Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cold weather causing the paint to crack and peel

Mark_P

With the really cold weather we've had recently, our IQ has suffered badly with the temperatures changing which has caused the paint to split. I've reached out to Toyota and they fobbed me off with the usual "Its outside of the manufacturers warranty"

For those who have had to pay for a repaint, what have you paid?  I have a rough quote of 700 as it does require primer to be put on once they have stripped it down to where they are comfortable the paint won't split.

Einstein.JPG

Have you considered wrapping it ?  shorewraps.com

• Like 1

The paint warranty on Toyotas is three years. A 2009 car is 12 years old.

In the past Toyota have agreed goodwill contributions on numbers of IQs with white pearlescent paint where paintwork is peeling. However, as far as I'm aware, their recent stance is they will only consider goodwill contributions where the car has a full Toyota service history.

This type of goodwill stance is common amongst most manufacturers

• Like 2

Lol that’s bad, I don’t think is because of the cold weather but some issue with the paint itself. If Toyota doesn’t want to help then full repaint in another place will be the option, for wrapping to be done nicely will require super smooth finish and some sort of paint , rust protection otherwise will be even worse if any moisture finds its way between the bodywork and the foil. Mod edit

Yes, there is an issue with the paint, but the cold weather has made it worse as the metal has shrunk and then expanded as it warmed up slightly. The paint has split in places where it was fine and has now flaked.  I'm looking to get it wrapped, I will do what I can to prep the areas where it is flaking by sandinging down those areas. Fingers crossed that by the time it goes in for the wrap it doesn't get any worse.

A full body wrap would be around £1450. Wrapping the top half is coming in at £550.

Mod edit. I was hoping Toyota might agree but they won't I've accepted that, but it will make me think about owning any other Toyota vehicles because of this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mark_P said:

I was hoping Toyota might agree but they won't

To be honest, no other manufacturer would consider helping with paint issues on a 12 year old car. The car is well outside the paint warranty - and other manufacturers offer a similar length paint warranty.

Your only other option would be goodwill, and as I said previously Toyota are only considering goodwill contributions if the car has a full Toyota service history - which again is similar to the stance other manufacturers have.  Goodwill works both ways - the owner shows goodwill by continuing to have their car serviced within the manufacturer's dealer network, and the manufacturer may show goodwill by contributing towards out of warranty repair costs.

Has the car got a full Toyota service history?

For example a few years ago, a colleague had her 3 year service on her Mitsubishi done by an independent. Six months later after the three year warranty had expired, the throttle body needed replacing - from memory the repair cost was around £500. Mitsubishi refused a goodwill contribution because the car didn't have a full Mitsubishi service history

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

To be honest, no other manufacturer would consider helping with paint issues on a 12 year old car. The car is well outside the paint warranty - and other manufacturers offer a similar length paint warranty.

Your only other option would be goodwill, and as I said previously Toyota are only considering goodwill contributions if the car has a full Toyota service history - which again is similar to the stance other manufacturers have.  Goodwill works both ways - the owner shows goodwill by continuing to have their car serviced within the manufacturer's dealer network, and the manufacturer may show goodwill by contributing towards out of warranty repair costs.

Has the car got a full Toyota service history?

For example a few years ago, a colleague had her 3 year service on her Mitsubishi done by an independent. Six months later after the three year warranty had expired, the throttle body needed replacing - from memory the repair cost was around £500. Mitsubishi refused a goodwill contribution because the car didn't have a full Mitsubishi service history

It doesn't have a full history. I do appreciate what you've said and have taken that into account. I did ask Toyota and they said no to which I am thankful for them replying and not ignoring.

My options are going to go for a half wrap. I'll be removing the paint from the roof with some paint stripper once I a decent recommended stripper before it goes in for the wrap.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, in the end i didnt go for the wrap, the amount of peeling/cracked paint was too extensive for me to personally strip it down. He's now in the bodyshop and has caused issues for the guys doing the respray as its so bad 😞

I should be picking him up tomorrow, will share pics once i've picked him up

• Like 3

Gave the car a quick wash down and a double coat of wax before the weather turns.

I'm really happy with the work the guys did. I did have a sharkfin aerial before the respay. Took that off as it was discoloured, glad I did that as the paint around it was starting to crack. The guys also touched up areas around the between the roof and the hinges on the back door, they even fixed the bad paintwork around the petrol cap.

1486658792_20210307_1438591.JPG

178413963_20210307_1438511.JPG

Edited by Mark_P
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2021 at 10:36 AM, Mark_P said:

[...] For those who have had to pay for a repaint, what have you paid?  I have a rough quote of 700 as it does require primer to be put on once they have stripped it down to where they are comfortable the paint won't split.

I had two quotes (Feb 2021) - Hendy Toyota quoted £993 and my local body shop quoted £828 but only if the windscreen breaks, otherwise it's £612.

BSA were pretty shocked at how slick and smooth the undercoat was - which probably contributed to the peeling as the paint would not have adhered well without a key.

• Like 1