Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Corolla GR Sport ground clearance at front


Recommended Posts

I wonder if a GR Sport owner could do me a quick favour and measure the ground clearance at the nose of the car? The reason for asking is I'm just about to trade in my 2003 Auris TS Excel for a 2020 GR Sport TS and am worried about possible grounding of the nose as I reverse up my drive - used to happen with a previous car (1991 Golf Gti 16v). I'm sure the Auris and Corolla clearances will be similar but I've only got an inch or so to play with so would like to be sure. Many thanks in advance 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Corolla Trek would you consider because of the ground clearance, its 2cm higher than GR ? I don’t know exactly the clearance but there was a complain about from Hatchback owner tha he scratched badly his front bumper lip in a similar situation. Hopefully Someone else can give you exact measurements soon. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you not get test drive back to your home so can check it for sure ? 
when I was selecting a car I got Corolla for weekend to test it 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Evora2010 said:

Can you not get test drive back to your home so can check it for sure ? 
when I was selecting a car I got Corolla for weekend to test it 

Thanks Clive but not really a practical option as it's 140 mile round trip to the dealer so it would be an overall 280 mile drive for the double trip just to find out. Having checked the Auris again I've got about 4cm clearance between the road and the rubber spoiler when the front wheels are in the dip of the gutter. The style of the Corolla make the front end look much deeper than the Auris but it's maybe no lower. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Corolla Trek would you consider because of the ground clearance, its 2cm higher than GR ? I don’t know exactly the clearance but there was a complain about from Hatchback owner tha he scratched badly his front bumper lip in a similar situation. Hopefully Someone else can give you exact measurements soon. 👍

Thanks, that's interesting. I'm in no rush to change but there's a really good deal on a nearly new GR Sport that I'm considering. Worst case if it does scrape I could drive front ways up the drive and reverse out but that's not ideal. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 2/21/2021 at 3:00 PM, delbois said:

I wonder if a GR Sport owner could do me a quick favour and measure the ground clearance at the nose of the car? The reason for asking is I'm just about to trade in my 2003 Auris TS Excel for a 2020 GR Sport TS and am worried about possible grounding of the nose as I reverse up my drive - used to happen with a previous car (1991 Golf Gti 16v). I'm sure the Auris and Corolla clearances will be similar but I've only got an inch or so to play with so would like to be sure. Many thanks in advance 👍

No takers?  I'll settle for anyone with a Corolla TS on 17" wheels - I don't want to get caught lying under the front of a stranger's car with a ruler!!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, its raining cats and dogs here at the moment, i can do it tomorrow if you still need it?

I also found this in an on-line brochure, not sure if it helps?

92539325_Screenshot2021-02-22at21_29_08.thumb.png.c21eb39107bb27308051e55b5ede0d39.png

 

Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ic2 said:

Sorry, its raining cats and dogs here at the moment, i can do it tomorrow if you still need it?

I also found this in an on-line brochure, not sure if it helps?

92539325_Screenshot2021-02-22at21_29_08.thumb.png.c21eb39107bb27308051e55b5ede0d39.png

 

Regards

Top man! Tomorrow would be great thanks... it looks like the ground clearance is a bit less than the Auris but it's the height at the nose that's critical to me 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Toyota list the overall car height as the same for all models, bar the Trek, which would suggest the clearance is same for all (Except Trek). Im guessing bigger wheels are offset by lower profile tyre, but it is a guess

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this help?

 

10 hours ago, delbois said:

Top man! Tomorrow would be great thanks... it looks like the ground clearance is a bit less than the Auris but it's the height at the nose that's critical to me 

 

4729708B-EC8F-4EB6-9114-CA8703193657.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ic2 said:

Does this help?

 

 

4729708B-EC8F-4EB6-9114-CA8703193657.jpeg

That's enormously helpful thanks. It looks like the lowest point is about 7.5" above the ground. The Auris has a rubber diffuser/spoiler beneath the plastic chin. The rubber spoiler is less than 6.5" above the ground so the Corolla actually provides an extra inch of clearance. Many thanks again to everyone who offered assistance 👍🏼

DSC_2229~2.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful here! If you're worried about grounding due to the dip between road camber and drive (as opposed to hitting a pavement when parking square on to a high kerb) then its the entry/exit angle you need to worry about (i.e. not just the height at the lowest point but how far the lowest point is from the centre of the front wheels). The lower the front overhang the better for any given lip height when you compare cars!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Geoff W said:

Be careful here! If you're worried about grounding due to the dip between road camber and drive (as opposed to hitting a pavement when parking square on to a high kerb) then its the entry/exit angle you need to worry about (i.e. not just the height at the lowest point but how far the lowest point is from the centre of the front wheels). The lower the front overhang the better for any given lip height when you compare cars!

Thanks Geoff..... very valid point of course. I had considered it and reckoned the front overhang in the Corolla would be similar to the Auris so reckoned the overall geometry would also be similar. I'll check it out anyway (from memory the Corolla front overhang is 93.5cm).

What a great resource this forum is! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, delbois said:

Thanks Geoff..... very valid point of course. I had considered it and reckoned the front overhang in the Corolla would be similar to the Auris so reckoned the overall geometry would also be similar. I'll check it out anyway (from memory the Corolla front overhang is 93.5cm).

What a great resource this forum is! 

Corolla front overhang 935mm

Auris front overhang 905mm

So 3cm greater overhang with the Corolla but there should still be enough leeway. 

To confirm a previous point it does appear that the overall ground clearance is the same irrespective of wheel size. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, delbois said:

Corolla front overhang 935mm

Auris front overhang 905mm

So 3cm greater overhang with the Corolla but there should still be enough leeway. 

To confirm a previous point it does appear that the overall ground clearance is the same irrespective of wheel size. 

Best when you have the car before your first attempt to go into the drive let the car to someone to drive slowly and you stay outside and watch, that’s the best so you know how much space left and how safe is to get in and out without damage. My dads car only goes in reverse inside his garage, estate car with low ground clearance and long overhang. 👍

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Best when you have the car before your first attempt to go into the drive let the car to someone to drive slowly and you stay outside and watch, that’s the best so you know how much space left and how safe is to get in and out without damage. My dads car only goes in reverse inside his garage, estate car with low ground clearance and long overhang. 👍

Definitely good advice 👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of when I had my SAAB! I always forgot when parking to not park with the nose over the curbs at the edge of car parks. I would park happily on my own. Then give 2 mates a lift home. Car drops an inch with the extra weight. I reverse to the happy sound of the nose scraping over the curb as it has now grounded! Happy days patching up ripped bodywork!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually never park any car over kerbs or too close to the kerb especially when kerbs are on the higher side, all sorts of damage including doors paintwork, sills , under engine, spoilers , just not worth the risk. If anyone buying a Lexus CT200h make sure check the doors, I read somewhere been lower than any other Auris or Prius and damage doors while opening near kerbs,  then I went to car giant all 11 Lexus had damage on their front doors. , not a big deal now but after few years rust will eat them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership