSTYBALLS

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Tony, have you look to see if there is a date? 

I didn’t see any date on. On Amazon website says first available date February 2020. 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ACameron said:

That is fine if you want to spend £99.  You dont need anything that powerful to kick into life a Toyota hybrid.  Notice it will start a 6 litre petrol or a 3 litre diesel, you are not even turning an engine in a Toyota hybrid...... you are firing up a computer and a few other important bits, none of which needs anything so beefy.  Save money and get something for around £40-£50

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

That is fine if you want to spend £99.  You dont need anything that powerful to kick into life a Toyota hybrid.  Notice it will start a 6 litre petrol or a 3 litre diesel, you are not even turning an engine in a Toyota hybrid...... you are firing up a computer and a few other important bits, none of which needs anything so beefy.  Save money and get something for around £40-£50

👍

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Agree though I got a powerful one https://gooloo.uk/collections/titan-series/products/gp2000-red?variant=39745794998351 for £52

1 minute ago, Spo2 said:

Thats fine, Sol, if you can get a £129.99 unit for £52.  Just show what profit margins there are.

• Like 1

Going Through various posts one can see that the Hybrid has Battery drain issues once car parks for several days.

As an owner of 2019 Hybrid Corolla Limited I face this issue especially these days in which a lot of us do not commute to work (working from home)

I wonder  if Toyota did address this issue (software update???)

If not, how come this issue is not highly published   ???

Well the solutions are generally - Use the car more, Turn off the Smart/Keyless Entry system or Use a trickle charger or solar top-up charger.

I'd not used mine for 2 weeks and it still worked fine when I fired it back up, but I'd been using it regularly before that.

Most of the people having problems seem to have used the car infrequently, then left it for a long time, so the Battery never had much charge to begin with.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Can you please elaborate regarding " Turn off the Smart/Keyless Entry system" ?

1.  Does this feature surges high idle current?
  2.  How much improvement one should expect by this action?
  3.  How Do I disable the Smart Key System?

It seems to be the system that draws the most power when the car is off; You can disable it via the headunit settings, but you'd have to check the manual for the exact steps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lockdown killed a lot of batteries, even new cars off the production line had borderline Battery issues

IIRC the corolla hybrid E210 uses a standard lead acid Battery, that are not that stupidly expensive for a quality item from the likes of Bosch (S4, S5), Varta or Yuasa - starting around 55 euros

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Lockdown killed a lot of batteries, even new cars off the production line had borderline battery issues

IIRC the corolla hybrid E210 uses a standard lead acid battery, that are not that stupidly expensive for a quality item from the likes of Bosch (S4, S5), Varta or Yuasa - starting around 55 euros

Varta & Bosch automotive batteries are made by the same company. 

• Thanks 1

Also see Toyota's advice on Battery maintenance dating from April 2020:

• Like 1

I disagree slightly with Cyker but my profile leading to my last flat Battery was:

200 miles to airport - valet parking 4 miles - car moved - 16 days later 300 miles. 

Laid up for 11 days.  Battery showed steady voltage drop but between day 8, reasonable charge and day 11 down to less than 4v

Drive more, use Ready mode, trickle charge etc is just the way it goes. 

13 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Varta & Bosch automotive batteries are made by the same company. 

Maybe so, not everywhere stocks both and prices can vary greatly depending on location/country and distribution

You can disagree with me - I mostly talk s**t anyway :laugh: 

TBH anything in a public forum should be considered more opinion than fact, esp. in the cesspool that the 'world wide web' has become!

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

You can disagree with me - I mostly talk s**t anyway :laugh: 

TBH anything in a public forum should be considered more opinion than fact, esp. in the cesspool that the 'world wide web' has become!

Hahah, not s..t but fun 🤩😁

Just returned from 14 day holiday. Left car on my drive with the AA Solar Panel model AA4185 connected via OBD connector. 12 volt Battery at start of hols was 12.4 volts. 

Checked again on returning before starting the car, and level was 12.1 volts. So, with the aid of the panel it dropped only 0.3 volts in that time. I guess the panel is worth using in that case,  and at only £24 is worth the money.

I wonder how low the Battery needs to go before we start getting key entry probs etc. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Tel_man - that's really useful feedback. I'll get one on order.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just collected a 2yr old Corolla hybrid, dealer drove it from the back, we got the paperwork done and sat there to do my settings etc and.....12v Battery wouldn't even engage the the parking break. They replaced it foc rather than charge it.

• 1 month later...

Toyota guidance as follows:

Toyota hybrids generally contain two batteries: a 12-volt Battery (which powers systems such as the headlamps and audio) and a high-voltage hybrid system Battery (which supplies the power to start the combustion engine and drive the electric motors).

The simplest way to maintain charge in both of these batteries is to simply go through the normal start procedure: press the ‘Start’ button with your foot on the brake and ensure the ‘Ready’ light is illuminated on the dashboard.

We recommend you put the car in ‘Ready’ mode for about 60 minutes before switching it off again and repeat the process at least once a week.

With regards to the information above, I'm interested to know what is the charging rate from the hybrid system Battery to the auxiliary battery whilst in ‘Ready’ mode.

(Toyota Corolla Hybrid 1.8 owner)

My understanding is that it charges as fast as it needs to. Frankly, I don't bother about it. Just drive the car normally and it takes care of itself.

• Like 2

This with the ready mode for 30 or 60 min need to be done only if you don’t drive the car at all or you do very infrequently, otherwise as mentioned, just drive as usual . 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Once again left car for eleven day, with solar panel connected via obd port. Battery at start measured 12.1 volts. After 11 days, measured 11.94 volts. So, lost only 0.16 volts with solar panel connected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as an aside to the above, yesterday I had to wait for nearly 2.5 hours for my wife to finish work As I decided not to bother driving home, just to turn round an hour later. I sat in the car and, whilst reading a book, sat there with some music videos playing via a USB stick. After about two hours, I decided that the weather was rather hot, (a novelty here in Ireland), so went into my wifes shop and bought an ice cream. I returned to the locked car and got in as normal. I went to turn the music on again and got a message saying 'Parking brake inoperative', or something like that. I pressed the start button and - nothing. Then the dash lit up for a second, then I got the parking brake message, along with 'Forward Collision Alert' inoperative. Help thinks I, maybe the car has got too hot. I then brought up the app on my phone that tells me the state of the Battery, (got the unit following a recommendation on the forum a few months ago). The result showed the Battery at just under 8 volts and a low percentage, (forget what)! So I went to the boot and got out the 'Noco' boost thingy, (another recommendation from the forum), connected it up and got the car started. Phew! We drove home, a distance of about 20 miles and I left the car switched on in my driveway for an hour. The Battery monitor was then showing 100%. On checking this morning, it was still showing 100%. So, thanks to the members who recommended the above items, along with the AA Solar charger, which I also bought. I just never realised how much power playing music videos takes, although I did get the car switching off twice "to save battery". We live and learn - if the occasion where I have to twiddle my thumbs for a couple of hours occurs again, I will know to turn the power on every now and then.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links