Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just a thought, in regards to replacing bits and bobs

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All,

Considering that my 2008 Aygo is almost 13 years old! I was wondering while I still have her, and i know the motto is if its not broke dont fix, but are there any parts that may need attention by now, e.g, suspension bushes, springs, drop links, cv's,  tie rod ends, brake hoses etc etc.

Just a thought really

Hi, better don’t replace anything if it’s not broken. Only regular inspection and if any signs of wear and tear then replace but you going to feel the car changes behaviour., noise, grinding rattling. Old doesn’t necessarily mean broken 😊 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, better don’t replace anything if it’s not broken. Only regular inspection and if any signs of wear and tear then replace but you going to feel the car changes behaviour., noise, grinding rattling. Old doesn’t necessarily mean broken 😊 

As the old saying says "ain't broke, don't fix it!".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

As the old saying says "ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Lol. Expected those comments

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I like that...old doesn't necessarily mean broken!

I just thought 12 years plus...and its still on the road! I think its the oldest car we've ever had.

As another saying goes...old is gold!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

I like that...old doesn't necessarily mean broken!

I just thought 12 years plus...and its still on the road! I think its the oldest car we've ever had.

As another saying goes...old is gold!

When I part ex'd my C1 in October it was over 12 years old and the only thing other than normal servicing (and curing water leaks!) it had needed was a new clutch back in 2012.

7 hours ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Hi All,

Considering that my 2008 Aygo is almost 13 years old! I was wondering while I still have her, and i know the motto is if its not broke dont fix, but are there any parts that may need attention by now, e.g, suspension bushes, springs, drop links, cv's,  tie rod ends, brake hoses etc etc.

Just a thought really

Sam I once had a Vauxhall Astra from new, that needed an offside track rod end at 30,000 miles, and in later years I had another Astra from new and had 80,000 miles on it and required nothing replaced, except tyres, so you cannot second guess what you might need.

Hi Sam,

If any of those parts you mention need replacing your MOT tester will soon let you know if they are worn, plus when driving you will probably hear them knocking if they are in any way worn or damaged, so feel sure they are currently in good order.

All you need do is keep on top of the standard service items, not forgetting brake fuild change ( now a mot checkpoint) and gearbox oil  etc.

Your Aygo is nearly as old as our Rolla,  so what are you thinking of getting next ?   would probably go for a late model Auris, just do not like the external look of the new Rolla, too much like the Nissan Jukes beetle shape.

Our 107 is similar age and that is still very good mechanically and body, it doesn't do much mileage wise, but agree with comments keep an eye on things and follow up any MOT advisories, served us well with 2 old Fords which lasted 25 years+ with regular servicing and  replace as and when and those 2 got sold as MOT roadworthy cars so lived another day, even the dreaded rust didn't kill them.

But we've had the down side, thanks to British Leyland!, an original Mini that was practically rebuilt, new engine, rusted like a colinder, brakes, etc, etc, but my sister loved it!, not so my Dad!!! all in 8 years, so its swings and roundabouts.