Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to remove diesel out of my petrol tank in my Toyota avensis 2004

Bex scott

As Jimitaxi has said partially the answer depend how much diesel and how much petrol mixed with diesel fuel is in the tank. If there is only a little diesel in the tank then filling the tank with petrol and just emptying out what is in the fuel line should work ok. The car engine will run with a mixture of diesel and mostly petrol.  If there is a lot of diesel in the tank all you can do ids empty the tank.

To empty the tank you need to remove the fuel line and then short out two of the terminals in the fuse box and run the fuel pump. I am not sure which terminals but someone here will be along to confirm that.

I did this and fortunately only had to pump out 5 gallons before able to top up with petrol.

• Like 1

As alreadt said. if not a lot of diesel in the petrol tank you should get awat wit it. If that is ok, how much room left in the tank - even a gallon more petrol with dilute even more, then when you run it a bit top up again with more petrol. Keep diluting with more petrol as you go along. Have you got car insurance that covers putting wrong fuel in - it seems a popular option these days. Worth you looking at your policy. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 11:56 PM, jimtaxi said:

How much diesel did you put in?

My partner put 30 litres in an it had only 10 litres petrol. I've removed diesel an put half tank of petrol in wif petrol injector cleaner in an have soaked filter et. In petrol so far 

Regarding running the car with a mix of petrol/diesel. You have to be careful as the violent pinking I am sure could damage the engine as the mix will have a low octane rating. So drive very gently and avoid pinking as best you can and as recommended keep topping up the ank with petrol and get the diesel duluted as fast as you can Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links