Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet will close but wont lock

HazelE

I can open the bonnet without pulling the latch inside the passenger door. I tried pushing the lever back into place and closing the hood again but I can still get my fingers in under the edge and lift it open.... how can I fix this so that it locks? Thanks Hazel.

Inspect the mechanism, clean and apply some grease to the mechanism, then try it.

• Thanks 1

clean and re lube the bonnet catch, if you look at the latch you will see where the cable pulls the lever make sure that arm is full returning, due to its location in gets hit by all the crud off the road what sticks to the grease

edit. Also make use the return spring is still attached

• Thanks 2

Will try this out tomorrow in daylight. I take it WD40 will do to lubricate? Thanks

WD40 is a good penetrating agent, but not really for lubricating, and lubricating properties are short term. So it's a good idea to use it to get the mechanism working propperly, but then apply some oil, or grease to it instead, whatever you got, even some engine oil is ok.

• Thanks 1

Good advice here., yes can be used as lubricant in short term as mentioned but wd-40 has one huge benefit over oil, grease or other lube sprays., does not attract dirt and dust as much as any others. I prefer to use it on hinges, cables, lock mechanisms and apply more often then just lube with oil or grease and gets the area ultra dirty in short time. Wd-40 evaporates after a while and leave sort of invisible film that continues to work for some time and smells kind of nice. It won’t replace oil or grease but for some jobs can be even more suitable. 👍

• Like 1

Moved to the Aygo club