Do Not Sell My Personal Information

hybrid pad & disc replacement

1.8 hybrid

does anyone have a guide on how to change the pads & discs on a Auris hybrid

on a non hybrid car i dont have any issues changing them i'm just not too sure

regarding a hybrid model.

Hi, it’s same as on non hybrid car however there is one very important step before you start with the change. You have to depressurised the system and disconnect the Battery before you carry any work on the brakes that involved removing the callipers.

Unlock the car , open the drivers door and leave it open you can hear the pump noise under bonnet pressuring the system , take the key away from the car and wait few minutes to hear the pump noise again the system has de pressurised, disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v Battery, place a towel over the rear hatch lock to prevent closing the boot door as its electric. Change all you need to change , pump the brake pedal 3 times before connecting back the Battery or after each side of new disc and pads been fitted., check brake fluid level, keep it at max level. All done. YouTube has plenty of videos to show you, search  for Prius as it’s more popular and it’s the same car. 
Good luck 👍

• Like 1

1. Make sure brake system is de pressurised 

2. Disconnect negative terminal of the 12v battery 

3. Change all parts and general service of the brakes

4. Press two-three times brake pedal

5. Check brake fluid is at max level 

6. Connect negative terminal to the 12v battery 

https://paulstravelpictures.com/Toyota-Prius-Rear-Disc-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/

https://paulstravelpictures.com/Toyota-Prius-Front-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/

thanks tony... i didnt want to have the pistons pushed out by the system

as you said very similar to a conventional system bar a couple of extra steps.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 1.8 hybrid said:

thanks tony... i didnt want to have the pistons pushed out by the system

as you said very similar to a conventional system bar a couple of extra steps.

You are welcome 👍

its a pity you cant purchase an OBD2 plug that has a jumper wire already fitted

to eliminate the chance of shorting the wrong pins

12 hours ago, 1.8 hybrid said:

its a pity you cant purchase an OBD2 plug that has a jumper wire already fitted

to eliminate the chance of shorting the wrong pins

Don’t need to to do that, I never like an idea to shorten the pins. 👍

Done my brakes 3 weeks ago felt the same worried if hybrid is the same as normal, I just took the locking wheel nut out of the car the night before I did the brakes. Then on the day do not I repeat do not open the drivers door and just did the discs and pads as normal no problems 

• 4 weeks later...

well i purchased a new set of disc's and pads and started to fit them this morning

only to find i'd been supplied the wrong brake pads so all back together now

i'll have to get the correct ones tomorrow.

good to have a dummy run though wont think twice about it now

Here is the result of lockdowns, salt and grit on motorways and occasional essential drive only. Disc, pads and wheel bearings all changed last February, brake service again in June, wheels swapped at the end of October. All now covered in rust, nasty stuff. Highly recommend to all hybrid owners, if your discs does not clean themselves in 60 miles driving they will probably never clean without taking everything apart and do it by hand . All sliders although lubricated were kind of hard to move. , so this is ultra important to be taken care of. 
Regards 👍

0412ECE1-0EEC-4F94-BE09-6849203027CE.jpeg

02B1FB5A-475F-480E-B564-A64D710208E6.jpeg

05E27ED7-7EB5-4D4C-8EBF-2F4EFE36ECC4.jpeg

• Thanks 1

i have the new brake pads so they will be getting fitted on sunday weather permitting.

i had the time and weather to change the front discs & pads today

its just like a regular disc & pad change except for disconnecting the

Battery, so there's no need to be wary like i was its so straight forward

thank-you for the advice i'd been given before starting the job

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 7:35 PM, TonyHSD said:

Here is the result of lockdowns, salt and grit on motorways and occasional essential drive only. Disc, pads and wheel bearings all changed last February, brake service again in June, wheels swapped at the end of October. All now covered in rust, nasty stuff. Highly recommend to all hybrid owners, if your discs does not clean themselves in 60 miles driving they will probably never clean without taking everything apart and do it by hand . All sliders although lubricated were kind of hard to move. , so this is ultra important to be taken care of. 
Regards 👍

0412ECE1-0EEC-4F94-BE09-6849203027CE.jpeg

02B1FB5A-475F-480E-B564-A64D710208E6.jpeg

05E27ED7-7EB5-4D4C-8EBF-2F4EFE36ECC4.jpeg

Everything looks normal and needs nothing.  Corroded disc is normal as long as it is still thick enough. It will be cleaned up once you drive in highway. The only things you need to check is the sliding pins and brake pads. They should slide smoothly and have enough pads. That's it. It is Toyota, not a luxury Ferrari that are parked on the showroom but cannot be driven more than 30k miles before it falls apart. 

• Like 1