Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing Timing belt tensioner

Haitham Mohamed

i have Toyota Avensis 2008 T25 (3ZZ-FE 1.6L),i'm planning to change timing chain tension because it's leaking and i know i can change only the o-ring but i will change the tensioner for prevent maintenance and i saw youtube video for the procedure and after the installation they crank the engine clockwise ONLY while i checked on the service manual says crank the engine counterclockwise like for few degrees at least 10 degree and then turn it over clockwise so i don't know what to do, do like the manual says or just crack it clockwise and it will release itself.

please anyone replaced this tension tell me what to do

1423776968_ScreenShot2021-02-23at2_36_48PM.thumb.png.54df4dcf3e8bcbd68809e3b634c0da3f.png

Not quite sure what is leaking exactly. If you intend to replace tensioner and chain it's not a simple DIY job.

57 minutes ago, jimtaxi said:

Not quite sure what is leaking exactly. If you intend to replace tensioner and chain it's not a simple DIY job.

i will only change the tensioner

You don't have to change the tensioner just for the leak, you can take it out and reseal it with a good seal like gasket maker. If you want to change it because of the age, then just replace the tensioner (together with o-ring or a gasket, whatever it came with) and crank the engine clockwise. You will hear a metallic sound when the little piston is released from the hook. Turn another circle to make sure. I did it like that on my car with the same engine as yours. If you are not sure how to do it watch this video, it explains everything in detail, I followed it and it was easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBIjn4QZCpY&list=PLLGWnXqXktclSvi3EEQyPe65g1JwXvO-U&index=34

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Goran3456 said:

Adding to Goran's reply, I checked the Haynes manual for the Mk1 T22 facelift using the same engine. It covers the tensioner and turning the crank anti clockwise releases the hook from the plunger, setting the tension. There will be a click, so listen out for it. Then turn the crank clockwise.  Go to 11:45 of the video Goran refers to - 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Adding to Goran's reply, I checked the Haynes manual for the Mk1 T22 facelift using the same engine. It covers the tensioner and turning the crank anti clockwise releases the hook from the plunger, setting the tension. There will be a click, so listen out for it. Then turn the crank clockwise.  Go to 11:45 of the video Goran refers to - 

yeah i also see in the factory manual says that if the plunger is not released from the hook i can use the slipper to push on the plunger to release it, just i will turn the engine clockwise if this doesn't release the tensioner, i will do a little be anti clockwise and clockwise and for the anti clockwise turn i will use the crack pully notch with degrees markings on the timing chain cover there is three marks on the timing belt cover "0,|,10" i will align the notch between 0 and 10 and then turn it clockwise after all of that i will check for the timing by setting the crank pully notch at DTC which is 0 mark on the timing chain cover and see the sprokets of the intake and exhaust aligning up or not but it'll be fine just checking doesn't hurt before startup and i know for this checking needs to remove the valve cover i will change the gasket anyway because it's leaking too