Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camry Hybrid Excel or Corolla TS Trek 2.0L

Rolando1

What do you guys think would be a better buy in terms of comfort and relaxing drive. Both are fine for my needs in terms of practicality.

Price wise not much difference used for a Camry Hybrid Excel or a Corolla TS Trek 2.0L version. 

Differences:

1. Toyota have confirmed the Camry's with the 7 inch touch screens won't be getting Android auto but the newer versions with the bigger screen similar to the Corolla will but they are out of my price range.

2. No leather option on the Corolla Trek 

Thanks

Hi, these are very different cars in all aspects. Camry is a large car and heavier with bigger drive train and engine will definitely be the more comfortable one, on the other side the Corolla Trek is more modern, much more practical because its higher of the road, has more useful space, seats down plus its estate, it all depends your needs. I will prefer to get the Corolla. Cars like Camry are from last century, even in US Camry has left the league of most selling cars to the RAV4 for that reason. If you do mostly motorway journeys for yourself and people Camry wins, for every day needs , like family car , trips to IKEA etc , holidays Corolla Trek wins IMO. 👍 Both of these are my favourite. , together with RAV4 hybrid in fwd. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback and yes agree the Corolla TS is very practical. Love the new RAV4 hybrid but it's just that bit too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe I'm just old but I do like the saloon shape of cars.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rolando1 said:

Thanks for the feedback and yes agree the Corolla TS is very practical. Love the new RAV4 hybrid but it's just that bit too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe I'm just old but I do like the saloon shape of cars.

You are welcome, I also like saloons too, but estates especially with higher ground clearance makes them really appealing and practical. 

With a saloon I'll always have a get out on those IKEA tips lol

• Like 2

RAV4 can be had with a good discount via a few online brokers, around the price of the one year old car at the dealers. I like mine very much, very comfortable and tons of space for family and can load it with other things when needed. I drove the new Camry and it drives very similar to RAV4 (same drivetrain), but it is very long and boot did not work for me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rav4ster said:

RAV4 can be had with a good discount via a few online brokers, around the price of the one year old car at the dealers. I like mine very much, very comfortable and tons of space for family and can load it with other things when needed. I drove the new Camry and it drives very similar to RAV4 (same drivetrain), but it is very long and boot did not work for me.

Was it the boot opening aperture you had issues with or the shape of the boot floor? 

The seats are folding in Camry but its surrounded by the rear seat mouldings all round.

• Like 1

Both to be honest, as I usually carry bulky kids items. And will have to have roofbox for family trips in a Camry. Also, if you want Apple Car Play or Android Auto, you need to wait for the refreshed Camry model, with the infotainment unit on top of the dashboard, as the current model does not support retrofit, where RAV4 does (design and up)

Camry is a car only for passengers and weekly grocery shopping, no IKEA , no building merchants, no holidays with sport activities equipment etc, it’s a great car for taxi drivers that do long airport routes, it’s a comfortable motorway cruiser. RAV4 is best family car, or Corolla estate, 👍

Bit surprised in another thread on this forum someone is saying the Corolla isn't very well designed inside for car seats.

If you look on you tube.  Bob Flavin has reviewed a 1.8 Corolla Touring Sports and he stated it is better at driving comfort than luxury brands,  that was some statement coming from someone I respect as regards to cars he's tested. It was that review that sold me on the Touring sport.  

1 hour ago, catnash said:

If you look on you tube.  Bob Flavin has reviewed a 1.8 Corolla Touring Sports and he stated it is better at driving comfort than luxury brands,  that was some statement coming from someone I respect as regards to cars he's tested. It was that review that sold me on the Touring sport.  

The very same guy has a review of the saloon version and that was one of its worst episodes ever with the most negative feedback and comments from subscribers and for a good reason. Corolla is great car with few downsides like limited space on rear seats and low roof line, kind of cramped, especially the hatchback, other two variants are acceptable 👍

That's why I didn't buy the hatchback.  With two growing kids and mountain biking into the wilds the TS is perfect.  The mpg is a bonus.

• Like 2

I looked fleetingly at the Camry in the showroom but thought it was a car with 2 distinct personalities.  Sitting in the driver seat it reminded me of the comfort of my previous A6 S-Line, felt well screwed together and similar cabin space.  Stepping out of the car and looking back at it from the outside was the major disappointment as it looked totally nondescript in my eyes.  The TS had a great write up and ticked the main boxes for me and can also take a tow bar (for my bike carrier) and also looked much sharper.  What accessories have I not tried? Semi automated parking - happier and quicker parking myself, auto high beam -  maybe more like auto inconsiderate (LED headlights can appear very bright even on dip), voice control - previous cars would not listen to me, don't want another argument with the TS!  My most used/helpful is the radar cruise control.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone who has the Corolla bash their knees getting in an out driver or passenger. One of the YouTube comments on Bob Flavin's review states because the car is low and the dash juts out a bit

28 minutes ago, Rolando1 said:

Does anyone who has the Corolla bash their knees getting in an out driver or passenger. One of the YouTube comments on Bob Flavin's review states because the car is low and the dash juts out a bit

I don't bash my knees when I get in, but then again I'm incapable of jumping in these days!  The car is low and it does feel like I'm 'stepping/settling' down somewhat when I get in it (my last car was a 4x4 you had to climb in).  I have the seat set high as I like a decent view across the bonnet, and even set at it's highest I still have plenty of headroom and I'm about 5' 11" (no pano roof on my car to steal headroom).

11 hours ago, Rolando1 said:

In this case the Trek spec wins over Excel as it’s an inch higher from the ground. If you watch German videos on YouTube many if not all specs of touring sport variants has higher suspension set up like on the trek in UK. , you can clearly see the gap between the tyres and wheel arches on the front. 

I've gone placed a deposit on a Corolla TS design trim 5 months old. Mixed feelings... it's the most expensive car I've ever bought. Hoping to collect on Friday no doubt I will be on here to understand the various functions work etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2021 at 9:55 PM, Rolando1 said:

In 5 months of ownership, I’ve never caught my knee on it 

28 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

In 5 months of ownership, I’ve never caught my knee on it 

Same here but only 2 months ownership, Ive got long legs so seat is back a way, dunno if that makes a difference. All I can say is its no more difficult getting in or out as it was in my previous Astra or Avensis for that matter. Renault Scenic was very easy, but that was its only good point, worse car ive ever owned, and thats including an Allegro (All Agro)😂

Has anyone made any mods or purchased any accessories for their Corolla?