Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UK E10 petrol introduction date.

Department of Transport has confirmed that E10 unleaded petrol will be introduced in the UK from September 2021.

Super unleaded will continue to be E5.

Toyota Europe information on which cars cannot use E10 is as follows:

Toyota; Avensis 2,0 L (1AZ-FSE) made between July 2000 and October 2008;  Avensis 2,4 L (2AZ-FSE) made between June 2003 and October 2008.

Lexus; IS250 2,5 L V6 made between August 2005 and September 2007; GS300 3,0 L V6 made between January 2005 and September 2007; LS460 4,6 L V8 made between August 2006 and September 2007.

All vehicles mentioned above that are not compatible with E10 can however use E5 (5% bioethanol).

I’ve always used super unleaded or Shell v power in both the auris which I had for 5 years and the new corolla as it contains extra detergents not to worried about the extra costs as I only do 4000 miles a year or less.

• 1 month later...

The thing that worries me is that the margin of safety in terms of the max ethanol has reduced. Please bear with me and I will explain.

Before the introduction of E10, maximum 5% ethanol was allowed. As post-2011 cars can accept up to 10% ethanol there was therefore a margin of safety of 5% (5+5).

However I note now that there is no margin of safety as the ethanol mixture is maxed out at 10% and 10% is the maximum post-2011 cars can accept.

Why do I raise this issue? Because what if there has been an error in terms of ethanol mixture/amount at the local crude refinery? If so anything above 10% (even a small amount) could lead to catastrophic vehicle damage.

I hope someone can chime in here and clear my worries up.

Think there would need to be longish term exposure before you see evidence of damage.

Super unleaded will remain at E5. To counter any concerns you have, you could fill up when you get to half a tank and use super unleaded every other fill - so you should always have a mixture of E5 and E10 (or less than 10% ethanol) in your car.