Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Update help

Tonymac1

Hi everyone, need help with updates.

I have downloaded the map updates from the myToyota site (2020 v2 map update) and extracted onto a memory stick. The memory stick is fat32 as per Toyota instructions, when I view the memory stick I have a folder called MFU inside that there is 4 iso files.

when I insert stick into car it’s says checking usb then nothing, as though it can’t find an update, tried several times with no joy, what am I doing wrong ?

please help it’s doing my head in

thanks

tony

1 hour ago, Tonymac1 said:

Hi everyone, need help with updates.

I have downloaded the map updates from the myToyota site (2020 v2 map update) and extracted onto a memory stick. The memory stick is fat32 as per Toyota instructions, when I view the memory stick I have a folder called MFU inside that there is 4 iso files.

when I insert stick into car it’s says checking usb then nothing, as though it can’t find an update, tried several times with no joy, what am I doing wrong ?

please help it’s doing my head in

thanks

tony

From memory the 4 .iso files need to be in the root of the USB stick,  i.e not inside a folder

have you checked the version of the map compaired to the car being a 2021 i would think its on the latest update

31 minutes ago, Timh21 said:

From memory the 4 .iso files need to be in the root of the USB stick,  i.e not inside a folder

I tried that mate and still did not work 🙁

10 minutes ago, Tonymac1 said:

I tried that mate and still did not work 🙁

Dunno then mate, dodgy USB stick? Its a right old faff anyway, takes well over an hour to install so hope your on a longish drive. Some have done a map update over the air so to speak with a phone tethered, takes a lot less time though not sure why, maybe over air doesnt update all countries?

Just thought, when i did mine it did seem as though it wasnt doing anything for quite a while before I saw "Validating Update files"

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

have you checked the version of the map compaired to the car being a 2021 i would think its on the latest update

It’s not a 2021 mate is a 2019 and the map version tells me it’s not up to date

This is how my memory stick looked when I updated, FMU folder with 4 files inside.

If car is not recognising, try downloading again, reformat stick, and load this folder once more from your fresh download. 

image.thumb.png.dec6bb53ccc9ca0047cc0eb22b97b8c8.png

Please update your profile, are you using mac or pc ? Mac doesn't format correctly in FAT32 also memory sticks over 32gb can be hit and miss

you can also do the update or check version via the hidden menu

33 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Please update your profile, are you using mac or pc ? Mac doesn't format correctly in FAT32 also memory sticks over 32gb can be hit and miss

you can also do the update or check version via the hidden menu

Hidden menu? Where is that?

I am also using 32gb stick in a Mac

48 minutes ago, Timmon said:

This is how my memory stick looked when I updated, FMU folder with 4 files inside.

If car is not recognising, try downloading again, reformat stick, and load this folder once more from your fresh download. 

image.thumb.png.dec6bb53ccc9ca0047cc0eb22b97b8c8.png

That’s exactly what mine looked like

• Like 1

Same as the MM17

I don't know what it is but the toyota units don't the way mac's format

1 hour ago, Tonymac1 said:

It’s not a 2021 mate is a 2019

It is useful if the information you include in your profile is correct. Profile changed.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Same as the MM17

I don't know what it is but the toyota units don't the way mac's format

Which, given how well documented FATx file systems are is a pretty sad indictment of Macs.

If you do the ota via your phone it takes 40 mins or so and only updates UK maps 

4 minutes ago, Malcster said:

If you do the ota via your phone it takes 40 mins or so and only updates UK maps 

When I go to the software update menu, the update button is greyed out and won’t let me select anything

On 2/20/2021 at 8:32 PM, Malcster said:

On a 2019 Corolla, you can't do OTA only via stick

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:37 PM, Tonymac1 said:

When I go to the software update menu, the update button is greyed out and won’t let me select anything

Did you try formating stick and download again ie start the whole process again from scratch? Otherwise, maybe the dealer can do an update for you supplying the data on a stick formatted from a PC rather than a MAC. 

4 hours ago, Timmon said:

Did you try formating stick and download again ie start the whole process again from scratch? Otherwise, maybe the dealer can do an update for you supplying the data on a stick formatted from a PC rather than a MAC. 

I’ve tried 2 different sticks and a pc as well as a Mac, still no joy, trouble is the nearest dealer is nearly an hour away and due to work can never get there.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 3:55 PM, Tonymac1 said:

I’ve tried 2 different sticks and a pc as well as a Mac, still no joy, trouble is the nearest dealer is nearly an hour away and due to work can never get there.

I can only suggest you try to find a friend with a PC who can do the whole process for you. Pain.

All these updates does the dealership not carry this out when the car goes in for service ?

26 minutes ago, Timmon said:

I can only suggest you try to find a friend with a PC who can do the whole process for you. Pain.

And this will achieve what? I’ve already tried windows pc, a Mac and more than 1 memory stick.

20 hours ago, Tonymac1 said:

And this will achieve what? I’ve already tried windows pc, a Mac and more than 1 memory stick.

OK, I didn't  fully register your recent comment where you mentioned you had tried a PC as well. Best leave it until your service and get the dealer to check and advise. Frustrating, but as long as your Nav is still working, I doubt you are missing much by skipping the most recent update for a bit longer.

One last thought, on the PC did you do a quick format or a full format? My first update back in 2019, I had similar problems, but had been quick formatting the stick, which was not a new one. After full formatting, which takes a lot longer,  the car finally recognised the files and started updating. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links