Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Infotainment system update woes

fullfathom5

My 2019 Corolla 1.8 Excel TS is currently with the dealer having the Apple Play / Android Auto + sat nav maps updated. Unfortunately, they have just rung to say it has gone wrong and may have to replace the entire unit! Has anybody else experienced anything similar during a firmware upgrade? Also, whilst I won't have to pay does anybody know how much a new unit costs (well over a £1000 I would have thought) as they sounded very unhappy on the phone?

Not heard of this happening at a dealer. However, there have been a couple of posts on previous topics, where owners have tried to update themselves, scuppered the head unit, and have had to replace the head unit at their cost.

16 minutes ago, fullfathom5 said:

My 2019 Corolla 1.8 Excel TS is currently with the dealer having the Apple Play / Android Auto + sat nav maps updated. Unfortunately, they have just rung to say it has gone wrong and may have to replace the entire unit! Has anybody else experienced anything similar during a firmware upgrade? Also, whilst I won't have to pay does anybody know how much a new unit costs (well over a £1000 I would have thought) as they sounded very unhappy on the phone?

Good, honest action by the Toyota Dealer then.

The update has to be done in a VERY specific order, the technician who does it, must have been trained to do it by watching a video, and read the instruction bulletin. The update instructions very clearly state that it is possible to kill the head unit by incorrectly installing the software. The dealer will have to pay, it is not warrantable if indeed that is what happened 

• Like 1

There is an update fail-safe, it's not your problem the stealer can work it out with Toyota

They broke it, they fix it

• Like 2

The dealer has just rung to say the job is complete. I'll be collecting tomorrow and will update the thread when I know what the exact issue was (the person who rang was unsure).

I work in IT and am well aware of what can happen if a firmware update goes wrong so don't think I would ever tackle this job myself - it's just not worth the risk.

40 minutes ago, flash22 said:

TBH it's a case RTFM, well at least they sorted it

I know TBH Bob, what’s RTFM mean, thanks.

Read The Friggin' Manual, you can replace the third word with another F word to suit the application

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Read The Friggin' Manual, you can replace the third word with another F word to suit the application

If its anything like updating firmware on a computer things can go wrong even if you following the manual. Computer chips can be both weird and wonderful.

It does state in the update procedure that failure to adhere to the instructions will potentially brick the unit and no warranty claim can be accepted 

If they have replaced the unit it would be at there own expense 

• Like 1

I got my car back from the dealer today and whilst nobody confirmed what they had done I'm pretty much certain the unit has been swapped out with that from another car because all of my radio station presets and sat nav settings had been cleared but the sat nav now has records of several locations I haven't been to.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fullfathom5 said:

I got my car back from the dealer today and whilst nobody confirmed what they had done I'm pretty much certain the unit has been swapped out with that from another car because all of my radio station presets and sat nav settings had been cleared but the sat nav now has records of several locations I haven't been to.

Same when mine was updated. Previous radio and sat-nav settings were all gone. 

Possibly the new records you have are tests by the garage to make sure the routes load correctly?

The update will clear any settings - consider it a complete reinstall rather than an update

A lot of owners were moaning that it was taking so long to release the update to the 2019 Corolla head units, but this is exactly why it took a while. Updates to existing software / firmware have to be tested thoroughly, and dealers trained, or the process could be very costly for Toyota / dealers, and create even more complaints from disappointed owners who end up with nothing while the mess is sorted out. Having been in operations (not cars but call centre IT requirements and testing), I know how costly it can be when the boss wants it yesterday, so we roll out an untested or partly tested release. 

Glad the problem was sorted.  I may not bother with the upgrade, unless I sell privately, as what is on the system now works fine for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:58 AM, fullfathom5 said:

I think we have a similar issue.

I have a 2016 Corolla.

The etunes looks Ike it's trying to load a software update, but then after a few minutes, the screen just goes dark. It tries over & over again every few minutes. I haven't done anything to my system, no new USB uploads, not even a CD. I recently bought a new phone and synced it to the bluetooth, so IDK if that had anything to do with it or not. I RTM, but that was not a help. 

Now, I can't use anything except for the backup camera. No radio. No bluetooth to my phone. No maps or navigation. No weather.

I needed a new Battery, so I was hoping that the installation would miraculously fix it, similar to the good old "control +alt+delete" but no such luck. Dealership who installed the Battery says there's a glitch in the software & that I need an entire new radio, for a mere $1500. Of course I'm outside of the warranty. (& to add insult to injury, I just paid her off last week.)

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Please help!