Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery maintenance

FROSTYBALLS

1 hour ago, Mr Billiards said:

When you use the Ctek via the + in the fuse box terminal under the bonnet , where do you connect the negative lead to.

Any earth connection or a convenient part of engine, NOT the -ve Battery terminal as it can mess up the electronics.

4 hours ago, Mr Billiards said:

Thanks for that, much appreciated. I will give it a try next time I wash the car and leave it in ready mode for an hour.

I have the car for 6 months now , I do valet my car inside and out … so I do really take my time with cleaning the car … but so far I have never put the car in Ready mode … and so far so good. The car is driven though every single day , long hours continuously 

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 12:41 PM, Spo2 said:

Call me naive but is there any harm if the battery is discharged? When you come back, start with a portable jump starter, drive amd you should be fine? 

I had the same problem after two weeks off. I had to jump start the 12v Battery located in the back that’s all.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m planning to connect the 12V Battery of my 1.8 Corolla to a smart charger once every 2-3 weeks to keep the Battery in a healthy state of charge. Having read through this thread I’m not 100% clear whether I’m OK connecting the negative croc clip from my smart charger to the negative terminal on the Battery though. Would appreciate confirmation that this is or isn’t OK to do!

It would be better if you had some proper leads - the big crocodile clips used for jump-starting are not really suitable for connecting to trickle-charge a Battery long term in a car, as they can slip off easily and touch things you really don't want them touching.

Other than that, it would work though.

Note that you only need to do this if you basically don't drive the car.

If you actually use it for stuff regularly, it shouldn't need extra charging.

• Like 1

I took my car in for it's annual service on Friday and was interested to see on the service reception desk a prominent display for a solar powered Battery top up device with a poster saying that "modern cars still use electricity when they are not being driven". Toyota apparently admitting there's a problem with the Battery capacity?

£50 if you're interested!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

a solar powered battery top up device with a poster 

But you're jiggered if you have a garage or you park under cover 🤔 

And, disappointingly, it came with big crocodile clips - not something you could just plug in to one of the car's sockets. But are any of the sockets live anyway when the car is parked?

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

It would be better if you had some proper leads - the big crocodile clips used for jump-starting are not really suitable for connecting to trickle-charge a battery long term in a car, as they can slip off easily and touch things you really don't want them touching.

Other than that, it would work though.

Note that you only need to do this if you basically don't drive the car.

If you actually use it for stuff regularly, it shouldn't need extra charging.

Thanks Cyker. My smart charger came with O-ring connectors which can be permanently connected to the Battery terminals. Unfortunately I forgot to remove these connectors from the Battery of my previous car before selling it to Toyota as part exchange for my new Corolla 🤪. The charger also comes with compact croc clip connectors so I’ll need to use those. The Corolla will be doing about three 30-minute journeys a week and longer weekend journeys (1-2 hours) approx. twice a month, so perhaps that will be enough to keep the 12V Battery in a healthy state without topping up via the smart charger.

• Like 2

Has somebody tried Defa onboard charger, like 1205 or 1210 flex?

Hi all,

Corolla TS 2.0 Hybrid 2020 - I haven't driven it since January 9th. Yesterday, I went to my garage, expecting the Battery to be discharged, as it has happened before. However, I didn't anticipate being unable to unlock the doors at all. It seems like the 12V Battery is completely dead. I tried unlocking it with the key, but that didn't work either. You can see a  short video of me attempting to unlock the doors here (rest assured, I spent at least half an hour there; this is just a brief demo showing my efforts). I also tried the backup key, applied some WD40, and said a prayer. I'm positive that I was able to unlock the doors before with the key - it just clicked. However, this time, it doesn't work.

I found a post on a different Toyota forum (not sure if I can post it here, but you should be able to find it: "Toyota hybrid Battery dead key not working" on Toyota Nation's website). Based on that, I figured out that some hybrids can't be opened mechanically when the 12V battery is completely dead?? Some people even tested this with the 12V battery connected/disconnected. I still can't believe Toyota would do that, but after a sleepless night, I'm slowly losing hope.

