Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does yours whine ?

scar

This question is about the latest version of the Hybrid Yaris.

Under certain conditions the car makes a high pitched whine, not all that loud but noticeable. It occurs when being driven and the energy display on the centre screen shows power going from the engine to the Battery and wheels. It disappears immediately if the car goes to EV mode.

My wife who has normal hearing can hear it. I wear hearing aids and it sounds like feed back in my ears. The source of the noise would seem to be the dash area. The radio and other audio functions were off at the times of hearing the noise.

Is the car supposed to produce this noise under the conditions I have mentioned or is it a fault.

Thanks in anticipation 

That is not normal behaviour at all. I would suggest getting it to your Toyota main dealer for investigation.

Does your Rav4 hybrid make a similar noise in similar situations?   If not you may conclude a professional ear may be a wise move.

Points duly noted. My RAV4 doesn't exhibit the same trait so I expect it to be a fault. Off to the dealers then. Will report back.

Whining noises to some extent are typical for hybrid vehicles, if you had a side window just a tiny bit left open and you will start hearing those whinings., make sure all windows are properly closed and test again. Display shows power going from engine to Battery, this means regenerative braking it’s engaging and you can hear the whining from motor generator. If in doubt, best to visit dealer and compare with another Yaris just to make sure nothing is wrong. 👍

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Whining noises to some extent are typical for hybrid vehicles, if you had a side window just a tiny bit left open and you will start hearing those whinings., make sure all windows are properly closed and test again. Display shows power going from engine to battery, this means regenerative braking it’s engaging and you can hear the whining from motor generator. If in doubt, best to visit dealer and compare with another Yaris just to make sure nothing is wrong. 👍

Have spoken with the dealer and await their response. Just to make it clear the noise is most certainly associated with the way the power is being routed from the engine.

it’s not a wind noise. Immediately the EV mode is selected by the engine the noise stops. The closest analogy I can make is it’s like a transformer hum but at a high frequency. Bit like the hum of an eddy current on grid step down transformer.

I was told it may be a dash rattle, loose wire ? Something in the glove box.  I have owned a few fiat’s (3 from new) I well know what dash board noises are. 

The dealer said you cannot make comparisons between the RAV and Yaris different set up. I’m going to set a dash cam up focused on the centre dash info display. Whilst the picture will be ok I hope the mic pics up the noise produced.

I can almost guarantee that a dealer road test will not produce the noise I’m hearing. It’s Sod’s law. 

• Thanks 1

Mine whistles quite a bit.

It makes a very "electrical" noise when parked  in "Ready" mode with the Bonnet open.

I'm a real worrier so have decided to ignore all the noises, i've never had a hybrid before, so i just say to myself "It's supposed to do that".

All Toyota hybrids make those whining noise when slowing down, in some models can be more prominent due to the difference in car size, insulation, interior materials etc, the reason I pointed towards the windows is because all noises are coming from the engine bay and can be heard easier outside the car, if one of the side windows is left partially open you can hear whining a lot more.  We have 2 exact same cars, one you can hear a lot more whining because the windscreen was replaced and obviously wasn’t done the great job, and the car with oem windscreen is much quieter. Best to compare with exactly the same model for reference. 
 For the electrical noise that comes present with bonnet open again typical Toyota hybrid noise, nothing to worry about, it’s the inverter-converter and or the AC compressor, both high voltage components. Air conditioning compressor does it too, especially in hot days over 25C° became a lot noisier. Smaller cars usually are not as good sound proofed as large ones. RAV4 can only be compared with Camry IMO. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

All Toyota hybrids make those whining noise when slowing down, in some models can be more prominent due to the difference in car size, insulation, interior materials etc, the reason I pointed towards the windows is because all noises are coming from the engine bay and can be heard easier outside the car, if one of the side windows is left partially open you can hear whining a lot more.  We have 2 exact same cars, one you can hear a lot more whining because the windscreen was replaced and obviously wasn’t done the great job, and the car with oem windscreen is much quieter. Best to compare with exactly the same model for reference. 
 For the electrical noise that comes present with bonnet open again typical Toyota hybrid noise, nothing to worry about, it’s the inverter-converter and or the AC compressor, both high voltage components. Air conditioning compressor does it too, especially in hot days over 25C° became a lot noisier. Smaller cars usually are not as good sound proofed as large ones. RAV4 can only be compared with Camry IMO. 

