Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2006 Aygo 1.0 tapping noise when accelerating

flembot

I know a lot of people talk about the "tapping noise" when starting from cold. But just yesterday my Aygo has started to have rather loud tapping noise (louder than I remember the tapping noises used to be). And this time this tapping noise does NOT go away when the engine gets warm. 

Its like a metal slapping sound. It happens when I accelerate (incl accelerating gently). It is the loudest the slower I am going and more quiet the faster I am. 

I had just had my Aygo serviced on the 9th February. So that's about two weeks ago. And it has been fine but as of yesterday this pretty loud noise has started. 

Its definitely coming from under the bonnet - maybe its the engine but I don't know. It sounds like its coming from a part that located where you add screen wash. I don't think its the timing belt (that was changed in 2014) but it sounds like a part close to that (I don't know the name of the part I'm just listening with my ear)

Any ideas?

Yes the oil level is fine 🙂 

The Toyota 1.0 litre engine used in the Aygo has a timing chain rather than belt. 

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Toyota 1.0 litre engine used in the Aygo has a timing chain rather than belt. 

It looks like a belt to me after looking under the bonnet. From memory I think my Dad changed it to a belt in 2014

The belt you can see is the auxiliary belt that drives the water pump, alternator (and aircon compressor if you have aircon) and has nothing to do with valve timing.

The timing chain is not visible without removing covers.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

It might help if you could upload a video or sound clip maybe?

lots of people say theirs has always rattled , if its recently had a service i would suggest theyve used a thinner oil than it had in it before hand , mine it much louder on 0w/20 or 5w/30....sounds almost normal on 10w/40....all those are approved grades of oil for that engine 

water pump wear and alternator siezing is also known of , if you have a diy helper maybe they can slip the aux belt and start it briefly to see if the nose goes away when those parts are eliminated

15 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

lots of people say theirs has always rattled , if its recently had a service i would suggest theyve used a thinner oil than it had in it before hand , mine it much louder on 0w/20 or 5w/30....sounds almost normal on 10w/40....all those are approved grades of oil for that engine 

It says “5w30 synth engine oil” on my invoice lol.

Strange that it’s only starting to sound like this now rather than as soon as I left the garage, no? 

My dad seems to think it could be an exhaust noise. I’m not so sure. 

4 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The belt you can see is the auxiliary belt that drives the water pump, alternator (and aircon compressor if you have aircon) and has nothing to do with valve timing.

The timing chain is not visible without removing covers.

Your right that must be what I’m seeing. 

2 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

It might help if you could upload a video or sound clip maybe?

I’ll try when I’m driving it later. 
it’s a bit windy in Belfast today but will try and see if my phone can pick up the noise without too much interference lol

20 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

water pump wear and alternator siezing is also known of , if you have a diy helper maybe they can slip the aux belt and start it briefly to see if the nose goes away when those parts are eliminated

Water pump was replaced in 2018. 
‘slip’ the aux belt?

11 minutes ago, flembot said:

‘slip’ the aux belt?

Temporarily take it off to see if the noise is from water pump or alternator (or aircon compressor) 😊

3 years on a water pump means nothing , some fail in no time , theres some shocking quality parts sold these days 

if you feel the garage is trustworthy pop back and ask them , might be very obvious to a mechanic vs internet folk guessing at stuff

4 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

0w/20 or 5w/30

0W-20 oil is for Feb 2009 Aygos onwards which had the Optimal Drive improvements. Cars built before Feb 2009 have 5W-30 as the preferred oil.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

0W-20 oil is for Feb 2009 Aygos onwards which had the Optimal Drive improvements. Cars built before Feb 2009 have 5W-30 as the preferred oil.

And the latest Aygos have 0W-16 oil Engine oil: What oil for my Toyota?

Got it sorted! 
Took it to the mechanic on Saturday. They said it was a leaking manifold . I took it in yesterday and they replaced the Manifold inc Cat 

but they also replaced the o2 sensor and exhaust gasket. 

PROBLEM SOLVED! Car sounds great now. And I can now sit idle with the fan on because before I had to turn the fan off when the car wasn’t moving otherwise i could smell fumes. 

One last thing has cropped up just today. The yellow engine light is now showing on my dash. Perhaps the o2 sensor isn’t quite right? 

7 minutes ago, flembot said:

.PROBLEM SOLVED! Car sounds great now. And I can now sit idle with the fan on because before I had to turn the fan off when the car wasn’t moving otherwise i could smell fumes. 

That’s the first time you mentioned this. Maybe if you mentioned it in your original post you would have been sorted earlier.

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

That’s the first time you mentioned this. Maybe if you mentioned it in your original post you would have been sorted earlier.

Your right Catlover but I have tolerated that issue for so long , that the new issue with the noise I didn’t quite connect the two of those in my mind. 

Anyhow , any guesses on the engine light?

no point guessing on a engine light , a scanner will be use to pin point it

if its sinse the repair work then possibly releated to the work /new parts ...but anyones guess

id take it back and ask them

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

no point guessing on a engine light , a scanner will be use to pin point it

if its sinse the repair work then possibly releated to the work /new parts ...but anyones guess

id take it back and ask them

Definitely. If they've just changed some engine/exhaust parts and there's now an engine light that wasn't there before the work, then the only thing to do is to take it back and ask them to have a look. A decent garage should be happy to.

I have seen a brand new cat working so bad that the engine light came on with a pollution error.. No name brand from eBay.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:10 PM, flembot said:

Got it sorted! 
Took it to the mechanic on Saturday. They said it was a leaking manifold . I took it in yesterday and they replaced the Manifold inc Cat 

but they also replaced the o2 sensor and exhaust gasket. 

Can I be cheeky and ask you how much that lot cost all in?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 5:50 PM, fordulike said:

Can I be cheeky and ask you how much that lot cost all in?

£378

• Like 1