Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control

Mike_78

Hi, just bought my first Toyota which is also my first auto trans and first hybrid car. Really fallen in love with it, however, it didn’t come with cruise control. I assume getting cruise control is possible but is it expensive to do?

thanks

Mike

Hi and welcome.

Cruise control is ok extra however if you don’t do many motorway miles you don’t really need it plus cruise control doesn’t help with efficiency in Toyota hybrids, it just helps relax your right foot in longer journeys. Definitely can be added but for the price I have no idea. Enjoy your new car 👍

I think the wiring should already be in place (although not sure about the 'plus' model). All that is needed is the control stick, plus fitting of course. Your dealer may be able to help.

I had the cruise control switches fitted to all of the first three generations of Prius by my Norwich dealer, the first one way back in 2002.  The fourth Gen Prius had Adaptive CC as standard on all trim levels, so didn't need upgrading.  Gen 1 & 2 Prius needed the brake light switch swapped for one that had an extra terminal to cancel the CC under braking.

After the introduction of the third generation of the Hybrid system first seen in the 2009 Gen 3 Prius only the master switch and a few trim pieces were needed, and it just worked.  Even the green CC indicator light on the dash was already fitted to the car.  My dealer charged about £150 on the 2012 Prius T3.

I've heard of a few Auris Hybrid owners who've had the switch fitted and I'd be very surprised if the Prius + wasn't capable of being upgraded similarly.

Be aware that some dealers weren't as cooperative as mine, and a few were adamant it wasn't possible, even when told about my experience.

23 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

if you don’t do many motorway miles you don’t really need it plus cruise control doesn’t help with efficiency in Toyota hybrids

I disagree with both statements.

I use CC all the time off the motorway.  I find it especially useful in the the city and suburbs to maintain 30 and 45 MPH, where practical.  it is not useful in 20 MPH slow zones though as the Prius CC cannot be use under 23 MPH.

About the second statement, you have to be a very good hypermiler to do better than the CC on a motorway run, and I'm talking about the long game here, not just a 10 - 20 mile run.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Joseph D said:

...I use CC all the time off the motorway.  I find it especially useful in the the city and suburbs to maintain 30 and 45 MPH, where practical.  it is not useful in 20 MPH slow zones though as the Prius CC cannot be use under 23 MPH.

About the second statement, you have to be a very good hypermiler to do better than the CC on a motorway run, and I'm talking about the long game here, not just a 10 - 20 mile run.

I use mine all the time too.  I also like to let the CC take care of accelerating a lot of the time, when leaving roundabouts for example - in ECO mode it's smooth  and gentle.

The 5th Gen RAV4 CC can be set down to 18 mph so I find it incredibly useful in 20 mph zones (we have some fairly long ones around here).  Also, the CC can be set to resume from 0 mph, so at traffic lights I can hit resume while stopped (even with nothing in front of me), take my foot off the brake and the car stays stationary.  When the lights change, touching the resume button (CC is now buttons on steering wheel rather than a stalk) or tap the accelerator and the car gently accelerates up to my set speed (or uses radar to match speed of a car in front if there is one).

I guess like any tool, people will have their own preference on how to use it, so each to their own.  I would really, really hate driving without CC now.

• Like 1

I’d love to have CC for a mix of comfort and economy. Loads of speed cameras in my area so it may help. Hoping my local dealer can accommodate me with regard to getting it fitted; I have heard many dealers do not want to get involved where CC is involved. Thanks for the help guys!

Mike

Ok, It’s all different for the different people. My experience is that I do better mpg  without CC and without even trying too hard. Toyota hybrid system works differently than standard cars but the CC operates the same way and here what happens: 

While cruising at 65mph on flat road all its fine the ice and e motor has their best ratio and the car is propelled in most efficient way but in a situation when start climbing a long hill ahead the CC wait until the car is already on climb side and then force the ice at higher rpm to provide enough torque to maintain the 65mph set speed and doing so consumption rises significantly and the noise is not pleasant at all. ( all Toyota hybrids from 2005-2015)
On the other side if you drive without CC and anticipate the road ahead and accelerate smoothly to around 70-75mph before the actual climbing begins you are entering the climb side at higher speed with enough power from both engine and e motor to maintain climb and then let it loose a bit of speed but you will never hear engine screaming and your fuel consumption will be slightly better than with CC. Pretty much same as pulse and glide technique but at motorway speeds.  Another thing in Prius plus 2013 only simple CC can be fitted without ability to maintain distance so no possible to use in town and country lanes with presence of other road users or from low speeds.  That was my point. I do like my CC and use it from time to time especially on nights when driving through motorway road works, or when motorway is almost empty. 
🚗👍

Absolutely agree with you in regards to hilly terrain and I, too, mostly navigate hills, particularly if they are of the steeper variety, without the aid of the CC.  There is one climb of some length and has a reasonable gradient, too, that I do use on CC.  The nature of the hill is such that it is just not possible to do better manually.  However the decent of that same hill is a lot steeper and I have to take the CC off as you need to brake to stop the car running away.

Around town, for sure, it is at times hard to use CC particularly when it is busy and you have cars in front.  But nevertheless I do use it much more than from time to time, and particularly so in those long straight stretches where they like to put speed cameras, as I find the CC is invaluable for avoiding speeding fines.

Like say, It’s all different for the different people.

• Like 1