Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2021 Corolla

Chriss27

Has anyone driven the new refreshed 2021 Corolla compared to previous model? Is the handling the same, any difference other than cosmetic appearance. Just a question to see what people’s thoughts are. Is it even available yet ? Thanks 

I wasn’t aware that they have or intend to refresh the corolla model range just had a look and the 2021 on the website looks exactly the same.

If anything, there may have been minor spec adjustments for the new model year - no more than that.

• Like 1

Which is what I said.

• Like 2

I’ve got a 2021 Model Year Design TS, with the upgraded interior & wheels. I test drove the previous MY, but as the link above suggests there are no changes highlighted to suspension or drivetrain, it’s purely cosmetic / tech. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes, my dealer has sent me a video of the  2021 model, as I am over half way through my finance, so they want me to get the latest plate! The cosmetic changes are there, plus Android Auto / Car play included , but apart from that it is just the new plate they are selling. Not sufficient incentive to buy again when I have only covered just over 9K miles in 21 months. Like the new wheels, though, and the upholstery trim changes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If I buy a new Toyota I will probably keep it for 10+ years, at least I know it’s trouble free. 👍 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If I buy a new Toyota I will probably keep it for 10+ years, at least I know it’s trouble free. 👍 

Yes, I agree Tony, I kept my last car for 17 years. My dilemma is that I bought the Corolla for family reasons at the time, and the desire to go towards EV. EV 2 years ago was not an option, I needed to travel over 190 miles at a moments notice, and the town in Devon I needed to get to had no public charge points. My only possible choice was E Nero with a year waiting list, or Tesla, way out of my price range, and reports of iffy parts supply if needed etc. So Corolla hybrid ticked more of the boxes. Now, EV is becoming a real possibility with better ranges, more charge points even in Devon. So I see myself buying an EV soon, and I hope it will be a Toyota with a realistic range, not 150 miles if you are lucky on a summer day, with no air con on, no wind resistance, down hill,  and with an egg under your accelerator pedal to eak out the range! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Timmon said:

Yes, I agree Tony, I kept my last car for 17 years. My dilemma is that I bought the Corolla for family reasons at the time, and the desire to go towards EV. EV 2 years ago was not an option, I needed to travel over 190 miles at a moments notice, and the town in Devon I needed to get to had no public charge points. My only possible choice was E Nero with a year waiting list, or Tesla, way out of my price range, and reports of iffy parts supply if needed etc. So Corolla hybrid ticked more of the boxes. Now, EV is becoming a real possibility with better ranges, more charge points even in Devon. So I see myself buying an EV soon, and I hope it will be a Toyota with a realistic range, not 150 miles if you are lucky on a summer day, with no air con on, no wind resistance, down hill,  and with an egg under your accelerator pedal to eak out the range! 

Absolutely, more and more reviewers recommend Toyota hybrids as Best Buy at current times, they will be future proof for the next 10 years at least and gives you best of both worlds. Ev’s are perhaps the future but Toyota hybrids are today. Anything else except cars with special use like tracks, rally etc are just waste of money. Why would you go and buy a new golf, Leon, Focus, Astra  when you can get Toyota hybrids👌, saving £3-5k of the list price and you loose them immediately after you got your car delivered.🤭🚗🚙

• Like 3

My next car will be an EV as long as I can find one with a large enough boot for my golf gear. With the passing of my Dad last year I no longer have any requirement to travel a long distance in one journey. Any time I want to go further than the local area I will be happy to break the journey into segments.

And to be honest I can see a big attraction in that. Instead of spending half the day driving 190 miles to North Wales I can travel for a couple of hours in the evening, stay in a B&B then complete the journey in a couple of hours first thing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AndrueC said:

My next car will be an EV as long as I can find one with a large enough boot for my golf gear. With the passing of my Dad last year I no longer have any requirement to travel a long distance in one journey. Any time I want to go further than the local area I will be happy to break the journey into segments.

And to be honest I can see a big attraction in that. Instead of spending half the day driving 190 miles to North Wales I can travel for a couple of hours in the evening, stay in a B&B then complete the journey in a couple of hours first thing.

