Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto gearbox confusion

Saabguy

Hi guys, thanks to Mr Khan I have to sell my Passat diesel with DSG gearbox in favour of an auto petrol car. I've shortlisted the Skoda Superb with DSG and the Avensis 1.8 auto but I'm somewhat confused about the Toyota gearbox offerings on a 2011/12 Avensis. Am I right in saying there's a CVT and the M Drive S which is essentially a manual gearbox with electronic changing ala VW's DSG? There's very little info and a lot of ads just say "auto" not stipulating what version of auto the car has? Any clarification you can provide would be very helpful, TIA

Andy

Multidrive S is Toyota's name for the CVT - same name used for the CVT versions of the Yaris, Verso S, etc

I have the Multidrive in my 2011 Yaris. It is exceptional. 

I do not believe it is in any way similar to DSG .

Mr Khan forced you very well, get rid of the Passat and avoid any VAG used car with DSG transmission especially if you drive in town or in  city. One idea, Toyota hybrid, perhaps Auris Estate or Prius Plus will suits you best for city driving in terms of comfort, efficiency, reliability and performance, plus environmentally best with lowest risk of getting pushed to sell again in near future by Khan or whoever comes after him. 🤭🚗👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Mr Khan forced you very well, get rid of the Passat and avoid any VAG used car with DSG transmission especially if you drive in town or in  city. One idea, Toyota hybrid, perhaps Auris Estate or Prius Plus will suits you best for city driving in terms of comfort, efficiency, reliability and performance, plus environmentally best with lowest risk of getting pushed to sell again in near future by Khan or whoever comes after him. 🤭🚗👍

Never had an issue in over 4 years with my DSG box, smooth and seemless changes but that's because I change the fluid/filter every other year as opposed to every 4 years/40k miles. So the M Drive is essentially a CVT but with a different name, thanks for the clarification. 👍

Toyota M drive is dam near faultless. I have yet to hear of a problem with the M Drive transmission unlike Nissan who have had alarming problems with theirs cvt`s. M Drive has been with us since 2011, I think and that is a remarkable record.

Something has just sprung to mind, if the M Drive S is a CVT why do M Drive vehicles have paddle shifters on the steering wheel? The models advertised as CVT don't have paddle shifters, every M Drive S on Autotrader has paddle shifters. A continuously variable transmission is exactly that, it doesn't change gear per say so why would it have paddle shift? 

Most of the bigger cars with cvt transmission has paddle shifter to simulate gear changes similar to S mode in conventional auto or DSG, (fake gear changes) it does actually change the ratio between belt pulleys but driving experience not as good as the real thing. You can ask the seller if cvt or not prior to purchase if unable to test drive. If you like DSG and never had cvt before these are exactly opposite to the DSG transmission in terms of drivability, acceleration. Not sure if you going to like it. 👍

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Most of the bigger cars with cvt transmission has paddle shifter to simulate gear changes similar to S mode in conventional auto or DSG, (fake gear changes) it does actually change the ratio between belt pulleys but driving experience not as good as the real thing. You can ask the seller if cvt or not prior to purchase if unable to test drive. If you like DSG and never had cvt before these are exactly opposite to the DSG transmission in terms of drivability, acceleration. Not sure if you going to like it. 👍

I find it to be outstanding in the 1.3 Yaris and I have the e-cvt version in the V6 Lexus. They are identical in terms of linear forward movement. No perceptive movement between gears, as there are no gears ! I have yet to read/hear of failures in these Toyota/Lexus transmissions.

If one does not try it , then one does not know!

10 hours ago, Saabguy said:

Something has just sprung to mind, if the M Drive S is a CVT why do M Drive vehicles have paddle shifters on the steering wheel? The models advertised as CVT don't have paddle shifters, every M Drive S on Autotrader has paddle shifters. A continuously variable transmission is exactly that, it doesn't change gear per say so why would it have paddle shift? 

Extracted from a Toyota Europe article:

"Multidrive S Transmission

Multidrive S is Toyota's highly-advanced Continuously Variable Transmission system. Delivering an infinite number of ratios through two cone-shaped pulleys and a high-strength steel belt, Multidrive S offers an incredibly smooth, seamless driving experience.

Because the Multidrive S transmission maintains the most efficient engine rpm at any given vehicle speed, it combines low cruising-speed noise with low CO2 emission and high fuel efficiency, yet can also maintain the ideal ratio to deliver peak engine power for maximum performance.

Multidrive S also features a sequential, manual 7-speed mode, with gear selection performed either by the gear shift lever or steering wheel-mounted paddle shifts."

As regards advertisements describing cars as CVT's, at the end of the day Multidrive S is a CVT, so that is correct, and paddle shifts may or may not be mentioned.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saabguy said:

To simulate gear changes, some people (insert boy racers) think paddles make it some sort of manual, controllable gear change (it doesn't) and is a popular gimmick 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links