Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Toyota extended warranty worth it on 5 year old Auris Hybrid?

itm

We had our 5-year-old Auris Hybrid serviced & MOT'd yesterday. They are trying to sell us extended warranty on the basis of 2 years for the price of one, but their explanation of the benefits on the phone wasn't very clear, and when we asked them to confirm it in an email they just sent some hand-scribbled notes on a Service Plan template which didn't make it much clearer. 

The impression given is that for £495 (inc VAT) we get 2 years of servicing, MOT and AA cover. The phone call suggested that we would only get a "discount" on servicing, however (i.e. the whole cost would not be covered). There's also no indication of what would be included/excluded from the warranty either (e.g. batteries, clutch, ...?).

Does anyone know exactly what the extended warranty covers on 5-year-old vehicles?

• Like 1

I understand the warranty is insurance-backed, and run on Toyota's behalf, although that's not obvious.  I can't remember any complaints from owners about bits that weren't covered, it seems as good as these schemes get.  It runs up the whole range, and also into the Lexus brand on the same terms - the charge for the more expensive Lexuses is around £2500,  on the current  2 for 1 offer!  And that 2 for 1 offer has been running for some years now, but that doesn't mean it'll be on forever, of course. 

Servicing itself isn't included.

I think I'm correct in saying the AA cover is Europe-wide, so worth a bit more.

At 5 years old, you will (separately) be eligible for the Toyota servicing discount of 20% anyway, for which free membership with Toyota is required in advance, this can be done online with Toyota, whether you finally decide you want their servicing or not.

You need to be clear on what you're buying.

An extended warranty does not include servicing as per your post.

See the following link for what the extended warranty covers - https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty

Toyota extended warranties may be extended up to the vehicle's 12th birthday.

For a discount on servicing for vehicle's over 5 years of age, you can join Toyota's 5+ Club, which provides a 20% discount on services and MOTs (not needed if an extended warranty is in force) - https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-service-join-toyota-5-club/

Thanks for that. Do you know if the policy includes the full cost of 2 services, or just a discount off the service costs?

When I had my auris they offered me a similar deal I think, but I did not take up the offer as I was going to trade it in, a main service was around £250 I think and an interim service slightly less so if you factor in those costs and the AA Membership At around £74 a year it does seem a good deal.

bare in mind that most Toyota’s are ultra reliable I know someone who had a land cruiser and that had done 500,000 miles all he ever had replaced was a wheel bearing, also the warranty will only cover manufacturing faults so if you hit a pothole and broke a spring it might not be covered.

• Like 2

Let's be clear on this -

An extended warranty does not include servicing.

A service plan is servicing only - where you pay either a fixed sum usually monthly, and that covers you for a specified number of services. The cost of the MOT can also be included if you wish.

So which have you been offered?

At the end of the day, only you can decide whether whatever you have been offered, is best for you.

2 minutes ago, Rosgoe said:

When I had my auris they offered me a similar deal I think, but I did not take up the offer as I was going to trade it in, a main service was around £250 I think and an interim service slightly less so if you factor in those costs and the AA Membership At around £74 a year it does seem a good deal.

bare in mind that most Toyota’s are ultra reliable I know someone who had a land cruiser and that had done 500,000 miles all he ever had replaced was a wheel bearing, also the warranty will only cover manufacturing faults so if you hit a pothole and broke a spring it might not be covered.

As per frosty balls it does look like it is only a discount on the servicing if at all I don’t think now going back that the offer I had included servicing.

As regards the extended warranty - 

1. The annual cost of Toyota Roadside Assistance (cover for UK and Europe) is £76

2. The standard cost of an MOT is currently £54.85.

So for a two year extended warranty, the cost of the 2 year extended warranty could be viewed as around £310 if you deduct what two years roadside assistance and two MOTs cost.

Ah OK their scribbled paperwork makes more sense in the context of the comments above - thanks!

It looks like they are offering a service plan (for service #6 and service #7 and what appears to include 2 free MOTs) for £400, but it's not clear if VAT is included, and a separate extended warranty for £495 inc VAT. So the extended warranty doesn't seem like a great idea, but the service plan could be worthwhile if that price includes VAT.

i know lexus AA breakdown cover will cover 2 people who live in

the same household for a period of 2 years i dont know if the

same applies with the toyota warranty , it should do as the CT

warranty is the same price as the Auris.

buying the warranty is a no brainer if you take off 2 years breakdown

cover for 2 people the outstanding amount of the purchase price

is to cover all parts and labour for 2 years

I already use AutoAid for breakdown - cheaper than AA/RAC and it covers family members rather than specific vehicles, which suits us better. So the breakdown cover doesn't really appeal to us.

The warranty also excludes normal wear & tear items so something big would need to keel over.

Very few warranties, whether new car or extended, cover wear and tear.

I have just purchased the toyota extended warranty as my 5yrs ends this month on the 19th. I think it's a good deal just for piece of mind. All servicing and repairs have been carried out by the same main dealer. One never knows whats around the corner. Just look at the pandemic. All you can do is try and cover your options. Good luck.

• Like 2

For me it's a yes. I purchased a 2015 Auris hybrid estate with 26,000miles and it came with 12 months approved used warranty but bought the extra 2 years warranty on top as well as a service plan. £720.

