Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance

FROSTYBALLS

Just done another reading, car has not moved or switched on since last Thursday lunchtime ( been using the mgb with the top down.)

Two photo's with everything switched off

static.jpg

static1.jpg

Two photo's switched on and the engine fired up. The voltage was higher when first fired up about 14.89 in that region but after about 15 secs it dropped down as the Battery didnt need all that voltage.

run.jpg

run1.jpg

It will always draw mA when the vehicle is parked up it has to keep the electronics in the background working, even my mgb is drawing mA and that as only a electric clock and a live going to the radio to keep it from loosing it's memory.

3 mA is nothing, converting it to watts it's only 0.036 watts.

image.thumb.png.028285653c89c45f8db94aa4e63c9e7e.png

25 minutes ago, tfc said:

...3 mA is nothing, converting it to watts it's only 0.036 watts....

3 mA = 0,003A

the value on the device is 0,26A = 260mA

3,12W x 24 x 7 = 524,16W / week

0,26A x 24 x 7 = 43,68A / week

18 minutes ago, Dala said:

image.thumb.png.028285653c89c45f8db94aa4e63c9e7e.png

3 mA = 0,003A

the value on the device is 0,26A = 260mA

3,12W x 24 x 7 = 524,16W / week

0,26A x 24 x 7 = 43,68A / week

I was always crap at maths

It's still  below normal paracitic draw for a modern vehicle.

260 mA is below the limit for parasitic drain from the car Battery?
Interesting opinion.
What do you think the limit for parasitic drain ?

50 to 80 on modern cars

Haha I done it wrong again :ranting:

Hang on , Isn't 00.26 reading not 26 mA not 260mA 

2 hours ago, tfc said:

The voltage was higher when first fired up about 14.89 in that region but after about 15 secs it dropped down as the battery didnt need all that voltage.

The initial 14.89 is clearly while the startup drain is replenished.  What did it drop to after that? 

When you switched off it will probably drop further and then drop gracefully over the next 24 hours or so. 

If it was initially under 12v I think the Battery might have a problem. 

My yellow multimeter maybe under reading. I've never have a issue with the 12v Battery with the vehicle parked up maybe 5 to 6 days a week and when its used it might do about 9 miles per week.

The Battery tester showing 100% soc soh and voltage 12.03v and cca is higher than what the Battery states

The initial 14.89 is clearly while the startup drain is replenished.  What did it drop to after that?  Roy it stabilized at 14.1 which is roundabout normal .

20230529_135016.jpg

Edited by tfc
mistake... soh not soc

1 hour ago, tfc said:

My yellow multimeter maybe under reading.

That was one of my questions earlier.  In my case I found a discrepancy between my meter and a BM6 attached to the Battery. The multi was over reading.  When I put the Battery on charge with the CTEK the BM6 readouts were spot on with the CTEK program. 

Although both BM6 and the Multimeter were both first class pieces of electronics from China 🤣 it was reassuring that the German bit agreed with the BM6. 

8 hours ago, tfc said:

50 to 80 on modern cars

Haha I done it wrong again :ranting:

Hang on , Isn't 00.26 reading not 26 mA not 260mA 

but yes
it is correct as I wrote

image.thumb.jpeg.fb7671b3fbcef8e9360a7f7cd738cd53.jpeg  image.thumb.png.af452490409bfd2765204d19df9fbcfc.png

https://www.tme.eu/Document/fb7d6a8180ca867bed7cbc86a77cbf92/UT213ABC.pdf

if the parasitic drain 45 to 55 mA, the display would show 00.05

better is clamp meter with 0.001A indicator

for example :  https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-UT210E-Capacitance-Multimeter-Resolution/dp/B075ZHDQFP

Dala, in your previous post you wrote

0,26A x 24 x 7 = 43,68A / week..

so if I have  a 43ah Battery it will go flat in a week or is there another formula for this ??

12 hours ago, tfc said:

so if I have  a 43ah battery it will go flat in a week ..... ??

Yes 😞

you wrote

On 5/29/2023 at 11:36 AM, tfc said:

Just done another reading, car has not moved or switched on since last Thursday lunchtime ( been using the mgb with the top down.)

Two photo's with everything switched off

static.jpg

static1.jpg

we will rely on the measurements and car Battery is ok

Thursday to Monday = 4 days

parasitic drain 260 mA for 4 days = - 24,96 Ah

43Ah - 25Ah = 18Ah = 42 %  ( from value 43Ah )

smart charging does not charge the car Battery by driving to 100%
so a value of 11.76 V corresponds to a discharge about of 70%

this value of 11.76 V confirms a parasitic drain of 260 mA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dala said:

Yes 😞

you wrote

we will rely on the measurements and car battery is ok

Thursday to Monday = 4 days

parasitic drain 260 mA for 4 days = - 24,96 Ah

43Ah - 25Ah = 18Ah = 42 %  ( from value 43Ah )

smart charging does not charge the car battery by driving to 100%
so a value of 11.76 V corresponds to a discharge about of 70%

this value of 11.76 V confirms a parasitic drain of 260 mA

Thanks Dala, now I'm starting to understand 👍

• 3 weeks later...

I've logged the sleep current draw peridocally over the last few days.

There is a pattern, the current drops to 100mA within the first 5 minutes, then drops to 60mA at about the half-hour mark. Then within the first hour there is a spike of current for a few seconds to between 1 to 1.5Amps, then usually it goes back to 60mA. Except for last night, after the ~1A spike, it dropped to 450mA and stayed there all night.

Current drain, 12V battery.png

Edited by camellia30
Adding a photo

I’m beginning to suspect that the problem is that the car doesn’t charge the 12V Battery properly. I have a bluetooth voltage monitor on mine after it kept going flat. The voltage barely changes even after a 4 hour drive and it hovers at about 50% charge. But putting an external charger on the Battery gets a very different response. It goes to 95% charge and slowly goes back to 50% over a week or so. The difference between the car charging and a external Battery charge is very noticeable.

The top plot is after a 4+ hour drive, the second is the charger.

IMG_7925.png

IMG_7924.png