Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dog Crates

HectorG

Up until four or so years ago I had a couple of Springer Spaniels which meant I ran a succession of SUV’s. After their demise, my wife and I decided to catch up on International travel and we spent 3 to 4 months abroad for the next 4 years. Recently I’ve undergone major surgery which, together with COVID😱, has ruled out long haul travel for the foreseeable future. 

In view of my past relationship with spaniels, my eldest daughter persuaded me to acquire one of a friend’s puppies from a litter of 8 working cockers. Sorry about the long preamble - I’ll get to the point! When I traded my RAV4 hybrid for my current Prius PHV I had not considered getting another dog and therefore the compromised boot was a relatively minor issue. I now find myself having to consider how I can accommodate Claude in a safe manner. I would prefer a crate/cage if possible as working cockers are incredible escape artists. 

Can anyone with a Prius and a small/medium dog offer any advice on how I can fit the dog in and avoid having to change the Prius when it’s only just over 2 years old? I am anxious to avoid disposing of the Prius because secondhand values seem to be rock bottom at the moment for some reason and I would probably have to take a big hit in the wallet, even though I bought it as a demonstrator for a reasonable price. 

When I bought the PHV  I perhaps mistakenly assumed that a plug-in hybrid was bound to hold onto its value rather better than a diesel or thirsty petrol car. It seems that for whatever reason - only 4 seats, small boot, motorists current obsession with SUV’s - the Prius PHV is largely unloved,  despite being brilliant at what it does. At about 18,000 miles it was recording 234 mpg overall.

Any advice gratefully received as always.

• Like 1

I have a Prius + and got a cage from TransK9.co.uk as my dog is a very large GSD i had to have a large double box for him but they do smaller boxes but they are not cheap by any means but are probably the best out there at moment.

9 hours ago, ian999 said:

I have a Prius + and got a cage from TransK9.co.uk as my dog is a very large GSD i had to have a large double box for him but they do smaller boxes but they are not cheap by any means but are probably the best out there at moment.

Thanks for that ian,

Fantastic quality crates, but as you say, certainly not cheap. Unfortunately, they don’t have anything  suitable for the shallow boot of the PHV, which isn’t surprising. I may just have to consider putting the rear seats down and installing a crate behind the front seats. Not ideal, but avoids losing a shed load of cash.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem trying to find one to fit the RAV4 Hybrid, due to the small shelf that houses the Battery. TransK9 have suggested making a wooden plinth then buying their smaller one, but they are now out of stock and we need one for the end of the month. Anyone found any other makers that do anything remotely similar?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links