Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Manual gearbox broblems.

fnldstntn

Hi. 

We are thinking of buying a second gen Auris for my brother and we heard that 6 speed manual transmissions can be problematic. Is this true? 

Don't recall any particular issues being reported for the Auris on Toyota Owners Club, and nothing on Honest John reviews (1st and 2nd generation).

There have been some issues reported for the second generation Yaris.

I had two Auris with the six speed from new over a period of seven years, and no problems.

• Thanks 1

It's a gearbox mate, and a manual at it. Not much to go wrong there, and if there was some fault, people on the forum would know about it.

Only MMT was problematic on 1st gen Auris, plagued with issues, it was manual gearbox, with electronics to shift the gears for you, but those were mostly related to the mechanism used for shifting, not the gearbox.

• Thanks 1

I have seen videos and remember there were some posts about premature bearings failure on manual transmission on first Auris  2007-2009 , developing some vibration and whinging noise but this can happen to any car depends how hard been drive. Best to check and test the particular car prior to purchase. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I have seen videos and remember there were some posts about premature bearings failure on manual transmission on first Auris  2007-2009 , developing some vibration and whinging noise but this can happen to any car depends how hard been drive. Best to check and test the particular car prior to purchase. 

When I lived in France, We were looking for a new car in 2007 and read reports at the time the 6th speed manual had some issues. We therefore ordered the new Corolla D4D 1.4 hatchback with a 5 speed gearbox.

James.

• Like 1

As far as I'm aware, the early six speed transmission used between 2007 and 2009 was only on the 2.0 130bhp diesel and the 2.2 diesel.

The later, new six speed transmission was introduced In 2009 on the 1.33, 1.6 and 1.4D4D - carried over to the second generation Auris.