Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12v battery maintenance

FROSTYBALLS

I dunno, seems to be getting worse as more and more manufacturers put in unnecessary always-on computer junk, and putting in bigger batteries only gets you so far, and also makes the car slower and less efficient (Pb batteries are heavy!).

People are just being spoilt with these stupid apps that let them control the car remotely.

From what I've read here, disabling the Smart entry system goes a long way to mitigating the problem as that seems to be the biggest source of power draw. The next is the connected services but AFAIK there's no way to turn that off. I'm not actually sure if it's on on mine as I refused/rejected all the EULAs for use of the system so it doesn't even appear in my Toyota login!

Of course, if you just use the car regularly for its intended purpose that also stops the problem. Or just embrace the joy of driving and go for a weekend hoon on a fun road before that gets banned too...!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Of course, if you just use the car regularly for its intended purpose that also stops the problem.

The corollary is that you chose the right car for your intended use.  Clearly a Land Rover Discovery is not intended for regular shopping trips in Chelsea.  

Corollas OTOH invite you to go for weekend bimples 😁

• Haha 1

I just mean cars are to be driven, not left sat stationary for weeks and weeks or only driven for 2 miles occasionally, which I feel like a lot of the people complaining about this problem seem to be doing!

Cyker, I agree which is why an EV is more suitable for many people and a Chelsea tractor is OTT. 

We are definitely in the market for an EV but right now 180 mile range is an essential as mid-journey charge is currently impracticable. 

We also make 200+ one-way journeys but en route recharging is feasible. 

The other factor is cost. 

• Like 1

I'm with you there. That's what really gets on my wick - the fact that almost all EVs being made are giant chelsea tractors!

It's like the worst of both worlds - Not enough range for a long trip on big open roads, but too big for short trips in tight congested urban roads!

Still waiting on my 300+ miles @70mph in winter Yaris-sized EV...

Feel a decade might not be long enough at this rate tho'!!! Thank smeg for the Mk4!! I think it will still be near the pinnacle of low running costs even in 10 years time - Can't see anyone else getting close to the 70-80mpg this thing will do any time soon!

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Cheap as chips.

No longer available  😄

When Aldi was just starting up i would snap up half a dozen items and put them on eBay 🤣

• 1 month later...

My gen3 prius 12V Battery lasted over 7 years and the gen1 PIP lasted years too.  Never needed changing once.

My gen2 PIP needed a new 12V after 1 week (back in 2020) and last October needed another one even though the car is plugged in when on the drive and (in theory) should be topped up with electricity.

The AA guy who rescued me last year said it happens a lot and the MrT batteries are not that good. He had a Bosch one he could fit there and then which was guaranteed for 5 years (vs 1 year for MrT). Could have been AA sales waffle but for 5 years cover and a roadside fix, it was worth a shot.

I have read that leaving the car plugged in actually drains the 12v Battery. Charging the EV Battery definitely doesn’t charge the 12v at the same time. Lexus & Toyota advise the car is turned on to the ready state and left for up to 60 mins to charge the 12v Battery. I believe this applies to all their hybrid and EV models. 

My Gen four is on its original 12v Battery too, just turned 7 on 1st March and has never let me down 👍