Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

UK E10 petrol introduction date.

FROSTYBALLS

On 2/25/2021 at 1:49 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Department of Transport has confirmed that E10 unleaded petrol will be introduced in the UK from September 2021.

Super unleaded will continue to be E5.

Toyota Europe information on which cars cannot use E10 is as follows:

Toyota; Avensis 2,0 L (1AZ-FSE) made between July 2000 and October 2008;  Avensis 2,4 L (2AZ-FSE) made between June 2003 and October 2008.

Lexus; IS250 2,5 L V6 made between August 2005 and September 2007; GS300 3,0 L V6 made between January 2005 and September 2007; LS460 4,6 L V8 made between August 2006 and September 2007.

All vehicles mentioned above that are not compatible with E10 can however use E5 (5% bioethanol).

Saw it in Sainsbury’s today. Way before September. 

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Did you manage to get your Mk2 gearbox and AC sorted on an extended warranty ???

I scrapped it for the Mk4.

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Well, in theory! The terms of the Relax warranty offer a lot more get-outs for the dealer than the Extended Warranties...! It'll be interesting to see how easy it is for people to claim on it... I hope we get people here, esp. with older cars, posting their experiences!

I'm sure the gearbox and AC system on the awful Mk2 I had would have been exempted somehow despite being prime warranty candidates!

One thing that is 'cool' about new builds is a lot of them seem to be getting solar panels and heat pumps as standard - A friend recently moved into one and, build quality and leasehold BS aside, he's loving the drop in his electricity bill compared to his old place! He is missing the gas tho' - Apparently you can't cook chinese food properly with a wok without a gas stove! :laugh:

Well I would be one to post my experiences but I am not sure if I will take the RELAX scheme up considering as you stated the amount of opt-outs. Don't know why TOYOTA bothered putting out the press releases. 

Can you explain what was wrong with the house build-quality? I have heard so many horror stories that it just simply put me off. House prices relative to earnings are way out of order in this country and then on top you get ridiculous service and build quality plus rubbish scams put onto you such as leasehold/shared ownership etc etc. It makes one furious. And then you see the major housebuilders giving massive dividends out, CEO salaries and share price appreciation. It makes you sick, utterly sick. People can see the mental health crisis in this country; is it any wonder when the young generation know the system has been stacked against them?

Heat pump has its advantages but also its disadvantages. I could not live without gas cooking for sure. What of the replacement costs regarding heat pumps? Sounds a complex piece of kit that is under-ground so major hassle and cost involved. Like I said due to climate issues a lot of change will happen and both cost and disruption will be put onto the end-users.

Well the Relax thing is just a nice bonus, even if it isn't as comprehensive as the normal warranty - If you're servicing it at Toyota anyway then you get it for free as they haven't put the servicing prices up AFAIK.

TBH I think it's a nice way to sweeten the pot, esp. as the discounted dealer servicing prices for older cars has been discontinued. Might be handy for people with older cars if the E10 causes more problems than they anticipate, although not sure if that would be covered. I figure it should be if they say the car can run on E10, but if it's up to the dealer to decide then who knows?

The house stuff is well off-topic even for me, and we're already super off-topic; I don't want to annoy Frosty so soon when I've only just come back after a long hiatus :laugh: 

On 6/28/2021 at 10:05 PM, Cyker said:

Well the Relax thing is just a nice bonus, even if it isn't as comprehensive as the normal warranty - If you're servicing it at Toyota anyway then you get it for free as they haven't put the servicing prices up AFAIK.

TBH I think it's a nice way to sweeten the pot, esp. as the discounted dealer servicing prices for older cars has been discontinued. Might be handy for people with older cars if the E10 causes more problems than they anticipate, although not sure if that would be covered. I figure it should be if they say the car can run on E10, but if it's up to the dealer to decide then who knows?

The house stuff is well off-topic even for me, and we're already super off-topic; I don't want to annoy Frosty so soon when I've only just come back after a long hiatus :laugh: 

I think the servicing has gone up. In 2018 my full service cost £200. In 2020 a full service cost £250. Maybe the latter figure is off a little because other work was carried out at this service (replacing front brakes and pads on both front wheels) so I am not sure if I am subtracting the figure down correctly to the service 'only' price. But roughly a 25% increase in price within two years. I don't think inflation can account for that.

Surely the transmission is covered under the RELAX warranty?

I have been thinking today (a lot) that it might be best to do less than 1000 miles a year, just do the MOT and the Visual Health report and park the car in the garage. I am going through some service items that I could do for myself and see where savings could potentially take place. I do worry service prices will increase again and I don't think it is worth spending this much money if I am not going to be driving it much. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went to refuel the car ready for the trip to Goodwood (Seriously, is nobody from here going?? :crybaby:) just now at my local supermarket, and noticed all the pumps have already switched to E10!!

So much for September!

But wasn't E10 supposed to be slightly cheaper?? Last two fillups were 124.9 and 126.9 - This was 129.9!!

Fuel companies are required by Government to label their pumps with the new E10 labels by 1st September, which doesn't mean that E10 will be on sale before September.

I can't imagine they'd do that tho' - There are very specific laws about false advertising they would be exposing themselves to if they did!

They don't have any choice - Government require them to relabel the pumps by September 1st and this is in preparation for E10 going on sale from September. The fact that your petrol wasn't cheaper is an indication you have bought E5.

Is the price really a sure-fire indication tho'? I bet when E10 is officially introduced the cost will probably not change or even go up again, even tho' it is supposed to be cheaper!

