Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Odd engine noise on cold start

Jonttu56

Found this video on youtube.

Dealing with completely the same problem with my 2zzge, sounds pretty narly and loud. Car starts fine, runs 10-20secs normally, then that sound comes on for about 1-2 minutes and when the car warms up the sound goes off completely. This happens about 50% of the times when cold starting the car.

what could be the issues with this?

I have the same issue with my 2006 corolla 1.6 vvt. Changed alternator, drive belt with new tensioner and water pump thinking it was one of the bearings. Sound is still there, every other cold start. otherwise it runs perfectly.

I used to have a Corolla T-Sport and had what sounds a similar problem. In my case it was the tensioner pulley on the auxiliary belt and I fixed it in minutes and with no parts needed. The fix lasted throughout all my time with the car, and it started around 3 to 4 years old and I kept it 8 years.

All you need to do (assuming yours is physically the same) is to place a long shafted flat bladed screwdriver into/against the small gap between the pulley and its centre securing bolt and plate and trickle some engine oil down the driver shaft so that it runs into the bearing. Have some paper towel handy to wipe any over run up as there will be some. Tkes moments  to do and in my case was a permanent fix for 10's of thousands of miles.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links