Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ABS and Battery warning lights

Jackaboy

My Toyota Yaris GS VVT-I 2002 has had the ABS and Battery warning lights come on. I have been checking fuses, checking wires for damage and checking the Battery as a whole for any sign of damage. I may also use the baking soda and water solution trick on the top of the Battery with a toothbrush as it does look a bit corroded. Are there any other things I should be doing for either of the possible problems for cars in general or specific tricks for the Yaris to amend/tick boxes of what is not the problem? For a while now my car battery has been going dead after a few days of not using it, I thought maybe the cold weather was having a effect on it. But now I'm thinking it could be connected. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

18 minutes ago, Jackaboy said:

My Toyota Yaris GS VVT-I 2002 has had the ABS and battery warning lights come on. I have been checking fuses, checking wires for damage and checking the battery as a whole for any sign of damage. I may also use the baking soda and water solution trick on the top of the battery with a toothbrush as it does look a bit corroded. Are there any other things I should be doing for either of the possible problems for cars in general or specific tricks for the Yaris to amend/tick boxes of what is not the problem? For a while now my car battery has been going dead after a few days of not using it, I thought maybe the cold weather was having a effect on it. But now I'm thinking it could be connected. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Lots of questions pop up re your problem Battery. Age of Battery ? Is it getting charged properly ie is the alternator working correctly ?. Are the connections on the poles clean and tight ?. An aging Battery in a weakened condition will definitely be seriously affected by the cold weather.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 6:45 PM, Bernard Foy said:

Lots of questions pop up re your problem battery. Age of battery ? Is it getting charged properly ie is the alternator working correctly ?. Are the connections on the poles clean and tight ?. An aging battery in a weakened condition will definitely be seriously affected by the cold weather.

Looking at the history, I am not sure how old exactly the Battery is, but I do believe it is quite old. The alternator does seem to be working properly, no strange noises. The connections are tight and clean yes. And yeah it has not been doing very well recently.

6 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Check battery voltage.

Under 12.4V? Battery dying.

Check battery connections.

Check all earth leads- retighten..

Will do. Thanks. I don't have a voltage meter, I will ask around.

16 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

Halfords will do a free battery test. And will try to sell you a (very) expensive battery

yeah thanks, taking her to a family friend mechanic