Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dim headlights

J.P.

Hi, just acquired a 2014 mk2 Aygo, very pleased with it apart from the headlights.

they are not very good at night and the high beam is totally useless, glass is clear and they look bright when you look at them, so would a change to better bulbs cure this and is it a common problem?

thanks in advance JP

The second generation Aygo uses HIR2 single filament headlight bulbs for both main and dipped beam. There are upgrade halogen bulbs available, but most will have a shorter life - eg Toyota Optiwhites, PIAA, Elta, etc.

Many thanks for the quick reply, do you know if this is a common problem? They do seem bad

Just double check that the headlight aim adjustment switch isn't on the wrong setting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fordulike said:

Just double check that the headlight aim adjustment switch isn't on the wrong setting.

No, all is good there

Its all down to personal preference - some have stayed with the standard bulbs, some have upgraded.

Is there any mk2 owners on here who have any views on this?

Due to lockdown I haven't been out in the dark since I got my 2020 Aygo at the end of October 2020, so interested in other owners comments too.

Lights may need to be adjusted on Headlight beam setter if anything else looks good but the lights does not provide enough light ahead, usually garages that does MOT have one of these things so they can do it , or you can do it yourself if you google it, at least to check if all looks correct. 👍 

I replaced the headlight bulbs in our Aygo with Toyota Optiwhites (made by Philips) about three years or so ago and found they were a worthwhile improvement. They are expensive.

PIAA and Elta are cheaper, and there may now be other makes available.

Just be wary of the performance claims on upgrade bulbs. Standard HIR2 bulbs are supposed to be around 70% brighter than non HIR2 bulbs, and some claims for the upgrade bulbs are against non HIR2 bulbs. Also the brighter the bulb, the shorter the life.

Easy to change on the second generation Aygo.

i think the general consensus on toyota projector lights that use hir2 bulbs is that they are a bit rubbish.

I have them on my auris, and I would agree

I've ordered some Philips X-treme Vision Pro150 HIR2 bulbs from ABD, but haven't had chance to fit them yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased some LED ones off eBay and I must say they work fantastic with the aygo headlights (I have the 2015 pre facelift model). Think they cost around £40 but the best purchase I have made for my car, they look very identical to xenons and are very bright!

3 hours ago, TescoExpress said:

I purchased some LED ones off eBay and I must say they work fantastic with the aygo headlights (I have the 2015 pre facelift model). Think they cost around £40 but the best purchase I have made for my car, they look very identical to xenons and are very bright!

Sounds good, have got a link please?

4 hours ago, TescoExpress said:

Is it these type, and do they require any modifications to fit?

Toyota Aygo LED Headlight Bulbs H4

39 minutes ago, J.P. said:

No, you need hir2

+1

H4 for the Mk1 Aygo, but HIR2 for the Mk2 Aygo

BTW check whether LEDs (or HIDs) will pass an MOT test - unless the headlamps themselves are marked as being Type Approved for those types of bulbs a diligent MOT tester will fail them until Halogen bulbs are fitted.

• Like 1

I have had the Optiwhites but don’t last more than a year and expensive 

Katur bulbs from Amazon in the wife's 

Very good light not stupidly dazzling 

Stuck it on the mot beam setter at work and it's a perfect spread of light with correct beam pattern as it is controlled by the de module 

The difference is night and day 

Did the connections fit ok, they don’t get that good reviews 

4 hours ago, Malcster said:

Katur bulbs from Amazon in the wife's

Which ones did you get - 10000LM, 12000LM or 16000LM?

When I brought my car, first thing I noticed when going to work in the morning the lights were terrible, so read on here people were trying this and that different bulbs, still not impressed by what \ had brought. I ended up buying HID's best thing I have ever done for £68, people go on about if you have HID's it  will fail the MOT, well mine hasn't failed. don't waste money on bulbs. Buy HID's and never look back, 

On 2/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, J.P. said:

Is there any mk2 owners on here who have any views on this?

I had a 2017 mk2 Aygo and the headlights were okay for me. I think my 2020 Aygo I got last year has better headlights since the 2018 facelift.

14 hours ago, simon p said:

When I brought my car, first thing I noticed when going to work in the morning the lights were terrible, so read on here people were trying this and that different bulbs, still not impressed by what \ had brought. I ended up buying HID's best thing I have ever done for £68, people go on about if you have HID's it  will fail the MOT, well mine hasn't failed. don't waste money on bulbs. Buy HID's and never look back, 

The MOT rules were changed a couple of years ago and any fitment of HIDs to headlamps that are not Type Approved for them (which those on both Mk1 & Mk2 Aygos are NOT) is an MOT failure. Any MOT tester who does not fail an Aygo fitted with HIDs is not doing their job properly.

I had HIDs fitted to my Mk1 for nearly 10 years until it was failed in 2020 for having HIDs - so I had to take them out to get it past the MOT.

8 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

The MOT rules were changed a couple of years ago and any fitment of HIDs to headlamps that are not Type Approved for them (which those on both Mk1 & Mk2 Aygos are NOT) is an MOT failure. Any MOT tester who does not fail an Aygo fitted with HIDs is not doing their job properly.

I had HIDs fitted to my Mk1 for nearly 10 years until it was failed in 2020 for having HIDs - so I had to take them out to get it past the MOT.

Thank you for that little bit of information, I will remind the Toyota garage next time I get an MOT.