Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Toyota avensis 2.0 d4d Idle Reset Relearn Procedure

2009joe

hello im thinking i have a problem as when i needed a new Battery and well before i got a Battery i had to jump the car a few times .the Battery was completely shot. well now i have noticed when cold and sometimes after warming up it ticks over about the next mark above  1000rpm i was wondering dose anyone know how to get this car back the way it was im not sure why its like that 

Hey Joe,

I have a 2.2 Auris, they're obviously not the same engine however very similar in function. On a cold morning the engine will run at a slightly higher RPM to warm up, before settling back down after 5-10 minutes. This is completely normal for a larger sized diesel in the winter, I find it happens when the temperature is lower than about 4/5 degrees Celsius.

Here is an Honest John discussion post which mentions your age of Avensis, discussing that this is completely normal. (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=57621)

If you do want to double check, simply unplugging the Battery for 10ish minutes will let the ECU run out of power and re-learn idle, just make sure you leave the car to idle for around 10 minutes to definitely make sure. But I think the same idle behaviour will return when the weather is cold again.

I hope this helps!

That's normal. They don't have a fixed idle speed but the ECU varies the idle according to load on the alternator for example. It will be higher when the engine is started from cold in cold weather, and over 1000 rpm is not unusual. As far as I know diesels don't re-learn the idle speed after Battery disconnection in the same way that petrols do?

You may even find that as you now have a new Battery the ECU is running the engine slightly faster to allow the alternator to charge the new Battery up to its proper capacity. The old battery would have been greatly down on capacity and would have appeared fully charged much sooner after a cold start.