The AC packed in 6 months after buying. Dealer explained "if stone damage not covered" Found Condenser leaking on bottom right corner. Refused on phone, then dealer sent photos and thankfully Toyota 12 months used warranty paid for a new condenser and fitting and regas. Sadly had to wait for 3 months to get a Condenser as on back order.

I have got my £500 covered there in the one repair.

James👍

• Like 1

pasting the below which i posted in a different thread in 2017. Years = age of car at the time of claim

My opinion? Go for it.

From memory...

Alternator failure at 85,000 miles / 8 years - covered 

Clutch making a faint rattling noise if you release the clutch pedal, in neutral when the car is idling  58,000 / 5 years - covered

Air con compressor making a faint rattle like the noise of crickets (insect) when engine idling - AC worked perfectly though - 80,000 / 7 years - covered  

Drivers door seal leaking water - covered

Thermostat housing o-ring - 76,000 - 7 years - covered

Intermediate steering shaft due to knocking on steering - 72,000 - 7 years - covered

DPF sensor pipes blocked - 55,000miles / 5 years - covered

All claims were fixed by replacing the parts, not fixing them.

I never had an issue with rejected claims and as you can see a lot weren't even failures they were rattles/knocking. Do however note - that for a lot of the above issues Toyota had released technical service bulletins (I think this was the term...) regarding them.

It’s worth it even though it’s a hybrid car and they doesn’t have the above parts or problems still a good to be covered. There is some  mileage restrictions too I believe and for me personally anything warranty or good will it’s not possible or worth it. Saving I do from my personal service are over £1000 a year, enough to cover eventual failure. , hopefully not happening but never know. 🚗👌

• 2 weeks later...

I have taken out extended warranty on my aygo, they paid up for faulty clutch (all replaced).. 

On 2/19/2021 at 9:17 AM, TonyHSD said:

There is some  mileage restrictions too I believe

15,000 per year, which would probably be sufficient for most owners.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Well, I have taken out the extended guarantee on my 3.5 year old Auris, starting when the 5 years guarantee is up.

Felt it worth while after my Prius (yes 9 years old I know) went bang in a big way.  Resistor system within the Hybrid went bust.  Total cost would have been something like £3k up to £6.5k (from a new resistive board through a new Hybrid system to a new gearbox computer or all of that) depending on the damage and what caused it and what needed replacing.  Eventually paid £1.1k but the cause of the fault not found so I got rid of the car in case it happens again - or perhaps when it happens again!

I know this won't help the OP as a couple of months old but thought I'd put down my thoughts for others to read if they are searching similar topic.........   My auris tourer is 7 yrs old and has been serviced by the same garage since I bought it new in 2014 (pre reg).  1.6 petrol and has done 50k. 

I took out the extended warranty 2 years ago.  Have used the breakdown cover once due to wheel issue and had 2 MOTs.  Would have taken breakdown cover without the warranty (about £150 for 2 years) and MOTs (about £50 each - although less when you get them to price match!) so the warranty element has essentially cost me £250 for 2 years or £125 per year. 

OK so I'm very aware that I haven't used the warranty in those 2 yrs........!!!  But £125 per year for a warranty seems very good value to me.  It does not cover everything but Toyota are about as good as they get at covering what they can - my dealership have been great at arguing my case on repairs that could have been considered wear and tear by some on my avensis within its 5yr warranty period and I'd trust them to fight my corner on the auris and the extended warranty. Depends on your willingness to take on risk as to whether it's good value - worth noting though that not many repairs are less than £125 these days.

I was going to replace my 7 yr old auris with a new corolla but couldn't get comfortable in it.  Considered a newer auris hybrid but was concerned regarding catalytic converter theft.  So have decided to keep my (currently) faultless and much loved 2014 auris.  Will extend the warranty again because the £125 / year warranty cost is pennies compared with the depreciation if I had have bought a new/newer car.  £125 for relative peace of mind is worth it - in my opinion (especially when compared against depreciation savings) although clearly others will disagree!       

Took out service plan at the same time and got a decent discount on annual service costs (£292 for 2 services - 1 full and 1 intermediate) this seemed unusually generous compared with the normal Toyota 5+ 20% off system!   Worth remembering not to take MOTs as part of your service plan when offered as they are free with the warranty!

Interesting thread and useful reminders that even Toyotas can go wrong. I've taken my chances so far with my 7 year old / 50K miles Auris and had no problems apart from wear and tear items, which the warranty wouldn't cover. However, this thread makes me wonder - £125 per annum for peace of mind is really not a lot, and some of those potential bills are eye-watering. My thinking is that a £1000 bill to keep the car on the road for another year would be cheap compared to buying a new car - anything beyond that and I'd regret not having a warranty!

The extended warranty ends at 12 years old - does this mean that problems start to increase sharply at that age?

not been offered extra warranty,maybe a covid slip. 2yr service plan ran out,nice not seeing an itemised bill,as against a charge for washer fluid,you know not needed,unless they [toyota] used it. I'll see whats offered this yr.

funny story,tried to sell me a body protection coating,[refused] pretty sure it had already been done.