Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speed limiter

bmurphy4

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to save the speed limit that I set for my 2020 Corolla hybrid. Currently I wait until I get to the speed I want to set the speed limit at and then push the "set" button but I have to do this for every journey. Is there a way of saving the speed limit you want to set the limiter at so that I don't have to keep doing this for every new journey?

Thanks

Don't think that's possible.

Same as the cruise control, it won't save the last set speed after turning the car off.

On 2/12/2021 at 4:39 PM, bmurphy4 said:

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to save the speed limit that I set for my 2020 Corolla hybrid. Currently I wait until I get to the speed I want to set the speed limit at and then push the "set" button but I have to do this for every journey. Is there a way of saving the speed limit you want to set the limiter at so that I don't have to keep doing this for every new journey?

Thanks

It probably resets so you have to make a decision re what limit you are in when you set off. Keeps you alert rather than assume that the car will keep you legal. 

No, you can't save your set speed. There's probably a good reason for that as Timmon says.

For most of my local urban journeys I usually set a couple of things before driving off from home. One is the Auto brake hold and the other is the speed limiter as  my local area is infested with speed cameras that I would rather not have to argue with. I set the speed limiter manually rather than while under way though as it's less distracting. Both are a slight nuisance but only take a few seconds and are now a routine part of my pre-flight checks. You get used to it, just like buckling up. 😏

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Velvet--Glove said:

No, you can't save your set speed. There's probably a good reason for that as Timmon says.

For most of my local urban journeys I usually set a couple of things before driving off from home. One is the Auto brake hold and the other is the speed limiter as  my local area is infested with speed cameras that I would rather not have to argue with. I set the speed limiter manually rather than while under way though as it's less distracting. Both are a slight nuisance but only take a few seconds and are now a routine part of my pre-flight checks. You get used to it, just like buckling up. 😏

The Hold Button is not something I have ever used, can you explain the setting you use and benefits. Probably missing a trick here 

Sure. The brake hold button is on the console to your left, next to the Parking brake button. When set you get a round green "Hold" indicator light on the driving display. Brake hold engages automatically when you come to a full stop, at traffic lights for instance - the brake comes on so you can take your foot off the brake and not move forward.  

A slight word of caution. It doesn't remain set for more than a few minutes, though. I've been sat at a railway crossing for longer than usual sometimes (5+ mins), on a very slight incline, had the brake hold turn off without warning and found myself rolling backwards! So - if I think I will be waiting a while I will set the more secure parking brake instead.

Brake hold is a form of hand brake I suppose, but automatic and not to be used for a long period or on a steep incline. Despite these caveats I do still find it very useful when driving in town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Velvet--Glove said:

Thanks for this. I think I'll set manually as well before I start driving. Is it the same button to do this?

6 minutes ago, bmurphy4 said:

Thanks for this. I think I'll set manually as well before I start driving. Is it the same button to do this?

Yes, it's the multi-way rocker button on the left of the wheel. (From memory) I press "left" to switch the speed limiter function on. Then I press& hold "up" to set the speed - the reading starts at 20 then jumps to 25 then 30 (or more if needs be). Single presses increment the reading by 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Velvet--Glove said:

Sure. The brake hold button is on the console to your left, next to the Parking brake button. When set you get a round green "Hold" indicator light on the driving display. Brake hold engages automatically when you come to a full stop, at traffic lights for instance - the brake comes on so you can take your foot off the brake and not move forward.  

A slight word of caution. It doesn't remain set for more than a few minutes, though. I've been sat at a railway crossing for longer than usual sometimes (5+ mins), on a very slight incline, had the brake hold turn off without warning and found myself rolling backwards! So - if I think I will be waiting a while I will set the more secure parking brake instead.

Brake hold is a form of hand brake I suppose, but automatic and not to be used for a long period or on a steep incline. Despite these caveats I do still find it very useful when driving in town.

Once I got out of the car with the brake hold on. The car started to scream like the Germans were coming again. Never tried it again!

12 minutes ago, Mitsos_Hybrid said:

Once I got out of the car with the brake hold on. The car started to scream like the Germans were coming again. Never tried it again!

Heh heh. These cars can be a bit temperamental sometimes when you don't follow "procedure".  But it's all designed to keep us and others safe I guess. Without that warning your car could have rolled away and wreaked who knows what devastation. It certainly taught you a lesson didn't it. 😂

• Haha 1

That's one of my pet peeves about the Corolla. I don't understand why we have to enable brake hold every time we use the car.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Velvet--Glove said:

Don't understand that. In my 69 reg 1.8 the electronic handbrake is automatically applied when the 'hold' times out. It should never run backwards if it is in drive anyway. Hold is deactivated if you undo your seatbelt and could drive off if you got out of the car, hence the son et Lumiere show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabButler said:

Don't understand that. In my 69 reg 1.8 the electronic handbrake is automatically applied when the 'hold' times out. It should never run backwards if it is in drive anyway. Hold is deactivated if you undo your seatbelt and could drive off if you got out of the car, hence the son et Lumiere show.

