Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Yaris - Boot Mechanism Help

Kierdoherty

The boot on my 2009 yaris fails to open when pressing the cylinder lock from the outside and can only be opened using the release on the inside.  I've had a look and cant see anything in mine that connects the cylinder to the actuator.  I've taken the parts out, am I missing anything? 

Images of parts - https://imgur.com/a/HbPpfmT

Thanks in Advance 

Kieran

Silly question have you tried unlocking it with the key, if its locked it will not do anything when pushed

I’ve tried with the key. The cylinder depresses but doesn’t seem to open the catch at all

21 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Silly question have you tried unlocking it with the key, if its locked it will not do anything when pushed

• 2 months later...

Did you get this fixed?

I have the opposite problem in that it fails to lock. I have no idea how long mine has been like it for as I have never checked the boot when walking away from the car. Found out when my wife put something in thinking I’d unlocked it when I knew I hadn’t.

11 hours ago, Dougie150 said:

Did you get this fixed?

I have the opposite problem in that it fails to lock. I have no idea how long mine has been like it for as I have never checked the boot when walking away from the car. Found out when my wife put something in thinking I’d unlocked it when I knew I hadn’t.

Central locking or key lock ? or both ?

lock the lock with a key then open it with the remote

13 hours ago, flash22 said:

Central locking or key lock ? or both ?

lock the lock with a key then open it with the remote

Doesn’t lock with the central locking but you can hear and feel some movement when activated.

I tried with the key but it doesn’t seem to push in as far as it should (approx 1”) so can not be turned.

iirc the lock pushes a lever the can become bent or the mech is self becomes loose, pop the tailgate trim off and have a look - it maybe it just needs to be cleaned and re-lubed

eg.  [url=https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-TOYOTA-YARIS-1-3-PETROL-REAR-BOOT-LOCK-CATCH-LATCH-MECHANISM/203061539910?hash=item2f47693446:g:YjAAAOSw2kZfIWxg]Boot latch[/url]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-TOYOTA-YARIS-1-3-PETROL-REAR-BOOT-LOCK-CATCH-LATCH-MECHANISM/203061539910?hash=item2f47693446:g:YjAAAOSw2kZfIWxg

Well I took a look but couldn’t really figure it out. I’ve attached a video of me operating the central locking (boot open but the cable disconnected that shows indicates it is open). Don’t know if it will help with any diagnostics.

I won’t lose sleep if I can’t fix it, but if it’s nothing too difficult then it would be good to get it rectified.

You need to trip the latch with a screwdriver, so it thinks the tailgate is closed - unbolt the lock actuator and see if you can manually move the lock - Spray the snot out of the lock and re-lube it

This is an earlier lock (all metal) yours is plastic

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I won’t get chance to look until the weekend now but I’ll let you know how I get on.

Well after taking the lock off and giving a good clean and lube, it now locks with the central locking thank you. I’m still unable to use the key but the only reason I tried previously is because it was failing to lock with the remote so I’ll not worry about that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links