Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Supra 1996 Swaps?

RYZ7

Hello Toyota Lovers! 

So, I am going to buy a 1996 Automatic Toyota Supra (without the spoiler) and i am worried about buying it cause i want the 2jz gte, the original spoiler and a manual gearbox (maybe the 6-speed one) do you guys know if its possible to swap both of those items and make the 1996 supra be like a stock 1998 toyota supra  2jz gte 6 speed manual?

because i am not a mechanic i have almost 0 experience about fixing a car and those things ( im thinking about hire a mechanic to do the swaps for me )

Thanks for the support! 

Just now, RYZ7 said:

Hello Toyota Lovers! 

So, I am going to buy a 1996 Automatic Toyota Supra (without the spoiler) and i am worried about buying it cause i want the 2jz gte, the original spoiler and a manual gearbox (maybe the 6-speed one) do you guys know if its possible to swap both of those items and make the 1996 supra be like a stock 1998 toyota supra  2jz gte 6 speed manual?

because i am not a mechanic i have almost 0 experience about fixing a car and those things ( im thinking about hire a mechanic to do the swaps for me )

Thanks for the support! 

Hi, is the supra you're buying turbo or non turbo

Just now, 2toyos said:

Hi, is the supra you're buying turbo or non turbo

Thanks for anwsering me, well i am buying it from portugal the owner says that is a 320 HP engine Twin Turbo with 3000c and about 190k kilometers 

and i am still wondering why there is a twin turbo with an automatic

Hi there

"i want the 2jz gte, the original spoiler and a manual gearbox (maybe the 6-speed one) do you guys know if its possible to swap both of those items and make the 1996 supra be like a stock 1998 toyota supra  2jz gte 6 speed manual?"

Yes, this is entirely possible, and has been done a lot. There is no real difference between a 1996 and 1998 model.  There were some minor differences between pre 96 and post 96 models, but not many. Its only when you compare UK, US, European and Japanese models that you some more significant differences in terms of options and turbos for example.

The spoiler is an easy swap. literally 10 minute job if the spoiler holes exist already ( 4 Bolts). 30 min if drilling is required.
The gearbox however is a massive problem to swap, simply because its not cost effective. "Supra-Tax" is real, and anything for a supra has a high price these days. So the original gearbox ("Getrag 6 speed" - V160 and V161) is very, very expensive. Most people are now using much cheaper 6 speed gearbox's from BMW's which are just as good or better, and a 1/5 of the price. Its also a huge job because its not just the gearbox, but anything that's connected to it like the the pedals, dash, driveshaft, difff and some electronics as well.  If your getting a mechanic do it, it will be very, very expensive, especially if you want original parts which are becoming very hard to find these days. Also remember original parts might make the car worth more, but they are very poor in comparison to modern counterparts. I strongly recommend using modern alternative parts wherever possible. Suspension, Brakes, Turbo, Fuelling, Electronics, Cooling, Etc, etc. It devalues the car, but it will be a hell of a lot safer and miles faster. An original, all factory Supra just isn't that fast in today's world.

Lastly, this forum is a dead end for supra's. There no interest or activity on them. (God knows I tried years ago) The best place to ask this stuff is actually on the dedicated Facebook groups such as https://www.facebook.com/groups/1067056863389384. Alternatively, there is a Supra UK 'Club', (MkIV supra Owners Club - https://www.mkivsupra.net/) which is great for online technical advice and help. It has very detailed build threads by people who have done exactly what you are planning. However, the 'club' offers nothing else and is usually not very welcoming, so you have to put up with a lot of very bad attitudes when you interact with it.

7 hours ago, Supra_knight said:

Hi there

"i want the 2jz gte, the original spoiler and a manual gearbox (maybe the 6-speed one) do you guys know if its possible to swap both of those items and make the 1996 supra be like a stock 1998 toyota supra  2jz gte 6 speed manual?"

Yes, this is entirely possible, and has been done a lot. There is no real difference between a 1996 and 1998 model.  There were some minor differences between pre 96 and post 96 models, but not many. Its only when you compare UK, US, European and Japanese models that you some more significant differences in terms of options and turbos for example.

The spoiler is an easy swap. literally 10 minute job if the spoiler holes exist already ( 4 Bolts). 30 min if drilling is required.
The gearbox however is a massive problem to swap, simply because its not cost effective. "Supra-Tax" is real, and anything for a supra has a high price these days. So the original gearbox ("Getrag 6 speed" - V160 and V161) is very, very expensive. Most people are now using much cheaper 6 speed gearbox's from BMW's which are just as good or better, and a 1/5 of the price. Its also a huge job because its not just the gearbox, but anything that's connected to it like the the pedals, dash, driveshaft, difff and some electronics as well.  If your getting a mechanic do it, it will be very, very expensive, especially if you want original parts which are becoming very hard to find these days. Also remember original parts might make the car worth more, but they are very poor in comparison to modern counterparts. I strongly recommend using modern alternative parts wherever possible. Suspension, Brakes, Turbo, Fuelling, Electronics, Cooling, Etc, etc. It devalues the car, but it will be a hell of a lot safer and miles faster. An original, all factory Supra just isn't that fast in today's world.

Lastly, this forum is a dead end for supra's. There no interest or activity on them. (God knows I tried years ago) The best place to ask this stuff is actually on the dedicated Facebook groups such as https://www.facebook.com/groups/1067056863389384. Alternatively, there is a Supra UK 'Club', (MkIV supra Owners Club - https://www.mkivsupra.net/) which is great for online technical advice and help. It has very detailed build threads by people who have done exactly what you are planning. However, the 'club' offers nothing else and is usually not very welcoming, so you have to put up with a lot of very bad attitudes when you interact with it.

Thanks! i made a post in the https://www.mkivsupra.net/ forum i hope you see it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links