Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo badly leaking rear shocks, 8 years, 45k miles

fordulike

This isn't a thread to whinge about why did both the rear shocks decide to fail at around 8years and 45k miles. It's to warn forum members that this might be an area to check, before you take your car in for an MOT.

The car flew through its MOT last year at the 7 year point with no advisories. This year, after only another 2500 miles (thanks Covid), both the rear shocks decided to die on me by leaking very badly. I had looked over the car personally last year pre MOT, and the rears showed zero signs of any leakage.

After getting my highly trusted local garage to supply and fit new rear shocks, I asked the guy if he would quote me for the front shocks, as I said to him that as the rears had given up the ghost, surely the fronts wouldn't be far behind. He reassuringly told me that both the fronts were in rude health and that they get failures of the rears on many of my type of car i.e. Aygo, C1 and 107's.

• Thanks 1

I had my previous 2008 C1 for 10 years until part ex it in 2020 for my Aygo, was still on original front & rear shocks.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

I had my previous 2008 C1 for 10 years until part ex it in 2020 for my Aygo, was still on original front & rear shocks.

That's good to know. I'm wondering if during the production cycle of each model, whether branding of parts change. Maybe PSA cheaped out a bit on later models 🤨

I mean, mine weren't just leaking slightly, like you'd usually find, they were p***ing out oil. It's not like my journeys are particularly harsh on the suspension either. Before Covid, literally a daily 15 mile round trip 5 days a week, on mostly dual carriageway.

1 hour ago, PetrolDave said:

May I ask, how many miles were on the clock when you part ex'd it?

Hi David and thanks for that as it's a timely reminder for me as my little fella is booked in for a service on March 10th.  After only doing 1200 miles this past year, I've asked them to take special note of all hoses, boots, bushes and tyres (For age/lack of use cracks).  I'll add the rear shockers to my list after what you have said as our cars are, pretty much, the same.

Strangely enough, for me the situation was the opposite....It was my front McPherson struts that needed changing.  It was at last years service that I was told that whist the struts themselves were absolutely fine, it was the "cup" at the base of the spring that was showing signs of corrosion and so, as a precaution (My MOT is in June) I got them to change them.  The front struts are more expensive and take longer to fit as they are a bit of a fiddle to fit (Windscreen wipers and scuttle to remove to get at the top bolts etc.) but after what you have said, I might just get a new pair of rear shocks anyway.

You make a good point about our "Fire" model as it was a roll-out model and whilst it had all the bells and whistles thrown at it by way of fog lamps and alloys, maybe PSA didn't take the same care on some of the basic bits and bobs.

Anyway, like you say, this isn't a moan either as mine is coming up to his ninth birthday and whilst I would normally change a car after 3 or 4 years, this one is staying with me.....It has to be one of, if not the best in the reliability stakes, cars I have ever owned.  My wife and I still love the bones of the little fella and he's still fun to drive....Thanks to thiis dreadful Covid thing, not much used this past year but when he has been, has always started, run well and always put a smile on my face....."Go fun yourself", if you remember the advert....Well they got that right!!! :wink:

All the best and thanks again. :thumbsup:

58 minutes ago, fordulike said:

May I ask, how many miles were on the clock when you part ex'd it?

55k miles - much of it on rough rural roads in Hampshire and Devon, very little A road or motorway so quite hard on the suspension.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links