Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Map Update Problem 2019 RAV4

VeryRAV4

I'm having problems updating the SatNav Map file on a 2019 Mark V XA-50. One poster on the Corolla forum cautions that failed updates can lead to a "bricked" head unit.  Followind the DIY guidance obtained from the local dealer, I've located the free file in the e-Store (apparently we are entitled to upgrades for 36 months from date of first use).

image.thumb.png.ada47f538e6f0d171d4a76721e64fc35.png

but when I select it and go to enter the Toyota Request Code (retrieved form the head unit) I receive this message:

image.thumb.png.da74baab7a788f5f0ddd63caa1fd1d08.png

I have raised a Toyota CR CASE number but the last reply from them simply said: "this issue logged with our dedicated IT department as their is an issue with the request code. I will update you as soon as I hear back from them, this can take some time depending on the complexity of the case." The request code was retrieved form the device and has been carefully entered. The device ID at My.Toyota was originally set to my previous Mk4 but now tallies with the correct vehicle.

Anyone experienced anything similar to this? I am not confident that Toyota have this issue nailed so would be grateful for any input.

I don't have the same model RAV as you so can't give exact advice in your case although there are a couple of things to be aware of:

The car must be turned on properly and in 'Ready' state to avoid a failed update. I have heard of people who have only turned the 'accessory' power on (for example to just listen to the radio) and the car has turned the power off after the timeout period which has resulted in a bricked unit. I have updated mine numerous times without a problem. I start it up, start the update and then leave the car secure while update completes.

From your screenshot it looks like you are downloading the wrong file and won't achieve the map update you are hoping for. You don't go for the 'free' file, you go for the correct update for your unit which I know looks like you have to pay. The Toyota system knows from the vehicle registration and the entry in My Toyota if it qualifies and allows the update free of charge rather than ask you for £119. Trust me, this works well.

The only other thing I would say is to give Toyota some time to sort it, I had a problem where my sat-nav unit didn't exist in the Toyota system but they sorted it in a couple of days. You might have misled them by trying to do the update with the wrong file though.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VeryRAV4 said:

I'm having problems updating the SatNav Map file on a 2019 Mark V XA-50. One poster on the Corolla forum cautions that failed updates can lead to a "bricked" head unit.  Followind the DIY guidance obtained from the local dealer, I've located the free file in the e-Store (apparently we are entitled to upgrades for 36 months from date of first use).

image.thumb.png.ada47f538e6f0d171d4a76721e64fc35.png

but when I select it and go to enter the Toyota Request Code (retrieved form the head unit) I receive this message:

image.thumb.png.da74baab7a788f5f0ddd63caa1fd1d08.png

I have raised a Toyota CR CASE number but the last reply from them simply said: "this issue logged with our dedicated IT department as their is an issue with the request code. I will update you as soon as I hear back from them, this can take some time depending on the complexity of the case." The request code was retrieved form the device and has been carefully entered. The device ID at My.Toyota was originally set to my previous Mk4 but now tallies with the correct vehicle.

Anyone experienced anything similar to this? I am not confident that Toyota have this issue nailed so would be grateful for any input.

I have the MK4 model. I think you may be going to the wrong map file in the e-store. I had to select 6.16.0L map update which initially had a cost associated to it but then it zeroed in the basket and was free of charge. 

It also helps if you log in to your Toyota account on your head unit. That just automatically links your unit to your profile. 

IMG_20210216_125005.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

11 minutes ago, raf82 said:

I have the MK4 model. I think you may be going to the wrong map file in the e-store. I had to select 6.16.0L map update which initially had a cost associated to it but then it zeroed in the basket and was free of charge. 

It also helps if you log in to your Toyota account on your head unit. That just automatically links your unit to your profile. 

IMG_20210216_125005.jpg

Toyota are still working on the map update issue. Meanwhile, this is the e-Store options that I am currently presented with. 

334646438_TEMP-MyMenu.thumb.PNG.5c209f307d96878719bcf485d3c4a924.PNG

Previously there had been a "6.10.0H" (Sept 2017) file as well as the 6.16.0L (August 2020) referred to above but these have disappeared from my menu. I would be grateful to know if other owners can see the 6.16.0L at this time? 

1 hour ago, VeryRAV4 said:

Toyota are still working on the map update issue. Meanwhile, this is the e-Store options that I am currently presented with. 

334646438_TEMP-MyMenu.thumb.PNG.5c209f307d96878719bcf485d3c4a924.PNG

Previously there had been a "6.10.0H" (Sept 2017) file as well as the 6.16.0L (August 2020) referred to above but these have disappeared from my menu. I would be grateful to know if other owners can see the 6.16.0L at this time? 

If you press “maps” in the e-store the 2 apps are listed. Oddly they are not listed in the “all” section of the e-store apps. Hope this helps.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:15 AM, Zoot2 said:

If you press “maps” in the e-store the 2 apps are listed. Oddly they are not listed in the “all” section of the e-store apps. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. It seems that the problem is with my vehicle, because the "Maps" tab only shows the one file.

Capture.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

I am pleased to report that Toyota Customer Relations eventually picked up this problem and issued a Case No. after a brief exchange of emails. Not so happy to report that, after a full day in the workshop, the local dealer has been unable to upgrade the maps, hence MM17 not upgraded either. It was tentatively suggested that it might need a new head unit. Collecting it tomorrow unfixed, but at least now it's officially Toyota's problem rather than mine. Thanks for the tips. Watch this space.

