Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015 Aygo Gear Box

GDJTAM

Had a change of cars in the family so gone is my Corolla and now I have my daughters Aygo. First thing I've noticed in the Aygo is the gear box selection when comparing it to my Corolla and my wife's Mokka. The Aygo changes gear without problem but it sounds like two pieces of metal clanging when shifting gear. It feels like the gear box was made by a 12 year old in metalwork, all 5 gears and reverse not only clangs but it's like i'm throwing a sausage up an alley when selecting gear! is this the norm for Aygo's?

Is there any roughness in shifting when cold/warm, other than the sounds, crunching, resistance?

Worn linkage, cable stretched or worn selector, when was the last time the gearbox oil was checked/changed ?

The selectors on the aygo's do wear and there is a spring and catch that can break, re-lubing with white grease sometimes helps

No crunching, roughness or resistance,  just feels a cheap gearbox, you can feel and hear the metal on metal when selecting gear, My Corolla didn't have this and it was smooth to change.

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Worn linkage/cable or worn selector, when was the last time the gearbox oil was checked/changed ?

The selectors on the aygo's do wear and there is a spring and catch that can break, re-lubing with white grease sometimes helps

The Aygo has had the recommended annual service from Year 1, unless the gearbox is checked when doing this then the gearbox oil has never been changed. Many thanks

compared to a Carolla, an Aygo is going to feel very different. As you say, its a cheaper car so its going to be made with cheaper parts. Having said that, since the 2018 facelift, they have improved. I drive an auto and that used to feel clunky as well, but its got a lot smoother now when I got my 2020 aygo.

Is there plenty of slop in the gearbox selectors? I  found that lubricating the cables both sides with some lithium grease, and adjusting the lever if there is an adjustment option, can do wonders, and make it smooth again.

8 hours ago, furtula said:

Is there plenty of slop in the gearbox selectors? I  found that lubricating the cables both sides with some lithium grease, and adjusting the lever if there is an adjustment option, can do wonders, and make it smooth again.

That's very much the case, remove the center console, inspect, clean, adjust and lube - the adjusters are on the selector - the cable are well known for stretching they are about £160 at the dealer but can be had for £75 if you shop around

eg. https://citybugstore.co.uk/citroen-c1/clutch/drive/manual-transmission-gear-cable.html

You can do as recommended try to make it smoother , you can also test drive another Aygo from same age to compare before any conclusion or repairs, many of the small cars has rough gears even no synchronised 1 st and reverse gears, these are always clunky. Corolla is two more classes above and it’s normal to be smoother. 👍

That's a great idea, thank you. I am comparing it against my old Corolla and my wife's Mokka so thinking about it, it may just be the way Aygo's are. I think I'll wait for the used car garages to fully open and test drive the same aged vehicle. Thank you

• Like 2