I managed to get some video of the issue for the benefit of myself and the dealer. The recording was made on my phone (my wife did it). Just to make it clear the noise is made when a steady speed is held. I picked 30 mph with cruise engaged, the engine providing drive to the wheels and energy to the Battery. These conditions produce the noise. Not every time but most times. 

The audio quality was my main aim. Thats why I did 30mph so road noise didn't swamp the phones mic. I would have gone down to 20mph for even better audio but the local traffic stopped that idea.

In my college days I became infamous for having made a chip sing before it died a glorious death. We had a circuit to design and manufacture, well my chip suffered over voltage ( my fault ) and produced a high frequency tone that modulated up till the chip burnt out. At its death I was surrounded by the class who wanted to know how I turned a amplifier circuit into a such a useless piece of black burnt carbon.

My wife's car makes a similar noise at a stable frequency. Thats why I think its a fault. 

The garage have been mailed to inform them of the video but they haven't got back to me yet.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, scar said:

I managed to get some video of the issue for the benefit of myself and the dealer. The recording was made on my phone (my wife did it). Just to make it clear the noise is made when a steady speed is held. I picked 30 mph with cruise engaged, the engine providing drive to the wheels and energy to the battery. These conditions produce the noise. Not every time but most times. 

The audio quality was my main aim. Thats why I did 30mph so road noise didn't swamp the phones mic. I would have gone down to 20mph for even better audio but the local traffic stopped that idea.

In my college days I became infamous for having made a chip sing before it died a glorious death. We had a circuit to design and manufacture, well my chip suffered over voltage ( my fault ) and produced a high frequency tone that modulated up till the chip burnt out. At its death I was surrounded by the class who wanted to know how I turned a amplifier circuit into a such a useless piece of black burnt carbon.

My wife's car makes a similar noise at a stable frequency. Thats why I think its a fault. 

The garage have been mailed to inform them of the video but they haven't got back to me yet.

Interesting, will wait to see what dealers says. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Update on this issue.

The service manager and myself have agreed that the best option would be for me to drive and for a technician to accompany me. That way I could ensure that the noise heard was indeed the one I was concerned about. With the covid restrictions this isn't possible and we agreed to wait till accompanied test drives were possible.

It now seems the vehicle has decided not to make the noise. So I shall leave it till the service dept get back in touch with me. Hopefully it will never happen again.

Foot note.

The Yaris has been through its first winter. The mpg dropped slowly as did the temp and reached a indicated low of 62.2 mpg. As temps improve with the approach of spring the mpg has started to climb. Presently standing at 62.5 mpg. Lets hope it returns to the high 60's

My RAV4 saw similar fluctuations and has got its self a low of 44.2mpg hopefully that will start to improve.

Still happy with both vehicles. Wish that lane departure could be turned off and left off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A point worth noting is that the new Yaris has an audable warning device that operates up to approx 16mph to warn pedestrians of the vehicles presence and proximity (referred to in the manual).  It can be heard if you move slowly with the front pass window down and could be described as an electrical whining noise. Our previous car 2019 Corolla Excel 2.0 Pano did not have the device but from the amount of rattles, creaks and squeaks probably did not need it!  

The Acoustic Vehicle Alert System became compulsory on new hybrids/EVs with Type Approval after July 2019. Should operate when a vehicle is travelling in electric mode up to speeds of 20kph. It will be compulsory on all new hybrids/EV vehicles after July 2021. 

