Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Good position for phone

WhisperUK

Hi I was wondering what sort of position people have there mobile phone mounts fitted on the dash.

Silly question I know but before I attach one and regret sticking it there I wondered if there was a preference

Thank you

Andy

Air vent in middle of the dash just above the screen. Works great for me. 

Safely in my pocket to remove any temptation!

If using for navigation I use one of those c.d. slot mounts. It does obscure the Mulitmedia touch screen slightly which also minimises any temptaion to fiddle with that when driving.

I don't think I'd like to have hot air blowing from a vent onto the phone. That mounting method always looks a bit weak to me.

I have used, in the past, a suction mount attached to the front of the driver's side window, but prefer the centre location.

I have a MK1 (E150), so I'm unsure if it's the same as yours exactly, however I have my phone charger running inside the dash, and my phone magnetically held in the right-hand side air vent, just above where the cup holder is for me.

I hope this helps!

Personally i found putting it behind the front right side pillar. It keeps the phone eye level so i can glance at my phone and still have the road in my peripheral vision and it doesn't obstruct the road ahead as it is behind the pillar.

I use one of those weighted bean bag mounts and put that on the dashboard and mount the actual phone mount onto the bean bag, a bit of a faff but once it's done it is so much better then mounting it on the windshield.

is there any reason besides using sat nav why you would need it on the dashboard ???

i keep mine in my pocket then use the bluetooth and voice dialing

so no need to have it mounted anywhere

if you cant use the phone whilst in your pocket you shouldn't be using it

as it isnt totally hands free , if your caught holding, touching icons on the screen

whilst the engine is turned on / running then expect a nice fine to come your way.

13 hours ago, 1.8 hybrid said:

is there any reason besides using sat nav why you would need it on the dashboard ???

Agreed. Even if using for navigation it only needs plod to see you touching the phone, when in charge of the vehicle, for it to be an offence.

As you write, calls may be received or made with the phone connected to multimedia via bluetooth.

I would have thought that a 2014 car will have that capability?

I don’t see anything wrong., if you are not allowed to touch your phone mounted to the car dash while driving you should not be allowed to do so on anything including infotainment screen on your car, it’s pretty much same thing. The new vw cars also should be illegal in Uk as these are all touch screens  and touch sensitive button for heating, lights etc. music,  How delivery, taxi and other drivers can do their work ? Even for every day driver having a phone somewhere front of you is better than in your pocket or storage, you don’t have to use it if you don’t need to as sat nav but in case of emergency call you receive you can see who is calling for example and decided to pick up or not. There is a huge difference between how you use a phone in car. Some cars have no android auto or Apple car play or similar facilities, or perhaps it’s more practical for the driver to use its phone alone. This is how I use mine every time I am out with the car, and it’s number 2 thing I do before drive off. I am using Kenu Airframe. Vent is closed so no hot or cold air blowing, no obstructions on other buttons or view ahead and when the phone is not there the cradle doesn’t protrude much, it’s nice and clean. 

E150527B-86B4-4A29-A015-8FC9CA80BDEB.jpeg

My phone stays in the door pocket. Received calls/messages are handled via bluetooth and the multimedia unit.

if your touching / holding your phone whilst the car is powered on then its an offence.

a few years ago one of the young lads at work ended up being fined and awarded points

for looking at a txt msg whilst stopped at traffic lights with his handbrake on

because his phone was in his hands

the only legal way to use your phone in the car is to parked up and have the engine OFF.

the difference between using your touch screen in the car and your phone is that you will

become engrossed with your phone and your attention will be more focused on your phone

with the in car touch screen it will be a one push of a button and thats it

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I don’t see anything wrong. having a phone somewhere front of you is better than in your pocket or storage, you don’t have to use it if you don’t need to as sat nav but in case of emergency call you receive you can see who is calling for example and decided to pick up or not. Some cars have no android auto or Apple car play or similar facilities, or perhaps it’s more practical for the driver to use its phone alone. This is how I use mine every time I am out with the car, and it’s number 2 thing I do before drive off.

maybe i should class myself as being lucky

i have voice control for music , phone & sat nav, i dont have Apple car play or auto android i have a nice 12.25" screen that can be split for phone / sat nav

or whatever i choose to have displayed ,when the phone rings i can see on a 2nd screen between the speedo & rev counter who's calling me so i can accept         or reject the call and this screen shows the sat nav directions aswell

regarding it being more practical practicalities regarding your phone in a car dont come into it whilst driving

not having distractions is the only priority you should have whilst driving

Oh if a call is an emergency then wouldn't you just answer it.

Thanks for all your help.

Agreed phones shouldn't be played with while driving.. I have playlists sorted so don't need to play with music. And the bluetooth sorts out phone calls with a quick glance down to the display I can see who calls.

Having come from a car without an onboard satnav display I have been used to having a satnav at eye level that I can quickly glance at when a hazard flashes up or a speed camera warning bleeps, looking down to the display feels strange and distracting. 

The other thing is that on long journeys I found it easier to have a wireless cradle to chuck the phone in to keep charged for work etc. I have no need to check txt or emails they can always wait. The little awkward phone slot by the gearstick enables the attached cable to be in the way of most things where as I can just pop it into a cradle keeping cable out of the way. I guess a flat wireless dock in the arm rest may work. The 12v socket in rear is usually used by the kids. Unsure if I have a cup holder anywhere but in the middle of console

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links