Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lucida 2.2td

Please can anyone help i own a K reg Lucida and have a problem with it overheating if you drive it at any speed upto 60mph the temp stays at half way and you can drive it like this all day with no problems but if you go above 60mph then it starts to overheat very quickly i have had the radiator tested and changed the viscouse fan also changed the thermostat and finally had the head and block tested for cracks all found to be ok but i still have this problem a local jap parts shop told me they had heard of this problem on lots of these imports and that it is down to the water pipes being a smaller bore than on UK vehicles because these vehicles do not get driven at speed in Japan which means that there is not enough flow to cool the engine down at speeds over 60mph this sounds a bit strange to me but im not that technically minded can anyone confirm this or is it total rubbish

THANKS

MALK

Hello Malk.

I have a 2.2 Estima 1995. I don't have any problems with overheating at all, temp needle is always just under halfway, once car has warmed up, And I regually drive at speeds in excess of 60mph.

So IMO the smaller water pipes/slower in Japan is pants.

Sorry I don't have any ideas on your problem though.

I to do not have any overheating problems no matter what speed. Try the expansion tank pipes to see if they are blocked and also airleaks. other then that I would check the water pump and give the system a good flush as the radiators are known for clogging up, you can the radiator recored as well depending if the flow is still bad after flushing

HI I'VE READ THE POSTS TO YOUR PROBLEM AND YOU SEAM TO HAVE COVERED MOST OF THE POSSIBLES I'VE HEARD THAT THE HEADS ARE PRONE TO CRACKING.

I HAVE A SUGGESTION ARE YOU SURE IT IS OVER HEATING, DOES THE ENGINE SMELL VERY HOT? IT MAY BE THAT THE TEMPERATURE SENDER OR GAUGE IS FAULTY

HOPE THIS HELPS

Sorry but every one of these I have looked at over the past few years have been cracked head not cheep

Malk

had exactly the same problem with my 94 2.2td 2wd turned out to be a blocked radiator.

Car would cruise all day at 55 go past 60 temperature would rise switch heater to hot and temp drop (not recommended driving condition in the height of summer)

Vehicle repaired by dealer that sold it (John Hepple in Blythe)

check it before you do any serious damage car has cruised trouble free for 2 years

until now anybody know where i gcan get a engine to radiator tube bottom hase in devon before saturday???

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I am an importer of these. commoon serario rad block or coolant leak causes crack in head. to start with get your rad tested for flow (not leaks) by a good rad guy. If u/s replacements are about £150 in not choked then probabally head dont ever buy a recon they dont last

• 1 month later...

Overheating :crybaby:

I have been :eek: pulled into lay-by I thought we were on fire there was what I thought was the smell of diesel but it was antifreeze we quickly got out but could not see car for steam It was taken into a garage where they Diagnosed head gasket and then later head needed machining cost me over £1000 a week later on the way home I noticed overheating again come home with heater on and this helped but while I travelled around at 30mph all was well then I found I needed new water pump then later a radiator a few months later steam from exhaust so a new garage was found and they striped down engine and found that the head had cracked between all four cylinders so the first garage had bodged up my repair.

A new head was fitted and all is well at the moment but it was another £900 :thumbsup:

A common thing with these is they overheat causing the cylinder head to crack around No4 cylinder. It is important the system is flushed thoroughly and system airlocks removed. Tell tale signs of head cracked is hydraulic lock when you try and start the car first thing in the morning and a lot of steam in the exhaust, if youre not sure take out No4 glowplug and give it a quick crank.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links