Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is this for?

AKLZ

In the boot of my Touring Sports there’s a retractable parcel shelf that rolls back into a bar that sits across the back of the back seats. just behind that is another bar with a retractable net like covering. I can’t for the life of me work out exactly what it’s for or where it clips in when extended? It weighs an absolute ton too! It’s removable (like the parcel shelf bar) but when removed it leaves a gap meaning people could see into the boot through the window.

What is it for, and how does it work? 

Ive tried Googling but as I don’t even know what’s it’s called, I can’t!

It is a partition net. Above the rear seats, on either side of the roof lining is a small cover. When the covers are removed, the partition net can be extended upwards and hooks into place where the covers have been removed. Not a dog guard. Helps prevent luggage being thrown forwards onto the car's occupants in the event of emergency stopping or a collision.

Page 582 of the owners manual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can this goes upwards vertical and lock into places in the roof lining? If yes then it’s called a Dog guard. Standard on higher trim level estates. 👍 

It can also be clipped onto the back of the rear seats when folded, and metal hangers clipped to the roof by the rear passenger handles (above the doors). This way you can put loads in the back, and stop it sliding forward into the front with the net. Clever stuff

Yeah, cargo restraining net, we have to have them fitted in our co cars for H & S.

Ahh, thankyou! I will have a look at it again today!

ideally I’d like to remove it since it’s excessively heavy and I never use it, but I’d need to somehow fill the gap it leaves behind to stop people peeping into the boot.

i wonder why it’s so unexpectedly heavy? It has three large metal ‘clips’ on it too, which I have no idea what they do either.

Hi AKLZ, I’m in the same boat here - if you find a solution for closing up that gap so it can be removed please post it here 👍

The 3 metal clips slide onto 3 brackets on the back of the rear seats when laid flat. The net then is pulled upwards and locates in an additional set of eyelets in the roof. If you look on the roof you will see plastic covers either side. Open these covers to reveal the eyelets. It is one of the best features of the estate in my opinion as it lets me transport two large greyhound dogs in comfort plus there is still room in front of the net for storage

• Like 2

Will be good if someone would like to set those and make some pictures to show how these are set up and how will work. 
Thanks 👍👌

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Will be good if someone would like to set those and make some pictures to show how these are set up and how will work. 
Thanks 👍👌

Bit too cold at the moment for photos but quite clear instructions on pages 528 and 529 of the online handbook as well as advice on how best to extend the net partition 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies; all is now clear!

I personally doubt I’ll ever use it, so I’m going to try and find a way to remove it (saving what feels like 10kg!) and somehow cover the gap it leaves behind 

• 1 year later...

Does this cargo/dog net come with all versions of the Touring Sports? I've got an Icon on order and I was wondering about a dog guard. Maybe I don't need one.

Thanks in advance.