I'll have to ask the cashier next time I'm there whether it is or not... or maybe contact Sainsburys somehow but I bet they don't make that easy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 11:11 PM, Cyker said:

noticed all the pumps have already switched to E10

Filled up yesterday. The E10 labels state the petrol contains 'up to 10% ethanol', which doesn't mean that the petrol currently being sold is actually E10 (which is being introduced September).

image.png.d34f1650b939f180e01922ab4119f55a.png

E5 contains UP TO 5% bioethanol. E10 contains UP TO 10% and that is the way it will stay, even after September. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to fill up at local garage and all their super grade pumps were locked off.

A bit naughty I thought.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:55 AM, Stivino said:

E5 contains UP TO 5% bioethanol. E10 contains UP TO 10% and that is the way it will stay, even after September. 

Is it up to or a minimum, curious.

1 hour ago, c90 said:

Went to fill up at local garage and all their super grade pumps were locked off.

A bit naughty I thought.

E10 isn't on sale until September. Although signage on pumps is changing for the introduction of E10, standard unleaded is still currently E5.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

E10 isn't on sale until September. Although signage on pumps is changing for the introduction of E10, standard unleaded is still currently E5.

Not true. Sainsbury’s in Thurrock has been selling it for about a month

• Like 1

Government's official launch date for E10 is 1st September. Fuel companies are required to re-label fuel pumps with E10 labels before this date. So unless Sainsburys have actually confirmed to you that they are selling E10 before the 1st Sept, their pumps will probably have been re-labelled in advance, and the petrol will currently still be E5 before the switch occurs in September.

The new labels state that petrol is 'up to E10' - worded in a similar way to the E5 labels, which  state 'up to E5'. This doesn't necessarily mean the petrol in the pump is E10.

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Government's official launch date for E10 is 1st September. Fuel companies are required to re-label fuel pumps with E10 labels before this date. So unless Sainsburys have actually confirmed to you that they are selling E10 before the 1st Sept, their pumps will probably have been re-labelled in advance, and the petrol will currently still be E5 before the switch occurs in September.

The new labels state that petrol is 'up to E10' - worded in a similar way to the E5 labels, which  state 'up to E5'. This doesn't necessarily mean the petrol in the pump is E10.

Confirmed by the staff. Yes I asked. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the staff really know - I eventually got around to asking my local Sainsburys and at first they said yes it was E10, but when I asked at a later fill-up a different person told me it's still E5 so I don't know what to believe!

I haven't noticed any kind of price drop or mpg hit to indicate the change, but chances are even if E10 is cheaper they wouldn't pass the saving on to us, and the Mk4 is so efficient it's tricky to know whether any mpg changes are due to fuel, tyre pressures, my driving, rain etc., esp. since I don't have a good enough baseline to compare it to.

I actually suspect my local started running E10 last year, as I did see a noticeable mpg loss in my old petrol car over summer during (one of?) the lockdown, usually a time of year mpg does up! Didn't think about it too much at the time because it was offset by the massive drop in fuel prices! (I miss that... never thought I'd see sub-£1/litre fuel again!!)

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I'm not sure if the staff really know - I eventually got around to asking my local Sainsburys and at first they said yes it was E10, but when I asked at a later fill-up a different person told me it's still E5 so I don't know what to believe!

I haven't noticed any kind of price drop or mpg hit to indicate the change, but chances are even if E10 is cheaper they wouldn't pass the saving on to us, and the Mk4 is so efficient it's tricky to know whether any mpg changes are due to fuel, tyre pressures, my driving, rain etc., esp. since I don't have a good enough baseline to compare it to.

I actually suspect my local started running E10 last year, as I did see a noticeable mpg loss in my old petrol car over summer during (one of?) the lockdown, usually a time of year mpg does up! Didn't think about it too much at the time because it was offset by the massive drop in fuel prices! (I miss that... never thought I'd see sub-£1/litre fuel again!!)

It won’t affect me anyway as I always use super unleaded e5 lol 😂 

41 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I actually suspect my local started running E10 last year

If they did, legally they would have had to display E10 labels on the appropriate pumps last year.

The only car I used fancy fuels in was my old D4D because it actually had a noticeable effect - Made the engine run noticeably smoother, I figure because the V-Power diesel ignited more readily; Tried some V-Power petrol in the Mk2 a couple times but didn't do anything, which makes sense for petrol engines that aren't set up to use the extra octane. It seems the fancy petrols tend to only be useful in turbo-charged cars. I'm afraid the Mk4 is probably going to only see the cheapest of petrols throughout its life, and maybe the odd shot of redex cleaner!

It's a shame E85 isn't a thing here - If they were serious about pollution and not just after the increased revenue of us having to use more fuel, it could have incentivize manufacturers to offer flex-fuel engines. They already make them for other countries so it wouldn't take much!

Of course, with this 2030 cutoff looming, I think almost all manufacturers have cut R&D in combustion engines completely so this is probably going to be as good as it gets. A pity, as I really wanted to see what other innovations could be had after the disappointment of Mazda's Skyactiv-X...  Ducted diesel injection was of particular interest to me as it could have had a really big environmental effect if it worked, and then was rolled out to trucks, planes and ships, but it seems that's been killed off too by this premature switch to electrics...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If they did, legally they would have had to display E10 labels on the appropriate pumps last year.

The reverse of that argument is that if they are currently labelling pumps E10 but it contains E5 people would shy towards the much more expensive Super unleaded E5. 
that is itself is a shady and perhaps illegal practice. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links