Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2005 semi-auto seemingly seized up with a weird squeaking noise

Flumpet

Hi everyone,

I'm having this reoccurring issue with my 05 Aygo where car wont start, it attempts to crank but just makes this weird squeaking noise and never turns over. Last time this happened the mechanic took it apart, took off the belt, couldn't find anything wrong, and it magically fixed itself when put back together so he could no longer diagnose it. 

Unfortunately it's happened again today, so I'm hoping someone might have an idea about what it could be.

I've attached a video which illustrates the problem far better than I can describe!

might need a diagnostic obd reader or scanner to look for any fault codes.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wiz201 said:

might need a diagnostic obd reader or scanner to look for any fault codes.

Ah I should have mentioned this in my post. When this happened before we had the RAC over who told us no fault codes came up, very helpful I know!

• Like 1

Removing the belt seemed to solve it last time? Sounds like it could be a (partially) seized alternator - try (temporarily) removing the alternator belt and seeing if it cranks and starts - if it does then it's time to get the alternator checked over and possibly replaced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, we had a very similar issue recently bar the squeak sound...a new cam and crank sensor fixed her.

In your case its a strange one with that squeal.

I know how it feels to be in this frustrating situation. I pray it fixes itself soon.

Sammy

• Thanks 1

We had a similar problem in our 2008 Aygo but the car would start after the initial screechy noise. After a few days the Battery ran low and the car stopped altogether. Recharged the Battery and restarted the car and this time using a voltmeter I checked the voltage across the Battery terminals while at rest and while the engine was running and then I realised that the alternator had given up since the voltage did not increase when the car was running. The alternator was changed by a nearby garage for 350 Euros. The old one could not be repaired. These Denso alternators do not seem to last the life time of the car unlike other Denso parts. This is my second Toyota where the alternator has packed up after a couple of years or 60000 - 80000 km.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, fingers crossed it is just the alternator. 

I feel bad calling anyone out in this weather, so if its thawed tomorrow I'll call the RAC then and let you know how we get on!

Little car has just been towed away and it was indeed the alternator! Fingers crossed its back home and up and running soon 🤞

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 10:12 AM, Flumpet said:

Thanks all, fingers crossed it is just the alternator. 

I feel bad calling anyone out in this weather, so if its thawed tomorrow I'll call the RAC then and let you know how we get on

How much did it cost? Just comparing Sweden to UK prices.

13 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

How much did it cost? Just comparing Sweden to UK prices.

£310 parts and labour for a new alternator and belt. This is in London so it might be a bit more expensive compared to the rest of the UK. 

• Like 1