Your 2019 Corolla's Type Approval pre-dated the legislation, whereas your Yaris's Type Approval would have been after July 2019.

The OP has stated their car doesn't whine when in EV mode - so depending what speed the car is travelling at, it may not be the AVAS.

My RAV4 makes a funny noise when running on Battery alone. Only audible inside and sounds like a police siren (very low level). I got use to it and do not even notice it any more, but passengers sometimes start looking for that phantom policy car.

All Toyota hybrids and al Ev’s has similar whining noise from the e motors, even e scooters has it too. Very often when walking about  I can pick that sound behind and thinking Prius is coming, when turn around ops it’s a scooter 😂👍 Another interesting vehicles with similar but very loud noises were milk delivery e vans 10 or more years ago in Nw London. They were making that sounds like a cow in the field 🐂, was thinking whether is coming from the e motor or is part of some AVAS , like the ice cream vans with music 👌

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. Still awaiting a suitable time to make an appointment.

As for the pedestrian audible warning device. As I have a RAV4 hybrid I know what that sounds like and know where the device that produces the sound is located. In fact there is You tube videos showing how to dampen the noise level sound anyone wish to do so.

For those that have suggested this as a cause of my issue my reply is not a chance.

The sound source is from the Media display area and you can only produce it at certain times. 

Will update again when something positive happens.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

YES! Mine does exactly this! Thought I was going daft as my other husband says he can't hear it (bad hearing!) but it occurs exactly as you have described.

Can I ask, have you managed to resolve it?

I think I heard this on a test drive. I'm not bothered by it (in fact, I like the noises it makes). It does pierce the cabin a little, but it seems to be the inverter that is the source of the sound. Once you've got the air con on and some music it all but disappears.

I couldn't hear the EV pedestrian system from inside.

24 minutes ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I've struggled to hear it but, even at 20 km/h in EV mode pedestrians turn around when I approach.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stopeter44 said:

I've struggled to hear it but, even at 20 km/h in EV mode pedestrians turn around when I approach.

I've listened to it from outside and it is very audible there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I've listened to it from outside and it is very audible there.

Your car shows my 2015, this early models does not have pedestrians warning sound. 👍

On 3/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

I think I heard this on a test drive. I'm not bothered by it (in fact, I like the noises it makes). It does pierce the cabin a little, but it seems to be the inverter that is the source of the sound. Once you've got the air con on and some music it all but disappears.

🤔 Mine’s going into the dealership for a service in a couple of weeks so I’ll see what they say about it and ask if it could be the inverter.

It’s not an alarm or part of a warning system. As scar says in his post, it sounds like feedback in a hearing aid - that high pitched frequency and unfortunately once you’ve heard it, you listen for it, or at least I do 🤦‍♀️

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

my Yaris Hybrid 2021 did exactly the same sound. While accelerating with the combustion engine activated it would do that high pitch sound, but only sometimes. 

I drove the car for 30 mins with the dealer seating in the car so he could hear it, but the car didn't make that sound. So the dealer told me to keep monitoring the sound and if it didn't go away to call him back. 

Now it's 1,5 months later. The high pitched sound is gone, but it was substituted by a stronger sort of rattling sound also coming from the engine, I believe. The sound appears under the exact same situation: accelerating with combustion engine active. 
I called the dealer again. The car is going back to the dealer and will stay there as long as it takes for them to listen to it and solve the problem. 

If they aren't able to solve it or if they say it is normal, I will sell the car. The problems I've had with the Yaris Hybris 2021 make me miss my former Aygo that just drove without any issues for over 13 years.

You're going to return a perfectly working car because it makes noises you're not used to?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, poiniop said:

Now it's 1,5 months later. The high pitched sound is gone, but it was substituted by a stronger sort of rattling sound also coming from the engine, I believe. The sound appears under the exact same situation: accelerating with combustion engine active. 

Is it the sound of Direct Injection coming into play?