Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 d4d EGR rav4-14

KTMsmurf

So I was thinking of putting in a “blanking” plate for the EGR. Although I’ve read if I drill a 10mm hole in the plate I won’t get the errors in the ECU. Is there any damage to be afraid of on the engine when it will run warmer then with fully open EGR? 
going to clean the egr (car has done 110’000km) so thought I might do the mod at the same time. 
people who are against this says the engine will brake, the fuel consumption will rise etc...

This isn't an uncommon mod and if it was likely to cause harm to the engine I expect there would be many posts about it. Since the EGR spends most of its life closed (same as having a blanking plate) it feels like low risk. Of course the purpose is to reduce NOx emissions so making this mod isn't good for society/health and I don't say that to judge as none of us are eco-saints, but worth thinking about why it is there.  

If it still works then personally I'd give it a clean and leave it to do its job; I'd only be considering a blanking plate if it was broken and I didn't want to fork out for a new one. However, if you go down the blanking route and it does throw an error (can't comment on whether drilling a hole helps) you'll probably need to remove the plate for each MOT as an illuminated EML is a fail; so if yours is broken you'll probably still need to buy a new one anyway!

Edit: Just noted you're not in the UK so maybe your car checks are different and the EML risk is smaller.

I understand the size of the hole in the blanking plate should be a certain size for the specific engine. Just big enough so it doesn't trip a fault code but not too big to be ineffective. Are you just guessing/speculating that a 10mm hole is suitable for what I assume is a 2.2D4D 2AD-FTV (or FHV) engine. Other engines require different diameter holes.

1 hour ago, DavRavNI said:

I understand the size of the hole in the blanking plate should be a certain size for the specific engine. Just big enough so it doesn't trip a fault code but not too big to be ineffective. Are you just guessing/speculating that a 10mm hole is suitable for what I assume is a 2.2D4D 2AD-FTV (or FHV) engine. Other engines require different diameter holes.

They are sold with a 10mm hole. I could only get hold of a blanking plate.  So drilling a 10mm hole myself.

I'm assuming from the title of your post that your vehicle is 2014. I'm also assuming it will have a DPF and possibly DPNR system. As wiser people than me have said, if this is the case then the engine ECU monitors the EGR flow to protect the DPF/system. That is why I would want to be sure that any person advising a 10mm hole is suitable or is selling that plate as suitable for the engine had tried and tested it on the same engine. Other people have tried and tested hole sizes for other engines such as 1KD or 1GD but I've not seen anything on 2AD.

Just something to consider.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links