I may be misremembering the exact details as this was some time ago, but I did experience an unexpected movement while waiting longer than usual to get going. What you say makes sense so I probably did something wrong then. Could be I was still learning how to handle an automatic.

4 hours ago, RabButler said:

Absolutely correct - See extract from owners manual below.  I've been using Brake Hokd for a year now and no issues.

20210214_212604.jpg

Important thing to remember here is that it isn't a hand brake - it holds the hydraulic pressure on all four wheels (and the rear brake lights stay on). Hence the time limit.

I don't use it in normal driving - I like the way the car gently rolls forward as you release the foot brake if you hold the brakes on the old fashioned way - something you don't get with the brake hold. However, it has its place if stuck in a queue of stop/start traffic.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 2/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, Velvet--Glove said:

I may be misremembering the exact details as this was some time ago, but I did experience an unexpected movement while waiting longer than usual to get going. What you say makes sense so I probably did something wrong then. Could be I was still learning how to handle an automatic.

Could be you had the automatic parking brake system disabled

I'm not a fan of the brake hold because the release isn't quite instantaneous and it gives the sensation of having to fight against the brakes to get the car rolling every time, rather like pulling away for the first time when the pads have been rusted onto the discs. My last car, which was a manual, was exactly the same - I used to turn it on for a hill start and then immediately turn it off again. I still use it occasionally when sitting for a long period, but I'm very happy it defaults to off the rest of the time.

What I DO like is the way the parking brake operates automatically when shifting in and out of park. I believe that can also be changed but, again, I like it very much in the default mode.

I still miss the good old fashioned handbrake lever, but no mass producer seems to want to spare the cost and the interior space on those kind of relics any more.

I'd prefer a brake lever too - It's just more reliable and still works when e.g. the car has no power! I'd never buy a manual car with an EPB, but with an automatic, esp. in the Mk4 which doesn't have a proper neutral, it's less of an issue. I'm just glad they finally made it come on automatically when you shift to Park!! Can't believe it took this long...

I just hate that when it's engaged and you're in anything other than P or N the hybrid system insists on pulling against it - Like, what is the reasoning for that?? I can understand in a ICE automatic, but there's absolutely no reason for it in a hybrid or EV...

I do use the brake hold in traffic as the EPB is so slow to disengage compared to the hydraulics... Yes, I have become what I despise - a brake light dazzler! :crybaby: 

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

I do use the brake hold in traffic as the EPB is so slow to disengage compared to the hydraulics... Yes, I have become what I despise - a brake light dazzler! :crybaby: 

I crossed that line with my last Jazz. The reason was that it had idle stop but the auto version always restarted the engine when you released the brake pedal. Stupidly (to my mind) it even did it if you had the handbrake on and the car in neutral. Aside from being unnecessary because the car couldn't go anywhere like that it actually had a sensor on the gear lever and would restart the engine when moved out of neutral so really there was no need for it be based solely on the brake pedal. The manual version only restarted the engine when you depressed the clutch.

Since I was of the opinion that idle stop was a good thing (not saying I agree with the cost of design and adding it to the vehicle but since I had it anyway I felt I should use it) I had no choice but to keep the foot brake pressed when stationary.

I consoled myself with how much I was saving the planet and my wallet (a little tiny bit in both cases) and that in any case 80% of drivers already did that so the battle to avoid dazzle was already lost.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 8:11 PM, Cyker said:

I just hate that when it's engaged and you're in anything other than P or N the hybrid system insists on pulling against it - Like, what is the reasoning for that?? I can understand in a ICE automatic, but there's absolutely no reason for it in a hybrid or EV...

Not sure I understand this bit. In my Corolla, when the car is stationary and 'Hold' is switched on, the engine stops, after a second the pedestrian warning tone stops and then nothing happens until you touch the accelerator. No pulling.

I think you're talking about the foot-brake hold - Mine behaves the same way.

It's the EPB (electronic handbrake) that I was talking about - When that is engaged the car constantly pulls against it.

Auris with manual handbrake did the same - put on HB with car in D and it would pull against it. If you have the power/charge hybrid display you will see it showing at least electric force applied unless you actually press on the footbrake. Also not to be confused with the sensation of the car pulling against the transmission even in P (both Auris and the Corolla all do the same when the ICE starts/stops - doesn't actually move the car, just feels like it might)

• Like 1

It's only emulating what a standard automatic does. Automatics aren't meant to be left in drive with the handbrake on, unless it's as extra security to supplement the footbrake. They've designed the car so that anyone used to driving an automatic can jump in and everything will work as expected, which is one of the things that sold the car to me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

I think you're talking about the foot-brake hold - Mine behaves the same way.

It's the EPB (electronic handbrake) that I was talking about - When that is engaged the car constantly pulls against it.

Rgr. Got it!

• Like 1