Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dealer servicing

Bitch1001

My local Toyota quoted £250 for full service and mot 

my car is 2015 xcite 2 .. 25000 Milage 

any benefits to going to the dealer now the car’s warranty is finished. 

local garage quoted £130 for same service and mot 

thank you in advance 

My car is a 2013 plate and I've always gone to the Toyota dealer for the servicing.

The only downside is the cost, but the perks for me are:

• They always put in premium Mobil 1 ESP oil with the correct viscosity
  • Put in the correct amount of oil, never over or under the max mark on dipstick
  • Service the rear drums on a major service. Something other garages don't usually do

The first two points are the most important, but the rear drum service means that my handbrake functions perfectly for when it comes to the MOT handbrake test.

Another benefit is, that if your car is serviced within the Toyota dealer network, then you may get an out of warranty repair claim as a good will gesture.

You could join Toyota's 5+ Club to get 20% off services and MOTs. Continuing with Toyota servicing will mean you may get goodwill from Toyota in the event of a major issue with the car - independent servicing will wipe this out.

• Like 2

If it’s a garage with a good reputation then it is a good cost saving only thing is car will be worth more with full dealer service history if you decide to sell at some point.

Its totally up to the individual and what budget you have.  If you are not bothered about good resale value and you plan on keeping it, then a good reliable independent garage is fine.

However, Frostballs mention of the Toyota 5+ Club is well worth a look, it's not as expensive as you would think.

£130, less VAT is £108, I would just make sure that they are going to do like for like servicing and replace the exact same parts as your dealer. So many times I see customers that have been elsewhere for a full service, only for it to have had an oil and filter change. Your choice at the end of the day, but if you stick to the dealer network, you may be entitled to goodwill if anything fails outside of warranty. 

I'd say Yes,  there ARE benefits..as suggested by others.

You may pay a little extra but I think there is at least a guaranteed standard and a proven service regime that will be beneficial when you come to change/sell the car.

As said, you are building goodwill too and that's always good to have.

When we bought my wife's brand new Yaris last year we took out a 3 year Toyota servicing plan..and when that comes to an end we will replace it with similar I'm sure.

The Toyota price is with the 5plus discount already added 

I’m not planning on changing my car , yes it’s 6 years old , but there’s not a mark  on it and it’s still a great car to drive 

I will check with local garage what their full service entails 

thanks everyone x

If it’s me I will have to decide between Toyota garage and diy service myself, choosing another garage even at better price will wipe away all the benefits other members explained. But all depends of personal preferences and circumstances. The suggestion for extended car warranty and service in dealer sounds attractive to me since this will provide same experience like a new car for another few years and in case of any faults you got it covered. 👍

Most of the time I feel dealer servicing is over priced and on one occasion I was in doubt they even changed my oil / filter they charged me for, however this was Mercedes and not Toyota. I feel a good independent is as good as a dealer as long as they use the correct oils and filters etc. Saying that full dealer SH does add some resale value 

At the end of the day it is your choice. 

• Like 1