I'm watching this with interest as I changed my RAV4 a week ago to a 2019 and am puzzled how to update the maps although  had no problem doing this many times on my previous car.

Like you, it appears that the head unit is registered but I don't get offered the update in the e-store, just the free update shown in your previous post.

More investigation required !

I find the best way to update is to park in your drive and connect it to the home wi fi, its all done in 10 minutes

• Like 1

The Rav4 is now back at the dealership. According to the latest Toyota Customer Relations email: "a map data USB has been ordered in order to complete the map update. The dealer was able [sic] to update the software for both the DCU (Display Control Unit head unit) and the MEU (MultiMedia extension unit - navigation ECU).  The map update has been problematic."

Didn't I read somewhere on the forum that the map update needed doing first? I didn't think to photograph it but I am pretty sure that when I checked the screen on my car on Saturday, it was still showing 2017 DCU and MEU  software. I am sure it was similar to this photo, which I just took of a different vehicle.

Software.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpgSoftware.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpgSoftware.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpg

Software.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpgCould a Toyota expert kindly confirm that "17TDT2EU" above denotes 2017 software so that, following a successful upgrade, my RAV ought to display DCU and MEU codes that begin with 19? Thank you for any information.

The 17TDT2EU :

17 Running MM17 base

T## Toyota ## vary by model implementation 

1/2 Level one or two denotes hardware spec 

EU is Europe 

DCU - CA is Denso Ten manufactured, ##01/02 would be a MM17 software, ##30/31 would be MM19 software

DCU - DA is Panasonic manufactured,##01/02 would be a MM17 software, ##30/31 would be MM19 software

MEU - FA00 would be a MM17 software, FA10 would be MM19 software

3 hours ago, VeryRAV4 said:

The Rav4 is now back at the dealership. According to the latest Toyota Customer Relations email: "a map data USB has been ordered in order to complete the map update. The dealer was able [sic] to update the software for both the DCU (Display Control Unit head unit) and the MEU (MultiMedia extension unit - navigation ECU).  The map update has been problematic."

Didn't I read somewhere on the forum that the map update needed doing first? I didn't think to photograph it but I am pretty sure that when I checked the screen on my car on Saturday, it was still showing 2017 DCU and MEU  software. I am sure it was similar to this photo, which I just took of a different vehicle.

A map update may be needed if the installed maps matched versions: 943", "A36", "A4D", "B00", "B7E'', "2017v1" or "2017v2" any newer and no map update is required

Software.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpgSoftware.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpgSoftware.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpg

Software.thumb.jpg.21dba333b2d80d7830e3d7f853d17243.jpgCould a Toyota expert kindly confirm that "17TDT2EU" above denotes 2017 software so that, following a successful upgrade, my RAV ought to display DCU and MEU codes that begin with 19? Thank you for any information.

The 17TDT2EU :

17 Running MM17 base

T## Toyota ## vary by model implementation 

1/2 Level one or two denotes hardware spec 

EU is Europe 

DCU - CA is Denso Ten manufactured, ##01/02 would be a MM17 software, ##30/31 would be MM19 software

DCU - DA is Panasonic manufactured,##01/02 would be a MM17 software, ##30/31 would be MM19 software

MEU - FA00 would be a MM17 software, FA10 would be MM19 software

Many thanks for that explanation, Devon Aygo. The map version that came with the car was definitely 2017, hence my original query about updating to 2020. From your first sentence, it seems unlikely that the garage managed to update the DCU and MEU software as stated, because the process remains stalled on the map update.

I will report what happens.

Thanks Devon Aygo for that excellent explanation which helps in a big way. I know that mine is a Panasonic with MM17 software.

Pleased to say that I have successfully updated the map database to 2020v2 and didn't need to be worried about the process.

Good to hear of your successful upgrade. My car has been in the workshop for a total of two and a half days with the best brains of Toyota UK on hand to help the garage achieve the same thing. The latest word from Customer Relations is that the dealership "encountered problems in doing the map update following the arrival of the data USB". 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 6:39 PM, VeryRAV4 said:

Good to hear of your successful upgrade. My car has been in the workshop for a total of two and a half days with the best brains of Toyota UK on hand to help the garage achieve the same thing. The latest word from Customer Relations is that the dealership "encountered problems in doing the map update following the arrival of the data USB". 

After several failed attempts to load the maps, the head unit was eventually changed by the dealer and the car handed back (Friday 26/3/2021) with the 2020 maps. This was the data shown on the vehicle's "Software update" page:

Model ID DCU - 17TDT2EU-DA01
Model ID MEU - 17TMT2EU-FA00
Audio : 1042
Navigation : 1540
navdb_version : 2020 v2

Naturally I queried the software version, quoting the information posted above (Thanks, Devon Aygo). I am pleased to report that Toyota CR agreed to pick up the cost of upgrading the car to MM19, with the Apple and Android software thrown in. They still can't explain why the old head unit wouldn't allow the maps to be updated from 2017 and I think this might account for their generosity on this occasion. Anyway, assuming that the upgrade goes well next week, the matter should be closed. Thank you to all who shared their knowledge. 

A final snag is that My-Toyota now shows the wrong head unit number but I have been assured that deleting - then re-adding - the vehicle should resolve this.