Not bad idea, vw id3 has good one for £29990 with 58kwh Battery 201bhp motor and 263 miles of range, which realistically will be around 200 miles enough to take you to your destination. Boot is bigger than Corolla hatchback and has overall similar dimensions, I am closely watching this particular car, however waiting for Toyota to bring their own Ev’s might be a good idea for obvious reasons, reliability, customer service and equipment for money. 👍🚘

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Not bad idea, vw id3 has good one for £29990 with 58kwh battery 201bhp motor and 263 miles of range, which realistically will be around 200 miles enough to take you to your destination. Boot is bigger than Corolla hatchback and has overall similar dimensions, I am closely watching this particular car, however waiting for Toyota to bring their own Ev’s might be a good idea for obvious reasons, reliability, customer service and equipment for money. 👍🚘

Plus Toyota make great cars 😉

• Like 1

Yes, I am very excited by the ID3, once they have ironed out the software problems. I prefer it to the Nero. 

But I am hoping Toyota will catch up soon. Like you Andru, the need to get to Devon fast has gone now due to my brother passing. Since owning the Corolla 21 months ago, the EV situation has improved dramatically in all aspects (range, charge points, vehicle price), and I think in 2 years time, even reps will have access to a car that will go all day without charging. Even the Amazon delivery van around Brackley is electric now (although he leaves the van at the bottom of the road sometimes, and walks round with parcels when the Battery is getting low!).

Will there be an E Corolla soon....

• Like 1

Yeah I noticed that Amazon were using electric vans now. It's quite eerie when they pull off and all you can here is a slight whine.

• Like 1

Yes, strangely, they don't have the engine noise I thought was law on new EV's now. I heard a Tesla with an engine noise for the first time last week. Quite threw me, as I thought I was hearing a petrol engine in a Tesla, until I realised it must be the recording they play through Speakers to warn pedestrians.

I'd be interested to hear the latest Corolla noise for Hybrids in EV mode.

11 minutes ago, Timmon said:

Yes, strangely, they don't have the engine noise I thought was law on new EV's now.

No, from a previous topic:

"From 1st July 2019 electric and hybrid vehicles with four wheels and new Type Approvals will be required to have an acoustic vehicle alert system (AVAS) fitted.

All new electric and hybrid vehicles built from 1st July 2021 will be required to have AVAS fitted."

If the Amazon vehicles' Type Approval dates from before July 2019, they don't need noise generators yet. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

"From 1st July 2019 electric and hybrid vehicles with four wheels and new Type Approvals will be required to have an acoustic vehicle alert system (AVAS) fitted.

All new electric and hybrid vehicles built from 1st July 2021 will be required to have AVAS fitted."

If the Amazon vehicles' Type Approval dates from before July 2019, they don't need noise generators yet. 

Thanks Frostie. 

Mine makes a weird noise in EV, and its louder reversing. Difficult to describe, almost like a ringing?  Dont think its loud enough though, scared the bejesus out of a woman the other day in a parking lot who hadnt heard me creeping along behind her.

31 minutes ago, Timh21 said:

Mine makes a weird noise in EV, and its louder reversing. Difficult to describe, almost like a ringing?  Dont think its loud enough though, scared the bejesus out of a woman the other day in a parking lot who hadnt heard me creeping along behind her.

Not intended to be particularly obvious from inside the car. The main intent is alert the visually impaired that a vehicle is approaching, and from your parking lot example, it is loud enough to be heard by someone outside the vehicle.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

When was the New Yaris type approved?

Just wondering, as apart from some whirring and "UFO" noises it's really quiet in EV mode.

16 minutes ago, Mikw said:

Just wondering, as apart from some whirring and "UFO" noises it's really quiet in EV mode.

Would have thought the current Yaris would have been Type Approved late 2019.

The Acoustic Vehicle Alert System is designed to produce external sound via a sound generator ranging between 56 and 75 dcb when running on electric power at speeds up to 20kph, and will need to show whether the vehicle is accelerating or decelerating. 

There is no requirement for the sound to be heard inside the vehicle.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, AndrueC said:

Yeah I noticed that Amazon were using electric vans now. It's quite eerie when they pull off and all you can here is a slight whine.

I spotted a DPD small EV delivery van last week, delivering to a neighbour. I guess the depot must be close as a vehicle like this can't carry much and I imagine has limited range. But what a sensible move by DPD.

DPD-electric-fleet.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2021 at 10:16 PM, Mikw said:

The UFO noise is the sound generator in action

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

The UFO noise is the sound generator in action

Yep, funnily enough now UFO is mentioned thats the sound I hear with windows down