Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing the battery on a 4.3

Mr.Fixit-Norm

I’m asking this for someone on another non related forum. He has a 2008 RAV4 that needs a new Battery and is wondering if he can just disconnect the Battery and replace it as he’s worried it might affect the engine management system if the Battery is just removed . He wondered if it has have a 12v supply connected while changing the battery. I think he has the OEM radio’s code so that wouldn’t be an issue.

Cheers,

Norm

Yes, it's just like that. Disconnect the old one, take it out, put in the new one, connect terminals back. Disconnecting negative first then positive, connect in reverse order. Changed mine few weeks ago, no problems at all. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:06 PM, Mr.Fixit-Norm said:

I’m asking this for someone on another non related forum. He has a 2008 RAV4 that needs a new battery and is wondering if he can just disconnect the battery and replace it as he’s worried it might affect the engine management system if the battery is just removed . He wondered if it has have a 12v supply connected while changing the battery. I think he has the OEM radio’s code so that wouldn’t be an issue.

Cheers,

Norm

If the Battery is disconnected on a 4.3 petrol model the ECU has to “re learn” certain parameters so you may find that the tick over is a bit erratic for the first few minutes of start up/driving after the Battery is re connected. If this happens don’t panic as it will sort itself out quite quickly. I don’t know if this applies to diesel versions though.

Thanks Pogle, I’ll let him know. Apparently his is the petrol model. Mines a 4.2 petrol and when I changed the Battery the only thing I had after the first 14 miles was the engine management light came on. I plugged in my reader and it said no stored codes, I cleared the code memory anyway and the light never came back on. 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links