Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.4 D 1ND-TV "engine oil pressure too low" error

alexorsh

Hello, gentlemen.

For half a year we have been struggling with sorting out a car, we cannot solve the riddle. 2013 Toyota Auris with 1.4 diesel 1ND-TV engine. Sister's car. It all started when she called me and said - the panel lit up like a Christmas tree, the engine is not responding to accelerator pedal properly. It turned out that this only means that the computer threw the engine into limp mode and turned off the stabilization system (2 lights on the panel - Check Engine & TCS Off). I came with diagnostics (Launch x431), read the car - code P0524 - Oil pressure too low. I got scared. But, at the same time, the red oil pressure lamp on the panel does not light up. I checked the level - everything is fine. At this point I thought there is something tricky going on. I connected again to read the parameters, started the engine - the pressure shows at idle about 2 bar on cold, warms up - 1.3 bar. At rpm: 3 - 3.5 bar. By my standards, everything is in order. No matter how much I rode it, I could not reproduce the problem. I thought that is a one-time glitch - deleted the errors and forgot about it.

A week later it happened again. We connected a physical pressure gauge in parallel to the pressure sensor - the readings coincide with the pressure gauge - the sensor does not lie. It was just about time to change the oil, and, when changing, we took off the sump just in case and looked at the oil receiver - perfectly clean. We change the oil every 10 thousand km, before that we had Motul 8100 X-CLEAN EFE 5W30 filled in, this time we decided to fill in Motul SPECIFIC 2312 0W-30. Everything from the catalogues that Motul offer specifically for this engine.

A week later, the same story. I decided not think over it any longer and took it to our dealership in Riga. The first day she was taken for several hours and tortured - they did not find anything, but they read the frozen frame of the readings - they said that the error came up at the speed of 58 km / h,  pressure of 1.8 bar. They asked me to bring it for longer. The second time they tortured her all day, they said that they could not replicate the problem, the car passed all the tests, everything is in order. The only recommendation is to fill in the original Toyota oil (I will do this next time, but I doubt that it will help).

In short, now it already happens every day, and it would be okay if these were just errors, but the limp mode is very uncomfortable and dangerous - sometimes it is scary to turn to a high-speed road, because acceleration is almost like on a bicycle.

Today I recorded a log (attached to the post). The trip was as follows - I started the engine (cold start, we had +3°c), and slowly drove off. Three minutes later I got on the normal road and accelerated to about 60 km / h. The log is there for 300 frames, the frequency is, like, about 1 Hz, in the screenshot just the last 2 minutes approximately, you can see there how I switch the speeds during acceleration. The approximate period when the error came on and the engine went into limp mode is marked with red. Then I pulled over to the side of the road, stopped and turned off the recording. Another screenshot is with the error itself. I apologise for not providing a normal plot with all the values - I sat for an hour looking at the log file from Launch, and did not solve the riddle of how they arranged their log and how to properly dig out the information that I need, so the screenshot is just from the Launch itself.

So, actually, the question is - what the hell, gentlemen? Maybe someone has come across something similar?

errors.jpg

plots.jpg

Have you checked the electrical connections to the sensor and the harness? Could be it's loosing connection for a bit, so the ECU assumes it's faulty and triggers limp mode. Recheck the cables.

I tried searching on the link below, but weirdly that code does not exist in there.

https://corolla-club.ru/doc2/rm04f1ru/index2.html

13 hours ago, furtula said:

Have you checked the electrical connections to the sensor and the harness? Could be it's loosing connection for a bit, so the ECU assumes it's faulty and triggers limp mode. Recheck the cables.

I tried searching on the link below, but weirdly that code does not exist in there.

https://corolla-club.ru/doc2/rm04f1ru/index2.html

Hi Dean,

Thanks for your suggestion. The guys at Toyota dealership told me they checked the connections as well and they seem to be alright. I am thinking to replace the sensor just for the sake of it. I do understand that if it was faulty or disconnecting even for a second, it would not show continuous signal, we would see some issues at the signal curve. But it is damn alright. I had a chance to talk to the mechanic, who was looking at the car at Toyota, and one of his thoughts was that maybe ECU expects a certain pressure increase at certain RPM increase, and does not get it. But then again, they were running all the tests in there, and the engine responded totally fine. Maybe it is the ECU itself glitching? But then again, since we are looking at the reading from the ECU directly, it would not show okay signal when it thinks there is a fault... Maybe it is really the oil, maybe she wants a particular one and Motul catalogue is wrong... But I believe I checked all the specifications when buying it and it was a good match.

In terms of the error code, I looked at your link - yep, it does not find it. But a simple google search does the trick.

Kind regards,

Aleks

There is a possibility that the sensor has an intermittent fault, is the car smoking at all ? Is the oil getting diluted ? (thinning out)

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

There is a possibility that the sensor has an intermittent fault, is the car smoking at all ? Is the oil getting diluted ? (thinning out)

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. If it has an intermittent fault, why can't we see anything at the response curve? The car does not smoke at all. I am not sure how to check fuel in oil content, at the change oil looked alright, but that is a good point, I'll pay more attention to this. I guess need to keep an eye on the oil level and see if it magically increases.

Kind regards,

Aleks

I will have a look at service data for this code, what is the mileage on the car ?

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

I will have a look at service data for this code, what is the mileage on the car ?

Thanks, Bob. Mileage is 228800 km... that's about 142k miles

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Wow, that's a gem!!! Thank you very much for these. I will read them through today in the evening. Much appreciated!!!!

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Here you go

Aruis p0524.pdf 217.37 kB · 1 download

This contains relevant information

Aruis p0522.pdf 272.93 kB · 1 download

Where are you get all those fancy manuals, now that, the only decent source i know of, autocats.ws is long gone.

Unless you got some subscription?

• 11 months later...

Hello, you can share what was the problem, the current problem has already changed the sensor and the valve does not help, thanks in advance.toyota Yaris 2012 1.4d .p0524.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 1:40 PM, furtula said:

Where are you get all those fancy manuals, now that, the only decent source i know of, autocats.ws is long gone.

Unless you got some subscription?

Hi, gentleman

I have the same problem with my Yaris.

Are you solve the problem ?

Ico

Check the resistance of the oil pressure switch

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2021 at 1:40 PM, alexorsh said:

Wow, that's a gem!!! Thank you very much for these. I will read them through today in the evening. Much appreciated!!!!

Hi!

What caused low oil pressure fault then?

15 hours ago, motorka said:

Hi!

What caused low oil pressure fault then?

Something was broken

On 10/9/2023 at 9:47 PM, furtula said:

Something was broken

Can you explain? I have the same problem.

That was a joke... 

If you check their profiles, you can see they haven't been on the forum since they reported the issue.

Multiple things can cause low oil pressure, maybe check some of what was advised previously.

Did you check for codes?

Yes I checked but no codes logged... I checked with 2 different tools. Techstream shows no code.

If you want help with resolving the issue, then you need to describe it in greater detail We don't throw dead animal bones here to guess.

Could be bunch of issues triggering the code, it does not have to mean you will have the exact same thing.