Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rattle in drivers door.

Bos

2017 Yaris hybrid.    A rattle can be heard from the drivers door when going over a bumpy surface. Can someone help with instructions to remove the door card?

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Bos said:

2017 Yaris hybrid.    A rattle can be heard from the drivers door when going over a bumpy surface. Can someone help with instructions to remove the door card?

Thanks in advance.

One of the most difficult things to trace a rattle in any part of the car 😡. Without being on site virtually impossible, and the car is still under warranty so take it to Mr. Toyota, and someone at the dealership may help.

2 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

One of the most difficult things to trace a rattle in any part of the car 😡. Without being on site virtually impossible, and the car is still under warranty so take it to Mr. Toyota, and someone at the dealership may help.

Sorry as you are non-uk warranty may have just expired. However the same thing applies, virtually impossible to detect from afar. One thing I will say is ensure all storage facilities in the car are completely empty when testing for the rattle.

Before you attempt to remove the door card it’s a good idea to have car trim removal kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NQ843LP/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_7GVEZJEPQ2AYZAZ5E7PV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

then look for bolts usually covered with plastic trim and located in or near the door handle and opening leaver , undo these and then insert these plastic tools between door frame and the cars , start from bottom towards top, once the card is off the door keep it close as you will need to disconnect the cable for electric windows and lock mechanism metal bar. There should be a clear plastic cover glued to the door, heat with hair dryer or heat gun and carefully remove so you can use again after your check , this works as dust and sound proof. When reattach the card make sure the clips are at exact location on the card and start from top to bottom. 👍
Good luck 

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies.  My car is booked in to the garage next month for it's 4 year service and MOT, I'll get them to check the 'rattle' then.

• 2 years later...

Did they find the cause,  mine is doing this and its really beginning to irritate when driving on  rough country roads.

@Bos

Can you replicate the rattle noise by banging on the inner and outer door skins with your fist? Rattles can be caused by plastic on plastic, window or window runners shaking, or even wiring harnesses striking solid parts of the door.

My local dealer said that the insulation in the door had moved, they also put more padding in the door and it worked!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

Yes and it doesn't make the noise. 

Ok, suggests to me that it's coming from elsewhere. Lots of solids in a car means quick sound transmission. You may even find its something rattling in the boot!

Anyway, systematically go around the car shaking the seats, door cards, seat belts, plastic trims, scuff plates. Gently tap the roof lining and around the sunroof.

Go under the car and check brake pipe clips, mud flaps, arch liners. Check the exhaust heat shield, exhaust hangers etc. Also check the trim and clips under the doors.

Check wiring harnesses in the boot and where accessible under the carpet. Check trims in the boot, parcel shelf, shock absorber covers.

In the engine bay shake the cable harnesses, air filter, press the scuttle in and out. Check all hose and harness clips. See if there's any plastic to plastic contact.

Do post up how you get on

11 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Can you replicate the rattle noise by banging on the inner and outer door skins with your fist?

I'd be very careful on the outer, paper thin steel, door skin.

On one occasion, last year, when checking rear tyres, I slipped when standing up. Bashed my head on the door (not that hard) causing a rather substantial dent which required a dent removal man's visit to fix.

6 hours ago, Bos said:

My local dealer said that the insulation in the door had moved, they also put more padding in the door and it worked!

I am going to mention it when i take it for its next service.

23 hours ago, olonas said:

causing a rather substantial dent which required a dent removal man's visit to fix.

As an aside and to be clear, the dent was in the door skin.:rolleyes:

21 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Good you were ok Paul 👍

Thanks, yes. I was surprised at how easily the dent occured with very little impact.

He did an excellent job removing it. Accessed the inner skin after removing the rubber grommet/conduit, on the front edge of the door (rear left), where the cables pass into the door.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links