I'm based in Slovakia. I called my insurance company, and they advised towing the car to the nearest Toyota dealer. However, this is impossible as the car is parked in the garage, and I can't put it into neutral (there are other garages opposite mine, and steering is needed to get out). I'm thinking a locksmith is my only option, but so far, I haven't been able to find one who can open a fairly new car. I saw a video where someone opened the doors with balloons; so far, this seems like the best option? Am I going crazy, or you really can't open a Corolla Hybrid with a mechanical key when the battery is completely dead? Has anyone been through this? Any other tips on how to get into the car?

Thanks.

@Fake_Empire sorry to hear of your problem. I hope you manage to sort it out. I assume the door lock isn't frozen??

If all else fails a set of wheel dollies would move the car to a place where it is accessible. 

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/catalog/product/view/id/2927/s/ws4000-680kg-wheel-skates/?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAn-2tBhDVARIsAGmStVl4uhywcFvJx8HkGiks2JRZoeCVM4c9zep0cIA2ERFu-VWvAaZPb50aAuPiEALw_wcB

On 1/23/2024 at 1:31 PM, TrackLink said:

Unfortunately I forgot to remove these connectors from the battery of my previous car before selling it to Toyota as part exchange for my new Corolla 🤪.

You could buy a new tail, have I.  However the dealer plans to swap out my dashcams.

@Fake_Empire while a locksmith might be an obvious answer, there is another option.  Do you have breakdown insurance?  Many, such as AA in UK are adept at opening cars when owbers contrive to lock themselves out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Geoffrey Bailey said:

Toyota guidance as follows:

Toyota hybrids generally contain two batteries: a 12-volt Battery (which powers systems such as the headlamps and audio) and a high-voltage hybrid system Battery (which supplies the power to start the combustion engine and drive the electric motors).

The simplest way to maintain charge in both of these batteries is to simply go through the normal start procedure: press the ‘Start’ button with your foot on the brake and ensure the ‘Ready’ light is illuminated on the dashboard.

We recommend you put the car in ‘Ready’ mode for about 60 minutes before switching it off again and repeat the process at least once a week.

With regards to the information above, I'm interested to know what is the charging rate from the hybrid system Battery to the auxiliary battery whilst in ‘Ready’ mode.

(Toyota Corolla Hybrid 1.8 owner)

On 1/23/2024 at 4:19 PM, Sergus said:

Has somebody tried Defa onboard charger, like 1205 or 1210 flex?

No I have not tried their chargers. Defa is mostly popular in its native Scandinavia and countries with colder climates. Hence not much experience in the UK. However, having used many of their products over the years I see no reason to believe their chargers would be anything but of very high quality. Good option for a more permanent installation that charges your Battery while pre-heating the engine too. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, Geoffrey Bailey said:

Toyota guidance as follows:

Toyota hybrids generally contain two batteries: a 12-volt battery (which powers systems such as the headlamps and audio) and a high-voltage hybrid system battery (which supplies the power to start the combustion engine and drive the electric motors).

The simplest way to maintain charge in both of these batteries is to simply go through the normal start procedure: press the ‘Start’ button with your foot on the brake and ensure the ‘Ready’ light is illuminated on the dashboard.

We recommend you put the car in ‘Ready’ mode for about 60 minutes before switching it off again and repeat the process at least once a week.

With regards to the information above, I'm interested to know what is the charging rate from the hybrid system battery to the auxiliary battery whilst in ‘Ready’ mode.

(Toyota Corolla Hybrid 1.8 owner)

I checked the charging rate on the 12v Battery which was approx 40% charged and it was 14A to start with. This slowly dropped. I used a current clamp metre to take the measurement.

My 2.0  Hybrid, would drop from 90% SoC charge down to  30% SoC in 6 days if left unused. The car would not start. The voltage reading across the Battery was 10 Volts  unloaded. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links